Ahoy polloi (an island for the masses)

They say virtue is it’s own reward. :angel:

In this case they’re right. :party:

When my DH returned home and saw the untampered packages he decided I didn’t have to wait for Mother’s Day for his gift! :happydance:
So I opened the package... :presents:

And thought..... :wtf:

It wasn’t either of the Meyers bags I’d expected. :confused1:

“You’re surprised aren’t you?” he said, clearly pleased with himself. :yes:

”Shocked.” I agreed with a watery smile. “What made you choose this purse?” :crybaby:

”Well you don’t have one like it.” he replied. “What do you think?” :smile:

(what I thought was a *?#! Clutch! :facepalm: )

But what I said was “Oh sweetie, you shouldn’t have!” :hugs:

And I meant it. :pout:

Not that I would let him know how disappointed I was. Instead I swallowed hard and examined the purse thoroughly, feigning enthusiasm. :yahoo:

Admittedly it was in wonderful condition for a bag made in the late seventies. The woven leather was a deep rich chocolate brown, soft and very pliable. :drool:

Even better, inside the bag was its surreptitiously attached shoulder strap.So it could be worn as both a clutch and a shoulder bag. :clap:

To please my DH, I tried it out first as a clutch.

When I did, I was instantly reminded of the ladies in the movies of my youth. How they carried their clutches with great nonchalance and style.

And I was enthralled.

So here she is, my very first vintage Meyers, both as a clutch and a shoulder bag. :blush:

First the bag...

A09F837B-F6EF-426C-9A52-0543959305E4.jpeg

0E713BCA-91C2-46A5-899A-4F800FF1A092.jpeg

Next as a clutch....

EE1FB0C8-55CF-4DDD-A431-1E019E629009.jpeg A62DF908-0FB6-409E-9C57-B0E80C88677B.jpeg C2B789DC-336F-4493-ABB7-C6CC143BFA80.jpeg

Then as a shoulder bag....

628D9410-D767-4678-8706-E4C25FB757BF.jpeg E1E73EFE-5D07-4D89-ABA0-B710546C65AB.jpeg C8B95DEE-9ACC-4312-82A3-42EC09ABA39C.jpeg

When my DH returned home and saw the untampered packages he decided I didn’t have to wait for Mother’s Day for his gift! :happydance:

”Shocked.” I agreed with a watery smile. “What made you choose this purse?” :crybaby:

Not that I would let him know how disappointed I was. Instead I swallowed hard and examined the purse thoroughly, feigning enthusiasm. :yahoo:

Admittedly it was in wonderful condition for a bag made in the late seventies. The woven leather was a deep rich chocolate brown, soft and very pliable. :drool:

Even better, inside the bag was its surreptitiously attached shoulder strap.So it could be worn as both a clutch and a shoulder bag. :clap:

When I did, I was instantly reminded of the ladies in the movies of my youth. How they carried their clutches with great nonchalance and style.

And I was enthralled.

So here she is, my very first vintage Meyers, both as a clutch and a shoulder bag. :blush:

First the bag...

View attachment 5075734

View attachment 5075735

Next as a clutch....

View attachment 5075737 View attachment 5075738 View attachment 5075739

View attachment 5075742 View attachment 5075743 View attachment 5075744
Ohh...I really like that...and its larger than I thought...very Bottega like.

Ohh...I really like that...and its larger than I thought...very Bottega like.

You’re right on the money, Narnanz! :clap:

Meyers was a great follower of high end trends. When BV came onto the international scene, Meyers followed suit for the American market with their own woven leather iteration.

My bag’s dimensions are 13” x 9”x 2.5”. It has an interior zipper pocket and easily accommodates my full size wallet, a full size pouch, keys, phone etc.

The leather is lamb, very pliable with a nice smoosh.

I’m becoming more enamored the more I try it with various outfits.

What I particularly like is that it’s shoulder strap is easily accessible so I can switch from clutch to shoulder bag on the fly.

And I was enthralled.

First the bag...

View attachment 5075734

View attachment 5075735

Next as a clutch....

I love the bag both ways, and that brown is so rich ! Your dh did alright!

And I was enthralled.

First the bag...

View attachment 5075734

View attachment 5075735

Next as a clutch....

Your DH did great!

And I was enthralled.

First the bag...

View attachment 5075734

View attachment 5075735

Next as a clutch....

Woah! You should write crime novels! At least this one ended well. :biggrin:
That clutch/bag looks beautiful and practical. I think you can use it a lot. I am also quite surprised how perfect it looks, still!

i think DH gave you a great present.
Thank you, ladies. :hugs:

I’ll be sure not to tell him. (anyone here remember the Chaps plaid monstrosity he bought for me? :sick: )
I remember. :lol: And I also remember that you managed to get rid of it very elegantly. :biggrin:

Woah! You should write crime novels! At least this one ended well. :biggrin:
That clutch/bag looks beautiful and practical. I think you can use it a lot. I am also quite surprised how perfect it looks, still!

i think DH gave you a great present.

