Am I being too picky?

My biggest takeaway as a quiet reader of this thread is that I apparently have zero standards lol

The bag on the last page looks fine to me and I would’ve just cut the excess thread with sharp small scissors. I‘ve done that once with one of my Chanel bags. Initially I rolled my eyes, then just cut the frayed end and forgot about it.

Don’t get me wrong, I‘m not judgmental. If it’s not up to your expectations then that’s more than fine.

Hmm.. all these issues are very common unfortunately. All the flaps I saw, while they were not lopsided, they did not line up to the exact lines either. So yours doesn't look bad to me. Turnlock, 4/7 I have seen also closed similarly, slightly tilted. Very annoying but they don't consider this a defect. Also the stamping that's faded or sort of messy is common too. In regards to the leather fraying...most people here would also probably advise to snip it off as it looks like excess thread on the side of the bag. But as for the chain, I don't know how to guide there.. let's see what others say.

It looks like you got a really nice caviar with texture and puffy quilts. Every bag I was given had flatter quilts and really soft caviar you could barely feel.
Thank you for your opinion :smile: As you have mentioned all these issues seem to be common! What bothers me the most I guess is the off centered turnlock(second picture) which may make it look like a fake classic flap. It is not visible when the flap is closed but still kind of bothers me! Unfortunately I do like the leather which is why I am hesitating to return it despite all these issues :sad:

Reactions: Tina1010
It is not visible when the flap is closed but still kind of bothers me! Unfortunately I do like the leather which is why I am hesitating to return it despite all these issues :sad:

If it bother you now you're better off return it while you can and wait for a better one. I think over the years how people perceive luxury handbags in 'acceptable' conditions have changed drastically, a lot of have to do with the products that are being put out by the brands. I remember a few years back LV would never put out a bag where the LV logo is being cut off and that was one of the pointer when spotting real vs fake. But I've been seeing a ton of newer models where the leather tabs or hardware are cutting into the LV logo nowadays that I guess it's just became the norm. I still don't buy LV bags where the LV logos get cut off and my friends think I'm being too nitpicky. You just gotta ask yourself whether it's something acceptable to you.

Reactions: Tina1010
Thank you for your opinion :smile: As you have mentioned all these issues seem to be common! What bothers me the most I guess is the off centered turnlock(second picture) which may make it look like a fake classic flap. It is not visible when the flap is closed but still kind of bothers me! Unfortunately I do like the leather which is why I am hesitating to return it despite all these issues :sad:
If it bothers you, return it. If your only concern is about it looking fake, I don't personally think that because I've seen bags with similar issue. Are you planning to resell it? Then yes it would make sense to return for the perfect one. But if you're not planning to resell then I think it's ok because the leather looks really good.
My bags were not giving me 100% happiness so I returned and have zero regrets!

Last edited:
If it bother you now you're better off return it while you can and wait for a better one. I think over the years how people perceive luxury handbags in 'acceptable' conditions have changed drastically, a lot of have to do with the products that are being put out by the brands. I remember a few years back LV would never put out a bag where the LV logo is being cut off and that was one of the pointer when spotting real vs fake. But I've been seeing a ton of newer models where the leather tabs or hardware are cutting into the LV logo nowadays that I guess it's just became the norm. I still don't buy LV bags where the LV logos get cut off and my friends think I'm being too nitpicky. You just gotta ask yourself whether it's something acceptable to you.
Yes I totally agree with you! Conditions that were unacceptable are now becoming the norm. Classic flaps that were produced years back when demand wasn’t as high as now were of higher quality. I think demand for luxury bags have increased and they are under pressure to produce alot more than before, creating the new norm :sad:

If it bothers you, return it. If your only concern is about it looking fake, I don't personally think that because I've seen bags with similar issue. Are you planning to resell it? Then yes it would make sense to return for the perfect one. But if you're not planning to resell then I think it's ok because the leather looks really good.
My bags were not giving me 100% happiness so I returned and have zero regrets!
I don’t plan to resell it at the moment but I am worried that I might change my mind and decide to sell it in the future! I have one last day to make up my mind! Thank you so much for your advise! It really helped alot :smile:

Yes I totally agree with you! Conditions that were unacceptable are now becoming the norm. Classic flaps that were produced years back when demand wasn’t as high as now were of higher quality. I think demand for luxury bags have increased and they are under pressure to produce alot more than before, creating the new norm :sad:
In regards to your classic flap, if that was mine I can live with the turnlock not being perfectly centered because once the flap is closed you can't really tell, but the peeling of the leather sounds like a major red flag imo. There's another thread about the decline in the leather quality, and some discussion around bonded leather. If your bag starts to peel when brand new, what is it going to look like after some generous use over the years? :-s

It's hardly noticeable to me but as the price keep rising I'd expect the quality to meet my preference as well.
If you're not happy with the piece you should return it and wait for a while or the next season maybe? ... as the QA may improve.

I've had an unequal shine (if that's make sense) wallet that the SA denied as a defect and tell me it was the last one. So I decided to keep it but have to sell it later because it was always bothered me :sad:

My biggest takeaway as a quiet reader of this thread is that I apparently have zero standards lol

The bag on the last page looks fine to me and I would’ve just cut the excess thread with sharp small scissors. I‘ve done that once with one of my Chanel bags. Initially I rolled my eyes, then just cut the frayed end and forgot about it.

Don’t get me wrong, I‘m not judgmental. If it’s not up to your expectations then that’s more than fine.

Yup, I feel exactly the same way. But, if OP is unhappy with her purchase, simply return it. :smile:
These bags are mass produced, by machine (meaning not hand stitched), assembly line, in factories. If you would like more information, a thread started by @TraceySH contains many posts regarding the factory process. https://forum.purseblog.com/threads...merly-the-19-tote-saga-thread.1054427/page-54

I own mainly Hermes, including multiple Birkins and kelly bags, and honestly, I’m not sure that they would stand up to this kind of scrutiny. The only bag I own where every stitch is completely perfect and symmetrical is my entirely hand sewn Buffalo Dalmatian bag from Duret.

Last edited:
Yup, I feel exactly the same way. But, if OP is unhappy with her purchase, simply return it. :smile:
These bags are mass produced, by machine (meaning not hand stitched), assembly line, in factories. If you would like more information, a thread started by @TraceySH contains many posts regarding the factory process. https://forum.purseblog.com/threads...merly-the-19-tote-saga-thread.1054427/page-54

I own mainly Hermes, including multiple Birkins and kelly bags, and honestly, I’m not sure that they would stand up to this kind of scrutiny. The only bag I own where every stitch is completely perfect and symmetrical is my entirely hand sewn Buffalo Dalmatian bag from Duret.
I’m in full agreement with you. Where I shake my head is that every person who returns a bag contributes to the problem of people complaining that they didn’t get a fresh bag, that the bag has been handled. I would say people should not take the bag out of the store if it doesn’t meet expectations. I’m with you re how my Hermes bags would not stand up to scrutiny if I were to examine them with a microscope. Rising prices does not equate to rising quality, unfortunately. These two are independent of each other.

Hermes at least do their due diligence with after sale services, whereas with Chanel it's just a mixed bag, highly dependent on the particular SA who handle your request. It seems to be a norm that Chanel SA's would belittle the clients about their concerns with their bags, coming up with a bunch of excuses on why they won't accept the bag for repair, when at the most they just send off the bags to 3rd party repair shops anyway. I don't really buy any handbags from LV nowadays, but when I do it's not because of its superior quality or craftmanship, but because I like their after sale service and how easy & smooth it is for me to turn in the bag for repair, and sometimes (rare scenario) where LV even offer replacement or store credit toward new bag if they can't fix it. I don't know if Chanel will ever do the same for their clients.:amuse:

I’m in full agreement with you. Where I shake my head is that every person who returns a bag contributes to the problem of people complaining that they didn’t get a fresh bag, that the bag has been handled. I would say people should not take the bag out of the store if it doesn’t meet expectations. I’m with you re how my Hermes bags would not stand up to scrutiny if I were to examine them with a microscope. Rising prices does not equate to rising quality, unfortunately. These two are independent of each other.
Yes but unfortunately it's not that simple, especially for those of us who are purchasing these bags for the first time. Even after spending 20 minutes examining the bag in the store, I had an experience personally where I discovered the bag had two different leather which didn't match well (top flap portion vs the bottom inner portion by the turnlock). The differences were in quilt puffiness, shine and even how the texture felt to the touch. This I discovered after looking at the bag for a day or two at home. Its easy to miss things at the store when you feel rushed by the SA & all the bright lighting. While that wasn't a quality issue, it still didn't make me happy. It's not about scrutinizing the bag down to the stitch, but I'm aware that thousands of people are getting beautiful and almost perfect bags so it was more about why should I have to settle for a piece that costs the same but has a flaw too hard to ignore. Rising prices doesn't equate to quality but quality at these prices should never be compromised in the first place. Since then I've found a perfect bag but at least now I'm very happy that I didn't settle for less and can enjoy my bag the way I always wished I would.

Hermes at least do their due diligence with after sale services, whereas with Chanel it's just a mixed bag, highly dependent on the particular SA who handle your request. It seems to be a norm that Chanel SA's would belittle the clients about their concerns with their bags, coming up with a bunch of excuses on why they won't accept the bag for repair, when at the most they just send off the bags to 3rd party repair shops anyway. I don't really buy any handbags from LV nowadays, but when I do it's not because of its superior quality or craftmanship, but because I like their after sale service and how easy & smooth it is for me to turn in the bag for repair, and sometimes (rare scenario) where LV even offer replacement or store credit toward new bag if they can't fix it. I don't know if Chanel will ever do the same for their clients.:amuse:
Just wondering why Chanel would rather send a bag to a local repair shop rather than Chanel’s own repair in Paris?

I think at this point it’s also about perception. If you approach Chanel bags with the mindset ‚uhhh I read that these bags often have quality issues‘ compared to Hermes where it’s probably like ‚it’s Handmade and perfect‘, then you’re bound to look at them with different eyes.

Not discounting actual problems that truly exist. I mean we‘ve probably all seen crooked flaps in a boutique