Am I being too picky?

Just wondering why Chanel would rather send a bag to a local repair shop rather than Chanel’s own repair in Paris?
Apparently Chanel doesn't own a repair shop, not in Paris, not anywhere based on the information shared in another thread. It's been been outsourced to 3rd party companies but every now and then SA's would feed us with the info about the our Chanel items being sent straight to Paris for inspection and repair, justifying why it takes months to a year for the repair. :facepalm:

https://forum.purseblog.com/threads...the-19-tote-saga-thread.1054427/post-35288089

And we don't have proof that any of our repair requests ever made it to their glorious atelier in Paris. :lol:

I've never needed a repair, but no, so I have no proof otherwise. It's why I don't believe everything I read!
I have read here for years that some pieces are repaired locally, and that seems reasonable if a local repair shop is capable of a minor repair. It also seems reasonable that other items may need to go to Paris or Europe if more complicated in nature.

Thank you for your opinion :smile: As you have mentioned all these issues seem to be common! What bothers me the most I guess is the off centered turnlock(second picture) which may make it look like a fake classic flap. It is not visible when the flap is closed but still kind of bothers me! Unfortunately I do like the leather which is why I am hesitating to return it despite all these issues :sad:

I think Chanel has had these little issues with its quality for many years, it's just that we scrutinise more now at these prices. As an anecdote, I had a pre-loved classic flap from 2014 which is often referenced as a time when the quality was much better. And structurally it was perfectly symmetrical, the lining was perfect etc. But the caviar was not very nice, it was very very dull and squishy. The caviar I see these days is much nicer than the bag I had. You win some, you lose some imo. If you want really perfect quality I'd be looking for a vintage 90s lambskin. But they come with their own issues.

Reactions: Tina1010 and Swanky
I think Chanel has had these little issues with its quality for many years, it's just that we scrutinise more now at these prices. As an anecdote, I had a pre-loved classic flap from 2014 which is often referenced as a time when the quality was much better. And structurally it was perfectly symmetrical, the lining was perfect etc. But the caviar was not very nice, it was very very dull and squishy. The caviar I see these days is much nicer than the bag I had. You win some, you lose some imo. If you want really perfect quality I'd be looking for a vintage 90s lambskin. But they come with their own issues.
There’s issues with most things/bags if you look closely. Visit every forum, there’s quality issues in all of them. We have the right to be picky! But if perfection is sought, you may never find it.

I’m freakishly “chill” I’ll admit. I give a quick once over to my purchases but I do not look them over super carefully.
YMMV. I just feel like if you’re looking for an issue, you’ll find one. I’m not discounting true quality issues or defects, but I see people measuring mm on flaps, and it seems so stressful.
I’ve been buying Chanel for around 20 years, I have not noticed a decline in quality at all.
I feel like I’m officially “the unpopular opinion” now because I just don’t have the same negative experience as others. I’m not playing devils advocate, I’m just sharing my personal experience.

ETA: I LOVE lambskin, I’ll choose a lamb Chanel over caviar any day :love:

There’s issues with most things/bags if you look closely. Visit every forum, there’s quality issues in all of them. We have the right to be picky! But if perfection is sought, you may never find it.

I’m freakishly “chill” I’ll admit. I give a quick once over to my purchases but I do not look them over super carefully.
YMMV. I just feel like if you’re looking for an issue, you’ll find one. I’m not discounting true quality issues or defects, but I see people measuring mm on flaps, and it seems so stressful.
I’ve been buying Chanel for around 20 years, I have not noticed a decline in quality at all.
I feel like I’m officially “the unpopular opinion” now because I just don’t have the same negative experience as others. I’m not playing devils advocate, I’m just sharing my personal experience.

ETA: I LOVE lambskin, I’ll choose a lamb Chanel over caviar any day :love:

Yup we do have the right to be picky! I changed my squishy dull 19 series for one of the new ones, I'll take the beautiful caviar from the last year over the slightly cleaner lining of my 19 series any day.

