Aaron Tveit

From The Today Show

Aaron Tveit goes from 'Graceland' to 'Grease'

He showcased his versatility in the TV series "Graceland" and the big-screen version of "Les Miserables"; now actor Aaron Tveit is donning Danny Zuko's leather jacket in the upcoming live production of "Grease." In a round of "Greased Lightning," he reveals that he got sent to the principal's office for saying the "F" word - in kindergarten.

Link to full interview: http://www.today.com/video/aaron-tveit-goes-from-graceland-to-grease-603718211534

Carlos PenaVega and Aaron Tveit - this is pretty funny.

tumblr_o17ofps65A1ujnw9io1_500_zpscatx2yhr.png

@PaulWontorek: More @broadwaycom video fun with @aarontveit! @gogrease (x)

Last edited:
Aaron Tveit and Julianne Hough visit SiriusXM Studios in New York, January 2016.

tumblr_o1bjoyax9p1u48arlo2_500_zpsmdzfiq6w.jpg

tumblr_o1bjoyax9p1u48arlo1_500_zpshjgg7ucf.jpg

Source

tumblr_o1bk00SqZO1s3ugeno1_1280_zpsyn4kxlot.jpg

aarontveit: Wishing my friend #BernieTelsey huge congratulations on his Hoyt Bowers Award this evening for the 2016 Artios Awards. The Hoyt Bowers Award honors esteemed casting professionals who have elevated the casting profession. I can speak personally to the truth of this. And to what an even better person he is. So grateful for all you have done for me! #broadway #hairspray #catchmeifyoucan #rent #wicked #nexttonormal. Congrats!!

Article from The New York Times 21 Jan, 2016.

‘Grease: Live’ Prepares for the Small Screen

24GREASE1-master675_zpswqi1b6sj.jpg

BURBANK, Calif. — Thomas Kail, the celebrated director of “Hamilton” on Broadway, strode across the Warner Bros. back lot here earlier this month and broke into a verbal tap dance. “Well, hmm, let’s see,” he started to say in response to an impolite query from the person walking next to him (me). “I think that there is always a learning curve. Going first, second, third isn’t easy.”

The question: As he directs a live TV musical – Fox will broadcast his lavish production of “Grease” on Jan. 31 – could he please explain why some of the stage adaptations recently tried by other networks have been so, well, worthy of hate-watching?

Mr. Kail, who goes by Tommy, did not need to answer. The decisions made by the “Grease: Live” creative team, an A-list bunch that includes the “Wicked” producer Marc Platt and the “Hamilton” scenic designer David Korins, speak volumes on their own.

To make the vivaciousness of live theater come blasting through television sets, “Grease: Live” will incorporate an audience, a first for the recent batch of small-screen musicals; in some cases, the hundreds of people on set will appear on camera, whether watching the dance-off or cheering along at the give-em-hell-Rydell pep rally. To add visual scale and texture — and risk — the action will take place both inside on soundstages (Frenchy’s purplicious bedroom) and outside (a full-scale carnival), another first.

24GREASE2-articleLarge_zpszk70xznd.jpg

Thomas Kail, left, and Aaron Tveit.

“It’s also about the material that you’re dramatizing,” said Mr. Platt, whose film credits include producing the hit adaptation of “Into the Woods.” “There are certain shows that require more classic staging, and there are others, like ‘Grease,’ that allow you to play with the genre and stretch it.” He added: “There’s something about ‘Grease’ that’s timeless. It has exuberance and color and energy and esprit de corps.”

All of those things were readily visible as Mr. Kail, 38, prepared to rehearse one of the musical’s best-loved scenes — “Born to hand jive, baby!” — on a soundstage here, where, incidentally, both “A Star Is Born” (1954) and “My Fair Lady” (1964) were filmed. There, on a full-scale Rydell High gym set, lined with amber wooden bleachers and draped with rainbow streamers (courtesy of Patty Simcox and committee), the cast listened to Mr. Kail give a speech that he later called “his full Lombardi.”

“Remember, we’re going back to that time when you did your first everything,” he said in his mile-a-minute way. “Your heart has never been broken. You don’t know that it will turn out O.K.” He hopped down from his perch on the bleachers. “Here we go. Let’s take another run at the hand jive.”

Sandy, played by Julianne Hough of “Dancing With the Stars” fame, jumped to her feet and fluffed her rehearsal skirt. Standing next to her, Danny (Aaron Tveit, a fast-rising Broadway and television actor) grabbed his ankles in a prolonged stretch. One of the T-Birds executed a perfect pirouette, while Rizzo (Vanessa Hudgens) smacked her gum nearby — she’d been ready.

