Anyone wish they were as stylish as their handbag?

This is such a great topic and I would add that is very much a cultural thing. French & Italian women are generally very well turned out no matter their age ( I say generally because there are always exceptions and no doubt someone here knows some badly turned out ones.:biggrin:) Europeans tend to buy less clothes and everything is nicely coordinated. When I visit Paris i often see them carry old battered bags (vintage Hermes abound) with their impeccable outfits. Having said that the women in Manhattan are the most well groomed women I’ve ever seen. Some of them looked practically airbrushed.

We live in a part of the US where workout clothes (without having ever worked out) and LV Neverfull abounds. I feel like folks don’t really make an effort. My grandmother on the other hand (European) would have rather died than left the house wearing anything less than her best.

Maybe we need to move to Manhattan or Europe :P

I understand where you are coming from and use to think that way too but as I got older and wiser (at least I think so lol), I started to realize that Hermès bags, particularly Birkins, can really be dressed however you like. I think I was putting more emphasis on style of dress with the bags than others so I decided to just dress according to however I feel and just let everyone else do whatever they want. I shop at all types of places for clothes from Old Navy, Gap, BR and J.Crew to Saks, Neiman’s and Bergdorf’s. It’s all a matter of dressing however I feel comfortable and me making the bag look good not the other way around. I am one of those people that takes pride in dressing well and for me, that doesn’t mean it has to all be high end, ultra expensive pieces which I rarely wear except on special occasions but clothing that makes me feel good, confident and no fuss clothing

Like you, I’m not so worried about where I shop so much as how pieces fit together in an outfit. When our kids were little and growing quickly I shopped at Old Navy constantly. There was no way to keep up!

I still frequent Target for my own clothes; I don’t own many high end clothing pieces. I’m tall and lean and none of them usually look good on me, it I digress.

I think grabbing my handbags sometimes just gives me pause. Especially these days seeing as our family is going through a very difficult season. I’ll go to grab my handbag, look at her being so very stylish and think “It will take me an extra 5 minutes to put myself together and I’ll feel better, too”

There is this school of thought that if you wear a Hermes or a Chanel (and throw a Cartier love or juc into the mix) you can get away with cheap random clothes because they ‘elevate’ the look. Don’t agree with this at all.

Amen to that. It's perfectly fine to wear cheap random clothes, but frankly dumb to think that an expensive bag will somehow disguise or blur the fact that they are cheap random clothes. I was planning to be a designer in my youth and trained as a tailor, so I have a sharp eye for quality clothes.

Last edited:
So happy for you! It doesn’t come naturally to some of us :amuse:

Well, I wear mostly Yohji Yamamoto and some Comme des Garçons. Lots of black gabardine. I can grab any random stuff and still look put-together. Perfect for a lazy person like me. :biggrin:

But really, I wish no-one would feel the need to live up to their accessories. Just use whatever you like, as long as it's appropriate for the situation.

Last edited:
We live in a part of the US where workout clothes (without having ever worked out) and LV Neverfull abounds. I feel like folks don’t really make an effort. My grandmother on the other hand (European) would have rather died than left the house wearing anything less than her best.

Maybe we need to move to Manhattan or Europe :P
I don’t think you need to move which is a bit drastic. :biggrin:Casual dressing has many advantages and one can always wear the best version of that. working out clothes can look very chic depending on how well put together they are. I mostly wear jeans, but even so lots of different ways to wear them.

Reactions: Cookiefiend and Ulf