Ahoy polloi (an island for the masses)

Whenever I'm strapped for cash, nothing lifts my spirits more than dropping by our local Sift & Thrift. While there may be bargains to be found, our island's secondhand store allows me to revisit many a fashion faux pas from my past. From elephant pants to elf boots, Etruscan war bride bras and go go boots, every atrocity was once considered the rage. I remember them well, but leave them in the bin where they belong. Though there is that one pantsuit.....

:lolots:

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    42.2 KB · Views: 487
Can my Kate Spade Gold Coast Maryanne come live on this island :smile:
Got this at Amazon for a full 50% off:biggrin: and this is my work horse of a bag. Been carrying it to work every single day for the last year or so.

Attachments

• IMG_0111.JPG
    IMG_0111.JPG
    703.9 KB · Views: 529
Can my Kate Spade Gold Coast Maryanne come live on this island :smile:
Got this at Amazon for a full 50% off:biggrin: and this is my work horse of a bag. Been carrying it to work every single day for the last year or so.

Of course you and your Maryanne are most certainly welcome, Ambassador1! What a great bag at a fantastic price. And (if your gorgeous Dolce Gabbana Sicily Tote feels like slumming) bring her along too!

:happydance:

Weather wise, the outlook is grim for the weekend. Rain and more rain eventually turning to snow is the forecast for Pinch Purse Island. Couch Sufing will definitely be the order of the day.....

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    65.2 KB · Views: 463
Last edited:
On another note, I've been diligently researching the humble hidden history of the coin purse. Ancient Romans carried their coins in a pouch slung around their neck under their outer garments. This trend continued for centuries and in many ways continues today. Unseen by random passerbys, your coin purse tucked away in the depths of your bag only needs to speak to you. Whether a farrago of sequins or Hello Kitty, you can indulge in whatever whimsey you desire. With this and a fellow tpfer in mind, here is this week's Coin Cutie.

(oops...forgot to mention saw this on Poshmark)

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    110.7 KB · Views: 457
Last edited:
On another note, I've been diligently researching the humble hidden history of the coin purse. Ancient Romans carried their coins in a pouch slung around their neck under their outer garments. This trend continued for centuries and in many ways continues today. Unseen by random passerbys, your coin purse tucked away in the depths of your bag only needs to speak to you. Whether a farrago of sequins or Hello Kitty, you can indulge in whatever whimsey you desire. With this and a fellow tpfer in mind, here is this week's Coin Cutie.

(oops...forgot to mention saw this on Poshmark)

Ah, one of the orange-patina cuties made in SE Asia! When I went to Vietnam the markets were full of these for tourist take-away. They're not so different from the $80 Kate Spade numbers, in the end...

I have two cuties to add to the island. Pretty much every one of my bags is a pinch-purse (I've never spent over $300 on a bag, ever... including my Hermes and Ferragamo! Vintage is magic).... but these two are especially cheap scores from Etsy. They're in excellent condition, not pre-rehab: A Jacomo genuine giant snakeskin clutch with gorgeous clasp, $30 incl shipping, and a handpainted leather Emily Ann 6" cosmetic pouch, $10. They aren't a pair - the Emily Ann will go into my big totes and Herbag with toiletries and the clutch will hold just about nothing on evening-bag days - but I am delighted about both!

Attachments

• il_570xN.674608442_7vr9.jpg
    il_570xN.674608442_7vr9.jpg
    72 KB · Views: 452
  • il_570xN.558335456_qt3c.jpg
    il_570xN.558335456_qt3c.jpg
    66.8 KB · Views: 453
Last edited:
Reactions: Sparkletastic
Ah, one of the orange-patina cuties made in SE Asia! When I went to Vietnam the markets were full of these for tourist take-away. They're not so different from the $80 Kate Spade numbers, in the end...

I have two cuties to add to the island. Pretty much every one of my bags is a pinch-purse (I've never spent over $300 on a bag, ever... including my Hermes and Ferragamo! Vintage is magic).... but these two are especially cheap scores from Etsy. They're in excellent condition, not pre-rehab: A Jacomo genuine giant snakeskin clutch with gorgeous clasp, $30 incl shipping, and a handpainted leather Emily Ann 6" cosmetic pouch, $10. They aren't a pair - the Emily Ann will go into my big totes and Herbag with toiletries and the clutch will hold just about nothing on evening-bag days - but I am delighted about both!

Love your fabulous Jacomo snakeskin giant clutch! And at that price? :faint:
The pouch is a sweetheart and an absolute steal as well. Well done, Elisian!

Happy Saturday to all. The season of shopping is upon us. Whether it's the Veterans' Day Sales or Black Friday, few among us will be able to resist the siren call of the clearance rack. Just remember to tread warily down those good aisles. The road to Hell may indeed be paved with good intentions. But it is most certainly oft traveled in these beauties....

:lolots:

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    96.5 KB · Views: 437
Reactions: Dooneysta
Wow! No Veterans Sale or Black Friday in my country!
Tell me I shouldn't feel so frustrated!

You most assuredly should not, Mariapia. I'm sure there are plenty of holiday sales in the offing. As it is, November 12th will hopefully be a day of celebration in the EU. The ESA's Rosetta mission is a scientific achievement for the ages. All the world will be watching as Philae descends onto the comet's surface. Prepare for history to be rewritten!

:smartass:

(unable to upload pic of the lander..will try later)

EDIT: Success!

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    23.4 KB · Views: 411
Last edited:
It's another Sunday of food, football, and foul weather. I only leave the house to walk the dogs or get more firewood. Yesterday was a different matter. I had a 40% off any two items coupon and was ready to spend. All I actually spent was the entire morning almost buying a sweater and another pair of boots. Happily, sanity prevailed when I realized that I truly didn't like/need anything I tried on. There are times when resisting the lure is even more fun than taking the bait.

:happydance:

I'm just touring the island for the mo, and loving all these beauties that live on the island with you guys.

I'm not really a penny pincher (as my DBF will testify :giggles:smile: but I have some absolute gems that will feel at home here, and are as equally loved as their megabucks housemates here at home.

I'm planning on a longer return visit when I have a bit more time and show you some of my lovely undervalued bags that I would never part with.

I'm just touring the island for the mo, and loving all these beauties that live on the island with you guys.

I'm not really a penny pincher (as my DBF will testify :giggles:smile: but I have some absolute gems that will feel at home here, and are as equally loved as their megabucks housemates here at home.

I'm planning on a longer return visit when I have a bit more time and show you some of my lovely undervalued bags that I would never part with.

Awesome Papertiger! Visitors are always welcome on Pinch Purse Island. Drop by the Happy Mackerel, drift by the Sift & Thrift, and check out the Grab Bag Grill. (never never ask what's in the sausages). Fun and fellowship is the rock on which our island is built. Looking forward to seeing your undervalued beauties.

:welcome2: