Any ProActiv users out there? A true acne cure?

I've been using Proactiv for 4 years and I love it. Although I only use the renewing cleanser, I know it has been a vital role in keeping me clear. I've battled acne since age 14, so I have tried all that is out there. I used it in combination with antibiotics, Accutane, Differin, you name it.

I'm finally clear, and I swear by:
1) Clinique Clarifying Lotion #2 (It's actually a toner)
2) Proactiv Renewing Cleanser
3) Benzoyl Peroxide for spot treatment whenever I need it

Hope that helps! :smile:

I tried pro-activ about a year ago...when i first started college...i would occasionally break out with some pimples near my chin...for about two weeks after i started using proactive...my skin looked GREAT...it was glowing and completely clear...however on the third week, i started to break out with the BIGGEST, most PAINFUL zits EVER...this stopped happening after i stopped using proactiv...
BUT my pharmacist has been using it for a few years and her skin is amazing...so i would say that it works differently for everyone.
I would recommend that you try it, because it might just be that miracle cure for you :biggrin:

I don't know if this helps at all, but I have been using Cleocin T pledgets (prescribed by dermatologist) for 10 years! That together with Differin totally cleared up my skin. I did not have bad acne- like I would not need Acutane- but I am seriously anal when it comes to my skin. And with Differin, you just need to accept the fact that it will take 6-8 weeks to really get rid of everyting. Then its smooth sailing (at least it was for me). After I got pregnant, I switched from Differin to glycolic acid and it has been great.

Birth control pills also really help with acne. For me, Yasmin was excellent.

I used to use ProActive but as other people have pointed out, my body appeared to have become immune to it and it has no effect on me whatsoever now. I just got the Mario Badescu Drying Lotion, which is suppose to make pimples go away in a day. It actually seems to work but I would have to try it out for a little while longer to gauge it's effectiveness?

I tried Proactiv. It works. I noticed that I had to scrub my face with the soap for at least 2 minutes in order for it to work; anything shorter and it won't do much. I stopped because it was a little pricy. Recently, I found AcneFree, which rivals Proactiv. I think it works just the same, and is much friendlier to the wallet. I got it at Costco.

about a year ago something went horribly horribly wrong with my skin. i have always been very lucky in the acne department...my skin has always been one of my best features, even as a teen. so last year, when all of sudden i had a few big painful underground cysts as well as the the yucky whitehead ones all over my cheeks, chin and forehead, i FREAKED. to say i was distraught was an understatement. i seriously did not want to leave my house.

i tried EVERTHING. drugstores, department stores, spas...i was about to go to the derm without insurance and buy anything he/she reccomended when my husband talked me into trying proactive first. i used the cleanser, toner and lotion for about 2 months, then just the repairing lotion for another month until it ran out. i have very dry senstive skin, and this line was VERY drying, but it definately did the trick. i added my own richer moisturizer (dove sensitive skin) whenever i felt too dry. my skin has been clear since then. like i said, i've never had an acne problem...i think that's why i didn't have to continue to use it. proactive seriously saved my skin. try it out...they have a 30 day money back return policy if you don't like it.

I've tried Proactiv and at first, it worked really well, but once you use it for a while, your skin gets use to it and it doesn't work as well anymore. It's worth a shot, though. I stopped using it about a year ago, and I don't have acne anymore.

I don't have acne problems but my sister does. She tried Provactive and it did not work for her. She then went on the medication Acutane and that is the only thing that cleared up her skin. However there are MANY dangerous side affects to the medication. You have to look into it very good.

I used to have acne really bad thati would even refuse to go to school cause of my face. My doctor put me on accutane for 6 mo's (yes wierd side effects), and i haven't had a break out in about 3 years. I still have the scars, but they're slowly fading... so i'm probably gonna do some microdermabrasion for that.

I don't have serious acne but my skin is really dry and fair and Proactiv made it worse. My dermatologist perscribed an antibiotic lotion called Clindasol Cream for me a few weeks ago and I've never had such clear skin! I use it twice a day...it looks like a regular skin lotion and it has an SPF of 15. It has also helped to fade the hyperpigmentation I have from some of my acne scars. Great stuff!

I bought Proactiv more because I thought it helped with the scars left over from being a gawky teen, however while it's pretty good for reg acne it realy doesn't demished the scars as much as I'd like.

What do you ladies suggest for scarring?

Wow! thank you ladies for all the info! I kind of gotten lost with all the different drugs that were brought up. Accutane sounds wonderful but I don't know about those side effects! sounds very scary! I am going to give Proactive a try!
Balenciagalove: thank you for giving me the opportunity to try it out!