Advice: I might be adopting this kitten...

Certain breeds of cat are really hard to find to adopt like the one my BF's mom liked......Himalayan. That furball costed about $900 too I think. Maybe more. He's all fur. I walk around and see fur in the air. He is not allowed near my bags. LOL.

If you're ready, get one. Doesn't matter if it's from the shelter or from a new litter. You must understand that after the kitten is born, it has to spend some time with the mum but the advantage with buying the kitten is that you get the cat when it's young still versus adopting one from the pound cause there are rarely specific breed kittens there.

On a related topic, I'm looking to adopt a kitten as well, but I don't want it to be ripping my cables (don't want an electrofried kitty), bags, clothes and furniture to shreds. Are they naturally prone to doing this, or is that a sign of bad "education"?

Check out www.petfinder.org I did a quick search and a few curls came up like this cute little girl http://search.petfinder.com/petnote/displaypet.cgi?petid=5680558

Adoption is the way to go, especially with cats. People who say you can't get a specific cat from a shelter are wrong, purebred cats, just like dogs have rescue groups that take in stray purebreds. Shelter pets aren't all mutts, some purebreds are given up because the family moves, or the owner gets sick or passes away.

Check out petfinder (they also have a section where individuals rather than organizations have their pets listed) and check curl society rescue groups.

I hope you get a great kitty!

Hmm. Perja, most kittens are going to play with wires or cables for a while, until they mature. It's just part of that playful stage.

Re: adoption of purebreds. I disagree that it would be easy to find a purebred at a shelter for the simple reason that most contracts (I signed one) have a clause within them that forces you to promise to return the cat to its original cattery if you need to give the cat up for any reason. Reputable breeders do not want to see their cats end up at the SPCA --ever. And this is policy at all of the major cat fancier organizations, of which all reputable breeders are members.

Purebreds do get given away through specific rescue sites just for that breed, though. Most breeds have one site, with listings. It's often very hard to adopt these cats -- there's a lot of demand and it still often isn't free.

Also, it has become quite costly to adopt a cat from the Humane Society! Anyone notice?

Also, no matter how well the shelter staff think they know an animal -- they simply cannot ever know who its parents were or what kind of medical history is in its family.

Having said all of that, I have adopted (all my life, we've had cats) probably 4-6 cats from the SPCA, all of which were lovely, well adjusted and completely beautiful! It's possible to have real success through the Humane socieities.

Both of our kitties are adopted. You may need to be careful about adopting--most places will want you to take kittens in pairs. This is for socialization. I had mine one at a time. The first one was acting up and biting and scratching. The second one calmed him down. They're both lovable and sweet now. As for the small apartment--I live in NYC and have two cats and two dogs. Cats are great for apartment life.

Oh yea, adopting a pet is not free - but it frees your mind!

Cha cha's adoption fee was $200 plus about $150 for vet fees and another $300 to get his teeth professionally cleaned because he had never ever had dental care and his teeth were rotting out.

On top of that, cha cha was a severe emotional wreck but I totally knew that before I got him. It took him well over 8 months to warm up to my home but now, he is such a well mannered loving dog and SO worth the time and effort!!

www.petfinder.com is where I found him and knew before hand that he was a special case as I went to visit before I adopted but I have a special place in my heart for emotionally traumatized doggies.

I suggest at least trying to see if there is an american curl cat in your area who needs a loving home :smile:

I've done both. Both of my current cats were "adopted" but not from a shelter. One was left behind by a friend of my brother's when they moved to florida. of course I couldn't let the cat fend for itself in the middle of winter so I took it in. The other cat was a street cat whose mother was hit by a car leaving 2 baby kittens. I took one and my friend took one. Both cats are very lovable and outgoing. My old cat that died a couple years ago was purchased from a breeder (Maine coon cat) for a couple hundred dollars.

I did spend about $1,200 on my purebred German shephard though...

Re: adopting a pet "frees your mind."

I don't know. I wondered about 'buying' a living thing -- it seems wrong, and I wondered about buying an animal for its looks -- that can seem wrong too.

But now that I actually 'know' my cat, none of those things seem relevant at all. In a sense, I think that the animal itself kind of negates all of those 'decisions', when he arrives. He turns out to be 'just a cat' who I love so so much!

Jilly - Thanks for the link, I'll look into that.

Perja - Oh, you are adopting a kitty too? Awesome! What kind are you looking at? I probably have the same questions that you do, we can go through the process together... :smile:

I am now leaning toward getting it, as you guys say I can always add another later. Which I really want to do. I've been looking at some adopt-a-pet sites, and the pics of shelter cats really break your heart...