Books & Music anyone reading "50 shades of grey" trilogy?

It's not an abusive relationship. It's SMBD, light on the SM.

I started reading them again because I really was sucked in by their relationship. I read them so fast the first time that I am noticing so many things I don't recall from reading them only two weeks or so ago.

I too did not find the relationship to be abusive, though not a role model for a healthy relationship either. But that's what makes it all the more compelling, IMHO. I think if anyone goes into this book thinking it's going to be hardcore BDSM will be disappointed. I'm gearing up for a reread myself! :smile:

basicandorganic said:
This book, while trying to portray a D/s relationship, falls flat on it's face. This isn't what BDSM is like in the least bit. It's a complete unsafe perversion of BDSM, not to mention dangerous. There are so many red flags throughout the entire novel and I would have to say that their relationship IS abusive and a disgrace to the entire world of kink. Lord help anyone in a D/s relationship like the two in this book...

I legitimately cannot believe that this thread is as big as it is. Not only was the book poorly written, but also offensive to an entire sub-culture. But ok.

I thought the whole context of the book was Christian trying to get Anna into a proper D/S relationship AND failing in that department. :smile:
I would agree though that the author has rose-tinted certain aspects .

However, going through the whole 50++ pages of this thread youll see that not everyone is enthusiastic about the books, some like, some don't...the thread's size is a reflection of people's curiosity and ideas (it even got out of topic a few pages hehe) - not just all-praise from fans. :smile:

I too did not find the relationship to be abusive, though not a role model for a healthy relationship either. But that's what makes it all the more compelling, IMHO. I think if anyone goes into this book thinking it's going to be hardcore BDSM will be disappointed. I'm gearing up for a reread myself! :smile:

Completely agree that while not abusive, it certainly wasn't a healthy relationship.

I thought the whole context of the book was Christian trying to get Anna into a proper D/S relationship AND failing in that department. :smile:
I would agree though that the author has rose-tinted certain aspects .

However, going through the whole 50++ pages of this thread youll see that not everyone is enthusiastic about the books, some like, some don't...the thread's size is a reflection of people's curiosity and ideas (it even got out of topic a few pages hehe) - not just all-praise from fans. :smile:

I agree; they never had an actual D/S relationship so can't really fault the author for something that wasn't even really part of the story.

:lol::cutesy:

I am shocked to hear from most of my female friends how much they disliked Christian. Some say because he is controlling. Some say because he is rich. To each is own, I say. I also wanted to add that my favorite part of the trilogy was "Meet Fifty Shades" at the very end. I think it would have been pretty cool to read the first book from Christian's perspective, no?

H_addict said:
:lol::cutesy:

I am shocked to hear from most of my female friends how much they disliked Christian. Some say because he is controlling. Some say because he is rich. To each is own, I say. I also wanted to add that my favorite part of the trilogy was "Meet Fifty Shades" at the very end. I think it would have been pretty cool to read the first book from Christian's perspective, no?

Heard something to the effect that the author will also be writing from Christian's perspective. :smile:

I finished the trilogy last week, and started reading the first one again...in case I missed anything the first time around.

I agree on the hair color...he doesn't have copper colored hair in my mind either!

I finished the trilogy last week, and started reading the first one again...in case I missed anything the first time around.

I agree on the hair color...he doesn't have copper colored hair in my mind either!

Oh yeah...glad I don't have that image on my mind either....
(red = a certain talkative talk show host comes to mind) so....
just black/brown hair = a lloott of hot guys
blond = just Alexander Skaarsgard:graucho: