are you embarrased

Show up next time with a plastic garbage bag and tell her how expensive it is ;) Brag until she tells you to shut up. :roflmfao: Think she'd get the hint? Or maybe you could put the bag over her head when she asks. ;) I hate when people ask how much stuff costs. I always say "to much" and leave it at that. Or if they keep pressing, I totally over-exaggerate and say $20k.[/quote]

That's a really good answer, I'm gonna try that next time someone asks me!

Hi everyone...I'm new as you can probably tell. I live in East Tennessee and pretty much no one here even knows what a Balenciaga is. I t just get complimented on my magenta's color a lot. Now people around here do know what Louis Vuitton is, so I either get eye rolls or people assuming it's fake. Just the other day I was a the pharmacy, with my LV, and the older clerk goes "what a cute purse, where can I get one?" I felt so embarrassed to tell her, so I just said that I'd had it for years and didn't think they make them anymore. :s

Of course...it depends on the friends and others with whom you come in contact. My circle would truly think there is something seriously wrong with me.

But isn't all this angst just another excellent reason for us to come here to share with each other? :yahoo::heart::heart::heart::woohoo:

i know i shouldnt as its my money but i do...! when my friends says ooh another new bag! its lovely where did you get it?!? i just mumble.. oh this thing..i found it on ebay! im not sure if they are familar with balenciaga or if they do they probably think its the style version of the bag not the real thing! my mum is not too happy with me spending that much on a bag..she dont ask now! she always say that as soon as you start buying expensive bags, thats you hooked..you will buy more and more expensive bags! so thats why i love it here! i can show them off with pride as everybody share the same passion here

Authentic Bal bags aren't that common in my country and I heard comments like 'Why does a Bal bag costs so much? It looks that an ordinary bag'. I guess that's because there's a lot of cheap lookalikes floating around

it depends who it is. if it's a close friend and we both like fashion i'll tell her. well they probably know anyway!
if it's someone i don't really know i won't say how much it really is. plus many people won't recognize it anyway, it just looks like any bag, which i have no problem with. everyone spends their money differently anyway. the way i see it it doesn't matter to them if they don't know what it is it wont hurt to have them not know how much it is :angel: even though its none of their business there are judgemental people out there and i'd just like to avoid those nasty situations all together, happened a few times :rolleyes:

With the exception of a purse lovin' friend (she's a MJ lover!) I never bring it up. People just freak out too much! Hey my Jeep is 10 years old, and I save money on other things. What can I say: this is my thing - beautiful bags and accessories. I love all things Bottega Veneta and Balenciaga, I can't help it!!!! BV lovers always know how much they bags and accessories are (you get "the look") but people that don't know the Balenciaga brand are always eager to find out how much your bag is - if they don't already know, I don't say.

This is a great thread. I thought I was the only one who was quietly enjoying my handbags while my friends (who are not into this kind of thing at all - its not a commonly popular thing where I live) are totally oblivious to my secret pleasures. This doesn't take away from it at all - if anything it makes it better because it is mine alone.

I never had anyone who asked me how much my bags were. I was talking to my best friend one time and the cost of the Balenciaga bags came up, and she was in a financially difficult situation at the time. I didn't want to make her feel bad, but I didn't want to lie to her either. After all, she is an amazing person who is very understanding and not a bit judgmental. She was a bit surprised since everything she owns is under $200-300, but she didn't see it as a negative thing.

But as I said before, she is an awesome person and I wasn't scared of being judged by her at all. If the same topic came up with other people, I would have been so much more nervous and uncomfortable.

So I never felt embarassed before...until yeasterday evening.
I went out with a friend of mine and a couple of other girls.
My friend knew how much does my Balenciaga cost, of course (when she asked me, I told her: I thought she was interested).
A girl says "Oh, I love your bag!" (EB first BTW)
I didn't even have the time to say thank you... my friend says "Yes, but do you know how much is it?!"
:shame:.. my face

"at least 600 euros!"

:s ... my face (luckily she didn't arrive to the actual price!)

