Afraid to take my loubies to a cobbler...

sarasmith3269

Oct 9, 2008
all the places ive used or been to look scary. like a little dirty, a little messy and this is fine if im taking a pair of nine west that i was thinking about tossing anyhow, but i just cant get the courage to take my sweet new loubies. I searched the cobbler thread and couldnt find any recommendations in my area (pittsburgh).

do all shoe places look like that; a little messy, a little out of order?...i even asked the shoe sa at saks and she recommended a dirty little place, but still, it seems heart breaking to hand my precious shoes over to a dirty place.

fashion16

O.G.
Apr 15, 2007
I would personally trust a NM or SAKS recommendation. I have been in nice ones though. I used to go to a place that was in a shopping mall that was always well kept. It did bug me that my shoes were sitting on a shelf next to dirty work boots (and those weren't even Loubies) but the establishment itself was okay.

moshi_moshi

OMG Shoez!
Jun 18, 2007
NJ/PA
^^i agree with fashion. i took my neiman's recommendation and asked around the forum if anyone had gone as well. turns out a forum member had gone to the place reccommended by neimans and even sent me photos of her shoes. the place was awesome and the work was great, although the place i went to was very clean and organized. hth! check out the cobbler resource thread....

http://forum.purseblog.com/loubouti...istian-louboutin-cobbler-resource-399531.html

cllover

Aug 4, 2008
writing prison
You can also call up some of the highly recommended places in the cobbler resource thread and see if you can ship in.

I am very wary about taking shoes in to cobblers as well - in my experience, they have all tended to look sort of grimy (they do work with a lot of polish, rubber, etc. after all), but that has not necessarily been a reflection on the quality of the work.

sarasmith3269

Oct 9, 2008
good to know...im considering having the shaft of my boots cut down about 2 inches...so i'd much prefer to have someplace local where i could actually show them/talk in person about what id like to have done. btw...ive posted about that question a few times, but does anyone have any experience with shortening the shaft? i did a search and could find anything really helpful.

Jul 14, 2008
^ people have had it done but it's exp and complicated and def has to be taken to a good place. i say you are somewhat safe with a rec from neimans or saks.. but you should check with others to make sure. the neimans near me recommended this place to take my CLs to and i'm glad i didn't go b/c I read online reviews and reviews on TPF and they are terrible AND exp.

sarasmith3269

Oct 9, 2008
If anyone has had this done, and could vouch for a place, id be willing to send them off, and let them know the height I am interested in. I supposed id rather not be there, and know they did good work, then watch over them and have them mess it up.

LavenderIce

Vintage CLs please
O.G.
Dec 19, 2006
sarasmith--You know who has experience with boots? cfellis. Cara has a ton of boots and I remember her mentioning that she had some work done on one of her pairs. Maybe you can do a search of her threads/posts or PM her for info.

prettycitygirl

Metro
O.G.
Jun 15, 2009
Houston, TX
Let me just add my 2-cents...I took my 1st and only pair of CLs to a SAKS recommended cobbler and they did a horrible job! Just horrible! The soles were WAY too thick for shoes. I ended up going to another cobbler found on the Reference thread and I am going to pick-up my repaired CLs tomorrow (I hope that look as good as the example they showed to me!).

Be sure to see examples of their work on CL shoes! I learned my lesson!