Someone cued the music, and the cast broke into an energetic dance number. There came Cha-Cha DiGregorio (Yvette Gonzalez-Nacer), rubbing her skirt suggestively on her thighs, just like in the 1978 movie, as a Rydell student dragged his date across the floor by one leg, just like in the 1978 movie.

Still, Mr. Kail and his choreographer, Zach Woodlee (“Glee”), are most definitely not just putting forward a carbon copy of what “Grease” fans have seen before. Their goal is to combine elements from the movie and the stage version that preceded it while adding two new songs (written by Tom Kitt and Brian Yorkey, known for Broadway’s “Next to Normal”) and updating others.

“We have affection for the movie and the stage play just as much as everybody else,” Mr. Kail said. “But it’s not about trying to redo those. It’s trying to capture the spirit.”

Mr. Kail pointed to casting as an area that overtly bears his stamp. Instead of sticking to the blueprint of Frenchy created by Didi Conn in the movie — cartoon voice, wide eyes — he veered toward introspective and arty, hiring the Canadian singer-songwriter Carly Rae Jepsen to play the Beauty School Dropout. (Ms. Conn will pop up as Vi, the world-weary Frosty Palace waitress.) Diversity was important; Keke Palmer plays Marty, Carlos PenaVega was entrusted with Kenickie, and Boyz II Men will perform in the Teen Angel role that Frankie Avalon made famous.

Ms. Hudgens, who starred as “Gigi” on Broadway last season but is still best known as the super-sweet Gabriella from the “High School Musical” series, was cast as the caustic Rizzo. “When my agent called I was, like, ‘Huh?’” Ms. Hudgens said, making a face. “I never really thought of myself as Rizzo. But then I thought about it, and I realized it would be a really cool challenge.”

How has Ms. Hudgens made the character her own? “Body language is big,” she said. “It wasn’t all that hard in the end.”

24GREASE3-blog427_zpsjuvpoa5r.jpg

Mr. Tveit, who is a bit more James Dean than John Travolta, said that he had a difficult time breaking free of the movie. “I had to say my lines out loud over and over for, like, two weeks before I got Travolta’s voice out of my head,” he said. “Tommy really helped,” Mr. Tveit continued. “He has this way of telling you what he wants without making you feel like your original choice was wrong. For actors, that’s everything.”

Mr. Kail has no plans to abandon Broadway for Hollywood. He remains very close to “Hamilton,” for one thing, and its star-composer-lyricist, Lin-Manuel Miranda.

“I talked to Lin this morning, and we had seven texts afterward,” Mr. Kail said. “He has been incredibly supportive of me doing this, and the same goes for me when he gets a new bag of stories to work on, like his work with Disney.” Mr. Miranda contributed songs to Disney’s next animated musical, “Moana,” which is due in November.

But Mr. Kail does not want to confine himself to the stage, either, and “Grease: Live” seemed like a fun middle step toward possible cinematic endeavors. “I also loved the idea of being part of this new movement of musicals on television,” he said. “I deeply believe that theater should be for everyone. I want people to do new plays on television.”

As networks try to come up with must-watch television, musical specials have become one of Hollywood’s hottest formats. NBC will next tackle “Hairspray.” ABC is working to adapt “Dirty Dancing” with Andy Blankenbuehler, another “Hamilton” alum, doing choreography. Tyler Perry is working on a live musical about Jesus called “The Passion” for Fox, which will also bring viewers “The Rocky Horror Picture Show,” starring Laverne Cox and Adam Lambert.

The high point in terms of ratings is “The Sound of Music Live!” That 2013 adaptation, though critically reviled, attracted 18.6 million viewers. More recently, “The Wiz Live!,” which received better reviews, attracted about 11.5 million people.

“Grease: Live,” with a budget of roughly $16 million and made by Paramount Television, will also get a soundtrack release on iTunes and come with an Internet-based behind-the-scenes experience designed to be watched simultaneously with the broadcast.

But here is another indelicate question: What happens if it rains?

“A great, big wet T-shirt contest,” Mr. Korins said dryly.

He was joking — sort of. While any mishap is possible, “Grease: Live” has gone to great lengths to protect the outdoor portion of its set. A towering metal truss, rigged with lighting equipment, will be stretched with plastic sheeting in two layers, one to catch any rain and a second to act as a sound barrier, Mr. Korins said. “We were almost going to shoot in New York, but we made the decision to go with California — for the weather — and literally later that day the Godzilla El Niño was announced,” he said.

“But the show, as they say,” he added, “will go on.”

Source: The New York Times

Numerous tweets about the production:

Greasetwit_zps94f2uwyu.png

IMG_20160123_140509_zpshirvzcwr.jpg

David Korins ‏@DavidKorins 2h2 hours ago

When you make someone your ride or die. #greaselightning #thunderroad #grease #greaselive

IMG_20160123_140641_zpsgxw7psol.jpg

David Korins ‏@DavidKorins Jan 21

T-Birds rehearsing a scene in front of #Rydell or "cool kids" hanging out on the @WarnerBrosEnt lot? #greaselive

IMG_20160123_140719_zps70ptd1lc.jpg

David Korins ‏@DavidKorins 6h6 hours ago

What do you suppose Sandy & Rizzo talk about on their 5 min breaks? #grease #greaselive #gogrease

IMG_20160123_140739_zps8vqzyqur.jpg

Jordan Fisher ‏@Jordan_Fisher Jan 15

Just me and the boys. #TBirds #GreaseLive

IMG_20160123_140940_zpsraxcbvdc.jpg

IMG_20160123_140955_zps3blanb0r.jpg

L.A.Times, January 22, 2016

'Grease: Live' gets ready to dance

la-2449902-et-adv-grease-live-2-kaf5-jpg-20160120_zpsll5l9izj.jpg

Julianne Hough, who plays Sandy, and Aaron Tveit, who plays Danny, rehearse for Fox's "Grease Live!" musical production. (Katie Falkenberg / Los Angeles Times)

During a recent rehearsal for Fox's upcoming, live broadcast of the musical "Grease," Aaron Tveit and Julianne Hough waited for their musical cue to jump in the fray and gambol alongside a troupe of frenetic dancers.

The number was "We Go Together," and during the rehearsal on a backlot in Burbank, the Broadway heartthrob and "Dancing With the Stars" alum tried their best to lock down those seemingly impossible shoo bop sha wadda wadda yippity boom de boom foot movements as choreographer Zach Woodlee ("Glee," "Annie") hollered commands over the music.

The couple were dressed in comfy, casual workout clothing, but come Sunday they'll be doing these same moves during the live broadcast wearing black, body-hugging ensembles similar to those made famous by John Travolta and Olivia Newton-John in the 1978 film rendition of the musical.

"I used to steal the VHS tape from my parents' bedroom because I wasn't allowed to watch PG-13 movies," Hough said during a break from rehearsal. "I used to go down to the basement and mimic all the dances and sing the songs. And now look at me."

Three years after NBC returned to TV musical waters with live renditions of such stage productions as "The Sound of Music" "Peter Pan" and recent go-round "The Wiz," broadcast competitor Fox is diving in with "Grease: Live" on Jan. 31 at 7 p.m. Eastern and Pacific.

As networks contend with shifting audience habits that increasingly favor time-delayed viewing, networks are scrambling to create events spectacular enough to battle the power of the DVR. Fox, perhaps of all the legacy networks, is a natural fit for a musical production because it's the home base for musical powerhouses of the present and recent past: "Empire," "Glee" and singing competition "American Idol."

"Any time that you can send a message to a broad audience that there is something special happening, like live sporting events, where people are flying without a net and bringing a level of showmanship that you can't have with a drama that's been highly edited, is a good thing," said Fox Television Group Co-Chairman Dana Walden, who noted her two daughters have done versions of "Grease" at school.

la-ca-st-grease-live-20160124-001_zpsa0wlkqhz.jpg

Julianne Hough and Aaron Tveit strike a pose during rehearsal for "Grease Live." (Katie Falkenberg / Los Angeles Times)

The revamped-for-live-TV event, a Paramount Television production, features well-known names among the millennial set.

In addition to Hough and Tveit as leads Sandy and Danny, others donning leather jackets and poodle skirts include Vanessa Hudgens (Disney's "High School Musical," Broadway's "Gigi") as tough girl Rizzo, singer Carly Rae Jepsen as Frenchy, Keke Palmer as Marty, Kether Donohue as Jan, Carlos PenaVega as Kenickie, David Del Rio as Putzie, and more.

The elaborate NBC renderings rotated scenes on one New York soundstage; the Fox affair is even more ambitious. The production will unfold over two soundstages housing a number of sets on the Warner Bros. lot in Burbank. Production will also take place on Midwest Street — i.e., a backlot that they'll use for exterior scenes of Rydell High and the carnival grounds (during rehearsals, however, the lot was still the town of Rosewood seen in "Pretty Little Liars").