I remember. :lol: And I also remember that you managed to get rid of it very elegantly. :biggrin:

Trust me, Ludmilla, it came very close to becoming a crime novel once I realized what he’d done. :hysteric:

I like your term “clutch/bag.” It describes the purse perfectly. :ghi5:

The more history I uncover about Meyers, the more I shouldn’t be surprised how well their bags hold up over time. :speedy:

My clutch/bag is over forty years old, yet the leather shows only the barest evidence of wear. :sunnies:

As for the plaid monstrosity, I had a feeling you would remember it, Ludmilla. I still remember how desperately kind you and Mariapia tried to be after I‘d posted a pic. :giggle:

Good morning, fellow Islanders! :beach:

It’s “Throwback Thursday” as I ponder my ever growing collection of vintage bags. :thinking:

Though they’re all different, they all harken back to a time when we carried only the barest of our essentials in our bags. :whistle:

A trend that has resurfaced recently, with varying results. There were no iPhones back in the day. Or masks or hand sanitizer carried on a daily basis. :sweatdrop:

Given my circumstances (and absolute ineptitude when it comes to the IPhone) a vintage bag works for me in ways it can’t for so many of our fellow Islanders. :no:

I am retired, so I don’t have to slog to work everyday. I don’t travel by mass transit or carry a water bottle. I carry a flip phone while my personal care products consist of a comb and lens wipes for my glasses. :rolleyes:

So I guess you could say I’m as much of a throwback as my vintage bags! :roflmfao:

Good morning!! I’ve been pondering my collection and selling off what I am just not reaching for, for whatever reason. To my great surprise someone purchased my PS1, I was not reaching for her at all, and would rather another color as it is a great bag.

Good for you, Tomsmom! :clap:

You have so many beautiful bags you love to wear (and may yet to find) that “culling the herd” is a wise plan. :tup:

Trust me, Ludmilla, it came very close to becoming a crime novel once I realized what he’d done. :hysteric:

I like your term “clutch/bag.” It describes the purse perfectly. :ghi5:

The more history I uncover about Meyers, the more I shouldn’t be surprised how well their bags hold up over time. :speedy:

My clutch/bag is over forty years old, yet the leather shows only the barest evidence of wear. :sunnies:

As for the plaid monstrosity, I had a feeling you would remember it, Ludmilla. I still remember how desperately kind you and Mariapia tried to be after I‘d posted a pic. :giggle:
It is so cool to learn more about vintage brands. There are some seriously pretty gems out there. :smile:

Well, yes. The plaid thingy. It did have its wow factor. :lol:
Good morning, fellow Islanders! :beach:

It’s “Throwback Thursday” as I ponder my ever growing collection of vintage bags. :thinking:

Though they’re all different, they all harken back to a time when we carried only the barest of our essentials in our bags. :whistle:

A trend that has resurfaced recently, with varying results. There were no iPhones back in the day. Or masks or hand sanitizer carried on a daily basis. :sweatdrop:

Given my circumstances (and absolute ineptitude when it comes to the IPhone) a vintage bag works for me in ways it can’t for so many of our fellow Islanders. :no:

I am retired, so I don’t have to slog to work everyday. I don’t travel by mass transit or carry a water bottle. I carry a flip phone while my personal care products consist of a comb and lens wipes for my glasses. :rolleyes:

So I guess you could say I’m as much of a throwback as my vintage bags! :roflmfao:
Most of the time I carry my bags to work. Thanks to the virus my social life as dwindled into non existent. Only some of my medium sized bags work. Tbh. Most of my bags need to be tote sized in one way or the other.

Good morning!! I’ve been pondering my collection and selling off what I am just not reaching for, for whatever reason. To my great surprise someone purchased my PS1, I was not reaching for her at all, and would rather another color as it is a great bag.
Awww. It is always so sad when you all get rid of your pretty bags. Because you will never post them again. :sad:

It is so cool to learn more about vintage brands. There are some seriously pretty gems out there. :smile:

Well, yes. The plaid thingy. It did have its wow factor. :lol:

Most of the time I carry my bags to work. Thanks to the virus my social life as dwindled into non existent. Only some of my medium sized bags work. Tbh. Most of my bags need to be tote sized in one way or the other.

Exactly my point, Ludmilla. :yes:

Perhaps the current popularity of super small bags is that they can easily fit in a tote and only need to accomodate an ID, credit card, and phone? :thinking:

And I was enthralled.

First the bag...

View attachment 5075734

View attachment 5075735

Next as a clutch....

Your husband is terrific, Fim:yw:
You know what? I would have chosen that bag if I had seen it on eBay.
I love the design, I love the colour , I love the woven leather( it reminds me of the Bottega Olimpia)and I love the size.
:ps:
Talking about the Olimpia, it’s a cute bag but much too small for me...
Your Meyers is perfect!:congrats:

Reactions: Ludmilla