Interesting that you say Chanel quality has not declined in 20 years as well!

Reactions: Swanky and Tina1010
I bought a woc earlier this week and when I took it home I noticed the cc logo is of center. I tried contacting the SA and she keeps telling me she’s busy and she will call me later. I also started feeling like maybe I’m too nit picky but honestly for the price range I expected better quality.

I think at this point it’s also about perception. If you approach Chanel bags with the mindset ‚uhhh I read that these bags often have quality issues‘ compared to Hermes where it’s probably like ‚it’s Handmade and perfect‘, then you’re bound to look at them with different eyes.

Not discounting actual problems that truly exist. I mean we‘ve probably all seen crooked flaps in a boutique
Oh gosh AMEN!!! To this! I have tried in so many posts discussing with all these recent chanel haters that this is the problem. But I never managed to explain it like u just did. This is why I roll my eyes at all these posts lately and especially the big dramatic “the rise and stall of chanel” thread. If u go in it thinking “I know I’ll find a flaw” YOU. Will. Find. It.

It’s annoying me because it’s gotten to a degree where I really feel someone is going out of their way to talk bad about the brand. Ppl know how viral the internet can get and how widely spread this forum is. Wouldn’t surprise me if a competitors employee is behind it sometimes just imagine If that were the case! And now alll the first-time-consumers go “oh no I’ve heard so many bad things about quality, I’ll look at it with a microscope”.

• Love
Reactions: SweetPKN
Yup we do have the right to be picky! I changed my squishy dull 19 series for one of the new ones, I'll take the beautiful caviar from the last year over the slightly cleaner lining of my 19 series any day.

Interesting that you say Chanel quality has not declined in 20 years as well!
Same here - i have been buying chanel for 5 years but own bags from the 80ies 90ies and 00ies too - all superb quality, including my recent purchases from 2022, 2021 and 2020❤

btw: the mind-blowing thing to me is that if you do speak negatively about chanel right now you’ll find a whole gang of people supporting you and chiming in. But if you still love this brand and can find no flaw with your products but instead love the quality of them, people will rally against you, question your sanity and your standards So here come the haters in 3.2.1….

I bought a woc earlier this week and when I took it home I noticed the cc logo is of center. I tried contacting the SA and she keeps telling me she’s busy and she will call me later. I also started feeling like maybe I’m too nit picky but honestly for the price range I expected better quality.
I saw your photo in the other thread.. and yeah I agree with you.. the CC is quite off center towards the right. I would want mine centered as best as possible on the WOC.

Reactions: cocobutter123
Same here - i have been buying chanel for 5 years but own bags from the 80ies 90ies and 00ies too - all superb quality, including my recent purchases from 2022, 2021 and 2020❤

btw: the mind-blowing thing to me is that if you do speak negatively about chanel right now you’ll find a whole gang of people supporting you and chiming in. But if you still love this brand and can find no flaw with your products but instead love the quality of them, people will rally against you, question your sanity and your standards So here come the haters in 3.2.1….
Everyone has their own standards of what they can or cannot accept. It's not about being a hater, we can still enjoy the brand, love the bags, love the designs, but at the same time feel disappointment with the flaws and quality control because it costs a lot of money.

Ok here's my new situation.
I purchased a black cf after going through 6 less than acceptable bags. I love the CF style so much, that I purchased a beige even after the experience with the black. Everything about the beige is perfect ... but the turnlock is installed crooked. I love the bag so much so I'm keeping it, but at the same time it's disappointing that the artisan couldn't take a few seconds extra to adjust the turnlock perfectly for a $8,200 bag. Again it's less than satisfactory quality control and it's disappointing.
Because as a consumer now I have to send this bag away for weeks to get it fixed when it really takes someone 2 seconds to make this adjustment. Not a hater.. I love my bag. But I am still disappointed with the lack of attention to detail by QC even with the logo.

Last edited:
Reactions: PurseCloset