Books & Music Anyone Read "The Hunger Games" Trilogy?

The image of Peeta I had in my head was more of a average guy on the thin side with a soft face (I don't even remember what the description of him in the book was--but that's the impression I got from his character), so that cover goes against pretty much all of that (except for the blonde hair. haha)

I agree that their age and maturity is an issue for me at this point. Part of the books that was so gut wrenching was the fact that these people are "children," I can't remember what the ages were supposed to be but I thought Katniss was only like 14 or 15 in the first book. I always imagined her as a young girl, and this actress looks like she's in her 20s.

Not to say it won't be sad for young adults to kill each other off, but I thought the storyline about choosing children to fight to show the Capital's control over the districts is what made the hunger games idea work. The boys look older than I imagined too.

I agree that their age and maturity is an issue for me at this point. Part of the books that was so gut wrenching was the fact that these people are "children," I can't remember what the ages were supposed to be but I thought Katniss was only like 14 or 15 in the first book. I always imagined her as a young girl, and this actress looks like she's in her 20s.

Katniss is 16 at the start of THG, and actress Jennifer Lawrence is 20, turning 21 on Aug 15.

Yup, the 3rd book felt like she kind of ran out of ideas, but had to meet some deadline to publish, so just went "meh". I wish she had thought about it longer or pushed back the publication.

I work with teenagers, so I still think the actors that were cast look too old.

Does anyone know what the film will be rated (PG-13, etc.?). When I first read the trilogy, I thought if they're going to do a faithful adaptation it'll be nothing less than an R, but I doubt they'd go that route (because that'll be cutting out the main chunk of their audience [tweens/teenagers]).

Does anyone know what the film will be rated (PG-13, etc.?). When I first read the trilogy, I thought if they're going to do a faithful adaptation it'll be nothing less than an R, but I doubt they'd go that route (because that'll be cutting out the main chunk of their audience [tweens/teenagers]).
I thought the same thing! That scene with the muttations...wow. I bet it will be PG-13 - can't cut out the core audience (kinda a bummer, I'd love it to be R). I found it so hard to remember that this is a young adult's book! Some scenes in the other books are pretty violent too (sewer scenes).

Like many others here, I'm also 1) excitedly looking forward to the movie, 2) disappointed by the trailer, and 3) taken back by the casting choices. Peeta definitely does not match the description in the book right now, but maybe the movie magic can make the choice more convincing. I'm not surprised by Katniss being played by an older actress because almost ALL older teenage characters on TV and movies are played by actors/actresses well into their 20s: (almost) no one is convincing as teen-aged and hasn't been for a while.

In regards to the books, I actually really didn't like the whole love triangle thing...I didn't want much focus on the love part at all. And one can kinda see where the whole "Oh but he/they couldn't possibly like me" thing was going from a mile away. But I am awfully biased here because I'm not into romance movies OR books, and I find that in this case it takes away from the story that is so beautifully compelling and tragically haunting by itself. With that being said, I can definitely understand WHY there's a love story/triangle to it, given the intended audience of the books. So I bear with it, and even appreciate the male characters.

As much as I like happy endings, I also actually appreciate the somewhat anti-climatic, the somewhat unresolved/unsatisfying closure of the books because it seemed more realistic and much less Hollywood. None of that "happily ever after" against all odds no matter what crap. I'm so hypocritical haha...I like happy stories and happy endings, but I really rationally can't stand them sometimes.