"Ask me after it's all over if I think the multiple soundstages was a good idea," joked stage director Thomas Kail, known most recently for his celebrated stage work with Lin-Manuel Miranda in the smash "Hamilton."

"I wanted it to feel vibrant and vital the way the film did," he said. "I wanted locations that felt like real places that could ground us so when we lift off and go to the fantasy of 'Greased Lightnin'' or the Teen Angel arrives, you have something to depart from."

The musical delves into the lives of working-class teenagers during the early 1950s rock 'n' roll era. Originally a 1971 theater production in Chicago, the musical became a cultural touchstone when it was adapted for the big screen in 1978 with Travolta and Newton-John as its leads.

"When we first got together to do the photo shoot, I remember thinking, 'Are we actually doing this?'" Hudgens said. "It's sort of surreal to be a part of introducing this iconic musical to a new generation."

la-ca-st-grease-live-20160124-002_zpsjermimtq.jpg

Didi Conn, right, who portrayed Frenchy in the 1978 film, huddles with, from left, Kether Donohue, Vanessa Hudgens and the TV Frenchy, Carly Rae Jepsen. (Katie Falkenberg / Los Angeles Times)

Playwrights-screenwriters Robert Cary and Jonathan Tolins were charged with writing the three-hour production, using the familiar Paramount Pictures film as a starting point. But they also worked in elements from the stage show — particularly since the film's run time is 1 hour, 50 minutes.

"We had to figure out how to expand the show without it feeling drawn out and padded," Tolins said. "And, of course, the other job was coming up with where to put 11 commercial breaks."

Two songs from the original stage show — "Freddy My Love" and "Those Magic Changes" — made their way into the Fox production. Cary and Tolins also found ways to play up Hough's background by having Sandy dance more than she usually does — including in a scene in which she's auditioning to be a cheerleader.

The show also will feature an original song, "All I Need Is an Angel," written specifically for Jepsen's Frenchy by "If/Then" duo Tom Kitt and Brian Yorkey. And given the show's 7 p.m. start time, adjustments were made to some of the more suggestive lyrics in the soundtrack (in those cases, the school-sanctioned production versions of the lyrics were used).

"I think we're very much doing our own slant on it," said the show's live director, Alex Rudzinski, who has directed more than 500 hours of live broadcasts on "Dancing With the Stars." "It would be fickle to try to do a copycat live broadcast. This is a live TV production. If you get too close then all people will do all night is just compare take for take and you open yourself up for problems."

The NBC productions were big ratings draws, but they also proved fodder for plenty of snark of social media. And if "grease" is the word, "Grease: Live" will surely be a conversation on Twitter. Good or bad, the cast say they're ready for it.

"Sing along and enjoy it and maybe introduce it to someone new," Hough said. "It's inevitable that people are going to say stupid…. But I've had the best experience of my life doing this, and I don't give a crap."

Helping to make the production as seamless as possible is a crew of about 400 people and about 20 cameras. There will also be a second-screen element in which viewers can get a glimpse of the behind-the-scenes action during commercial breaks.

"Of course there's going to be snafus or people tripping up," Rudzinski said. "But you try and step back from that and you try to be reactive to the problems we're going to have."

Since the live broadcast will be filmed partly outdoors, a 40-foot-tall, tent-like shield was recently erected to cover the exterior of Rydell High as a safeguard against an unpredictable El Niño strike.

The show will also have a more interactive element than its NBC counterparts. It will feature a live audience that will play a role in the production at various moments (e.g. seat fillers in bleachers during gym scenes, etc.).

In a passing of the "Grease" baton, Barry Pearl and Didi Conn (who played Doody and Frenchy, respectively, in the film) will make cameos in Fox's live production.

As the new generation of Pink Ladies and T-Birds rehearsed the scene in which Danny and Sandy's date at the Frosty Palace gets crashed by friends, Conn was off to the side observing with an ear-to-ear grin.

She'll be playing Viola, the waitress at the diner. But as rehearsal wound down and Jepsen was the only one left at a table, she turned to Conn with her eyes beaming: "It's so nice to meet you!" Jepsen said to her Frenchy forebear.

Conn, who still revels in her "Grease" days by hosting singalongs of the film at the Hollywood Bowl, said being on set was almost like traveling back in time.

"The little Didi wants to come out and play Frenchy. But I'm a big Didi now," Conn said. "It's just so exciting. They really captured the DNA of the show — the friendship, the love. It touches the kid in everybody. I hope people just get up and dance along."

Cue the music.

Twitter: @villarrealy

Source: http://www.latimes.com/entertainment/tv/la-ca-st-grease-live-20160124-story.html