I don't like these kind of information being given, expecially to a very simple person, a girl who is... simple and buys cheap clothes. I don't feel confortable: a prefer not to say "oh, yes this is a max mara coat, and that's a balenciaga pair of boots,etc...".
And both the other girls started saying "I would never ever spend that much on a bag!"
I didn't reply, since I understood their lifestyle, etc... but I was a bit angry.
I rarely go clubbing, I'm just so tired in the week-ends, while these girls always do. Go out for dinner, then concerts, cinema, etc.. you can easyly spend 100 euros/week like that.
So, after a couple of months... here's the bag!
To explain that, I would have had to judge their lifestyle, something I don't like to do, but I can't stand being judged :cursing:

No, I am not embarrassed at all.....my friends have very expencive stuff themselves;).....although I would never ever tell my co-workers how much my bags/clothes/shoes etc cost.....they would lable me crazy,LOL

Kat;)

I agree with you Babi, some (many) people go clubbing/dining every weekend and spend loads of money which in the end would buy them many bbags! I don´t go clubbing/dining out very often as I´m mostly too tired, and I always have work to do when I get home (I am a language teacher...so it´s a never ending work load,LOL)

I think it was a little rude of your friend to say "do you know how much it costs" when the other girl complimented you on your lovely bag!

Kat:heart:

So I never felt embarassed before...until yeasterday evening.
I went out with a friend of mine and a couple of other girls.
My friend knew how much does my Balenciaga cost, of course (when she asked me, I told her: I thought she was interested).
A girl says "Oh, I love your bag!" (EB first BTW)
I didn't even have the time to say thank you... my friend says "Yes, but do you know how much is it?!"
:shame:.. my face

"at least 600 euros!"

:s ... my face (luckily she didn't arrive to the actual price!)

I don't like these kind of information being given, expecially to a very simple person, a girl who is... simple and buys cheap clothes. I don't feel confortable: a prefer not to say "oh, yes this is a max mara coat, and that's a balenciaga pair of boots,etc...".
And both the other girls started saying "I would never ever spend that much on a bag!"
I didn't reply, since I understood their lifestyle, etc... but I was a bit angry.
I rarely go clubbing, I'm just so tired in the week-ends, while these girls always do. Go out for dinner, then concerts, cinema, etc.. you can easyly spend 100 euros/week like that.
So, after a couple of months... here's the bag!
To explain that, I would have had to judge their lifestyle, something I don't like to do, but I can't stand being judged :cursing:

I agree with you Babi, some (many) people go clubbing/dining every weekend and spend loads of money which in the end would buy them many bbags! I don´t go clubbing/dining out very often as I´m mostly too tired, and I always have work to do when I get home (I am a language teacher...so it´s a never ending work load,LOL)

I think it was a little rude of your friend to say "do you know how much it costs" when the other girl complimented you on your lovely bag!

Kat:heart:

:yes: She's a bit rude by nature.... but I know her since we were children and I can stand (well...most of the times:rolleyes:).
What I don't understand is: each one of us works and earns money. Each one of us has a lifestyle (I always work too, so unfortunately I don't have so much free time to go travelling or clubbing as much as I'd like to) and spends the money on the basis of that lifestyle. So, where's the problem?
Moreover, when we see (and here I see tons of them) people carrying Fendi, LV, Gucci, Prada bags.... I never hear a friend of mine asking "how much is it?" Probably because they know it. But they got surprised for a B.bag...I don't understand.
Anyway next time I'll say it's a fake plastic bag I bought for 100$ :roflmfao: And I'll avoid any comment.

I have a dear friend who is just a doll and always looks FABulous. She doesn't get how much I spend on bags and made the comment when I offered to sell her one I was selling, "I can't afford it". (But, she spends way more on clothes than I do...good for her! her choice)

but, the truth is, she could...if it was a priority like to me! LOL (priority?! you get me)
I'm kind of like the above poster, there are a lot of things I don't spend money on that my friends do and it all comes out in the wash in the end.

My friends go to dinner all the time, have drinks, go to bars to watch sports...I'm not into that as much, so she 'drinks' her bag! :smile:

I have a girlfriend who has an amazing collection of fine jewelry, gems, diamonds. She doesn't even carry a purse!

Another spends money w/her husband on Harley's, Harley gear/leather coats and travels around.

Another has their children in every traveling sport imaginable and is at hotels every wknd., sports gear, etc.

You get the point...we all have something we spend money on, so if someone gets on you for spending on a purse, you know they have "their thing".