Advice: I might be adopting this kitten...

melisande said:
I guess I felt guilty about picking a kitten just for his looks, rather than giving a needy animal a home.

Oh, I can totally relate to this... It is how I feel. I'm glad your experience turned out to be so successful, though! :smile: Did you ever worry that you would pay a lot of money and you and the cat would not "click"? I feel crazy for thinking this, but it is a worry for me...

I forgot to say -- I've seen Curls at the shows (I try to drop in at a cat show near me, whenever it comes to town because I touch bases with my kitten's breeder, and show her recent photos of him at that time). They are awfully cute!

Yes, spiralsnowman. I totally worried about that.

Once I made the decision to go ahead, and I paid the money, though, I totally put money out of my mind. I was resolved *not* to see this kitten as a packet of $$$ and to just treat him as any other cherished pet. I hardly ever think of him as being different than any other cat I've had, by now.

If you choose to adopt, I would highly suggest trying to locate people in your area that do fostering. That way, since the cats have been living with people for some time, they are socialized and you can also ask the caretakers about the cat's personalities and the such ! My roommate and I are a foster home for cats, and it's so much fun playing with the cats that come through.

Yes. When you look into the pedigree (the parents of the kitten), and meet them, and hold them, you get a very very good idea.

Also, the breeders can help you -- personality traits show up in kittens quite early on (and usually breeders keep kittens at home for quite a length of time, anyhow -- they make sure the kittens have had all of their first shots), so breeders will be able to advise a bit on which kitten in the litter would suit you most. Some kittens will immediately be 'bolder', for e.g. or more 'aggressive'. Others less so.

As far as I have experienced, the SPCA will only allow healthy cats and dogs to be adopted. I adopted both of my cats from the SPCA. Whether you adopt OR pay for a cat, you are giving it a loving home...

Ayla, fostering is great! I agree with that, re: adoption. My neighbour adopted a cat from the humane society and it turned out to have "petting disorder" meaning that it really hated to be petted and bit anybody who tried.
Often cats who have been inbred or abused have got similar disorders. Fostering can help ensure that a cat has not developed any of these.

You've totally hit on all my concerns, melisande. Now I totally feel better!... :smile:

I don't think I will get to meet the parents, as they live in NY, but they seem to be very reputable, and from the emails I've exchanged w/ the lady, she seem very nice and concerned about giving the kitten to responsible owners...

I know about the waitlist, though. She said that I need to put $500 down for the upcoming litter.

Hmm. I know, for a fact, annabelle, of disordered pets that have been adopted through the SPCA. See above! (It's not necessarily the fault of the SPCA -- they can't screen everything and they don't know the history of the animal).

While I would probably go for the dream kitty if I were you, there is a downside to the world of purebred animals. Purebreds are often as far from the basic/natural/nature's intended version of the animal as they can be, which results in health problems. Also, in the quest for the most perfect and succesful animal, some breeders will allow inbreeding to occur. I'm not sure how things are in the cat world, but I know that in the dog and rabbit worlds, you are often better off with a mixed breed. When you go with a purebred, you have to be willing to deal with the breed's problems. For example, with rabbits, certain breeds are prone to specific health problems. Lops are prone to ear infections/ear mites, Flemish Giants and other large breeds are prone to bone and joint problems, rabbits with "smushy" faces are prone to respiratory problems, etc.

So basically, you should find out if the breed you are looking at is known for any health or behavioral problems.

I've adopted two domestic cats, one as a kitten and the other as a 2yr-old. I also have a purebred Siberian Husky that my parents bought. I love all my pets no matter where they came from, what their pedigree. A pet will be a friend no matter how much you spend or didn't spend on it!

I guess I'm just hesitant because one of my good friends has a cat who doesn't allow anyone to pick her up or touch her. Sometimes when I even look in her (the cat's) direction, she hisses and swipes her paw at me, like "don't even think about petting me, missy" :smile:

My friend is still crazy about her, although her nickname for the cat is "the *****" (her words, not mine :shame: )

Hi. Typed out a whole thing, and then lost it! So frustrating!

Was just saying, I hope I have been of help as I totally understand all of your concerns and questions -- they are exactly the same ones I had.

With regards to breeders -- a reputable breeder will never, ever allow inbreeding to occur. This is why it is important to research your breeder thoroughly and to visit the cattery, if possible.

I did the same thing as you -- paid down money to be on the waitlist. That is a common thing. I visited the cattery, at that time, too, and met the parents, brother and sister and cousins of my kitten. (I also almost had a stowaway in my almost empty bag -- so so cute. I felt that my bag was heavier than when I'd come in -- when I lifted it, a sweet little kitten jumped out!).