Animals Death in Movies Sadder Than a Persons Death??

I love ALL living creatures, even all the spiders, honeybees, ants, and creepy crawlies that other people have no remorse in squishing - probably even some of you that tout animal lives as being so important.
To me, though, there are such varying degrees - it can get maddening - how do you decide where to draw the line? It is a personal choice, because you could even go so far as to say oh - I can't even pick a leaf off a tree because it is alive! I try to be rational about my feelings, because obviously sometimes insects just die or end up dying as a side effect of something else...and it still makes me sad but I move on. The honeybee Colony Collapse Disorder breaks my heart, the poor bees work so hard and just are inexplicably sick and dying off! It's that type of stuff that really bothers me. We all need each other to have happy and healthy lives - whether it is snakes, a praying mantis, even the scavenger wasps that really don't get along with me...it is a balance of sorts, and while humans are what we are (in terms of our development and technological advancements), we wouldn't have had the opportunity to thrive unless there was some kind of ecological balance upheld by the other creatures in order to make our environment conducive to our evolvement.

I will not get into it b/c these are my beliefs, actually the beliefs of many. I am not desensitize to humans dying. I do not feel the same for animals even though I have had pets and will have them again and love them and take care of them but they are just that, pets, not people. I will also not stand around if an animal is suffering in some way or I see someone being cruel to them. Those who choose to be cruel to animals should be punished for it. Wild animals whether they be in Africa, Australia, where have you is another matter, they are wild. I do not even condone hunting unless it is sanctioned to reduce the population or they are a threat to human life. Killing for money or for the sport of it, to me, is something I cannot wrap my head around.
I completely agree with you... My religion teaches us not to be cruel to animals.. Here's a link to an article that I found very beautiful.. http://islam.thetruecall.com/modules.php?name=News&file=article&sid=296

Last edited:
i get sadder over the animal deaths than human deaths in movies as well. i think it is because the animals can't defend themselves and don't know better. i do get sad over certain human deaths too obviously if it is a character i like...but animals can't help themselves so it is always sad.

I was watching a mvie the other night...nw I can't remember the name...but a serial killer movie (the new one with Diane Lane), and at the begining it starts out by torturing and killing a kitten....I almost couldn't bear it!! Although the movie went on to show horrible things being done to humans....the kitten part was really terrible to me!! I am not sure why this is....maybe it is because animals are so helpless and undemanding. They are willing to give love and affection and all they ask for in return is to be taken care of!! Good question though.....

I was watching a mvie the other night...nw I can't remember the name...but a serial killer movie (the new one with Diane Lane), and at the begining it starts out by torturing and killing a kitten....I almost couldn't bear it!! Although the movie went on to show horrible things being done to humans....the kitten part was really terrible to me!! I am not sure why this is....maybe it is because animals are so helpless and undemanding. They are willing to give love and affection and all they ask for in return is to be taken care of!! Good question though.....
Ya thats to movie they were discussing on the forum... Untraceable I think thats the movie your referring to..

Something that hasn't been mentioned is that when watching a movie, you are seeing -and therefore forming feelings/opinions on- what the director WANTS you to see. In general, the death/pain of an animal is portrayed as a terrible thing- and you, as the movie-goer, have been manipulated into feeling the way the director wants you to feel.

It goes the other way too-think about movies like Jaws or Anaconda- did you really feel bad when those animals died? But if the movies had been different- say, Jaws befriended a small boy and they frolicked in the water together, and then was mistakenly killed by some fishman who thought he was attacking said small boy, or the snake in Anaconda was a "good" snake who killed and brought food to a starving Amazonian rain forest village and then was killed trying to save the village medicine man from hunters....well, you get my point, I think...

haha i know what you mean. i cried when i watch will smith's german sheperd die in "I am Legend."

And I thought I was the only one who cried in that movie. I felt like an idiot in the theatre, though!

I definately get more upset watching an animal die than a human. But it all depends how the animal or human is portrayed in the movie. Usually, the animal is an innocent companion, and that is usually what gets to me.

Last edited:
Hm-m... I feel compelled to comment.

I generally just love animals more than human beings because animals, in my view, are pure. They don't torture, don't rape, don't kidnap, don't declare wars on each other etc.

It gets my blood boiling when someone says "oh, it's just a pet" or "oh, it's just an animal". And you are human... how does that make you superior?

Again, this is just my view and my belief and I should really probably stop.

The bottom line is that it's good that people have strong feeling towards both. I, for instance, only support SPCA but then there are other people who support human-related charities, such as United Way and I think that this world needs both kinds of people. For balance.

I love ALL living creatures, even all the spiders, honeybees, ants, and creepy crawlies that other people have no remorse in squishing - probably even some of you that tout animal lives as being so important.
To me, though, there are such varying degrees - it can get maddening - how do you decide where to draw the line? It is a personal choice, because you could even go so far as to say oh - I can't even pick a leaf off a tree because it is alive! I try to be rational about my feelings, because obviously sometimes insects just die or end up dying as a side effect of something else...and it still makes me sad but I move on. The honeybee Colony Collapse Disorder breaks my heart, the poor bees work so hard and just are inexplicably sick and dying off! It's that type of stuff that really bothers me. We all need each other to have happy and healthy lives - whether it is snakes, a praying mantis, even the scavenger wasps that really don't get along with me...it is a balance of sorts, and while humans are what we are (in terms of our development and technological advancements), we wouldn't have had the opportunity to thrive unless there was some kind of ecological balance upheld by the other creatures in order to make our environment conducive to our evolvement.

:goodpost: Candace

I get really upset when a dog dies in a movie. I love every dog I ever enounter and feel a special bond with them. I can't say that for 99% of the people I meet.

:tup::tup: For Candance. OMG, I found out the other day about the Bee situation, I was eating my frozzen yogurt when I read in the container that honeybee's are just dissapearing. We humans are destroying everything little by little, I couldnt say the same about animals. They dont harm porpusely for fun like we sometimes do.

Last edited:
I'm sad when humans or animals die in movies... I was bawling my eyes out in Air Bud, and he wasn't killed, he was dog-napped! Animals -- for the most part -- are just so innocent and they can't ask for help when they're in trouble. I'm almost tearing up thinking about it.