Afraid to take my loubies to a cobbler...

Oct 9, 2008
all the places ive used or been to look scary. like a little dirty, a little messy and this is fine if im taking a pair of nine west that i was thinking about tossing anyhow, but i just cant get the courage to take my sweet new loubies. I searched the cobbler thread and couldnt find any recommendations in my area (pittsburgh).

do all shoe places look like that; a little messy, a little out of order?...i even asked the shoe sa at saks and she recommended a dirty little place, but still, it seems heart breaking to hand my precious shoes over to a dirty place.

I would personally trust a NM or SAKS recommendation. I have been in nice ones though. I used to go to a place that was in a shopping mall that was always well kept. It did bug me that my shoes were sitting on a shelf next to dirty work boots (and those weren't even Loubies) but the establishment itself was okay.

^^i agree with fashion. i took my neiman's recommendation and asked around the forum if anyone had gone as well. turns out a forum member had gone to the place reccommended by neimans and even sent me photos of her shoes. the place was awesome and the work was great, although the place i went to was very clean and organized. hth! check out the cobbler resource thread....

http://forum.purseblog.com/loubouti...istian-louboutin-cobbler-resource-399531.html

You can also call up some of the highly recommended places in the cobbler resource thread and see if you can ship in.

I am very wary about taking shoes in to cobblers as well - in my experience, they have all tended to look sort of grimy (they do work with a lot of polish, rubber, etc. after all), but that has not necessarily been a reflection on the quality of the work.

good to know...im considering having the shaft of my boots cut down about 2 inches...so i'd much prefer to have someplace local where i could actually show them/talk in person about what id like to have done. btw...ive posted about that question a few times, but does anyone have any experience with shortening the shaft? i did a search and could find anything really helpful.

^ people have had it done but it's exp and complicated and def has to be taken to a good place. i say you are somewhat safe with a rec from neimans or saks.. but you should check with others to make sure. the neimans near me recommended this place to take my CLs to and i'm glad i didn't go b/c I read online reviews and reviews on TPF and they are terrible AND exp.

If anyone has had this done, and could vouch for a place, id be willing to send them off, and let them know the height I am interested in. I supposed id rather not be there, and know they did good work, then watch over them and have them mess it up.

sarasmith--You know who has experience with boots? cfellis. Cara has a ton of boots and I remember her mentioning that she had some work done on one of her pairs. Maybe you can do a search of her threads/posts or PM her for info.

Let me just add my 2-cents...I took my 1st and only pair of CLs to a SAKS recommended cobbler and they did a horrible job! Just horrible! The soles were WAY too thick for shoes. I ended up going to another cobbler found on the Reference thread and I am going to pick-up my repaired CLs tomorrow (I hope that look as good as the example they showed to me!).

Be sure to see examples of their work on CL shoes! I learned my lesson!