Aaron Tveit

From Nylon Magazine

Aaron Tveit is returning to musicals (sort of) with his lead role in ‘grease: live!’

When you decided to go to vocal school instead of business school, was that a clear cut decision?

Yeah, it was a struggle. I mean, I graduated high school in 2001 and I was a vet of the generation where they told you to do every single thing possible to make yourself look viable on a college application. So even though I was involved in chorus and did the play every year, I was also the president of our business program and spent the summer working in a security firm. I applied to all these schools for business and I got scholarships to go there, and I got into one music school, but got no money to go there. But my parents thankfully said to me, “Do whatever you want to do, we’ll make it work,” which is crazy.
ke9JAcs.jpg

tle2Gcj.jpg

H1M41HP.jpg

v2aBl7M.jpg

C1qNdWe.jpg

Source: Nylon Magazine

Interview with Glamour Magazine

By Jessica Radloff 3 hours ago, 29th January, 2016

It's been a full calendar year since Fox first announced that it would air a live musical version of Grease, and the big night is finally almost here. For the last several months, the cast—which includes Julianne Hough, Aaron Tveit, Vanessa Hudgens, Carly Rae Jepsen, Carlos PenaVega, Keke Palmer, Kether Donohue, and many more—have been rehearsing around the clock to bring the memorable musical to life this Sunday night.

With crunch time upon them, you'd expect the cast to be all nerves—but on a recent visit to the set, it was clear they have this under control. During a short break from rehearsing "Summer Nights" in the Rydell auditorium, Danny Zuko himself (that would be Aaron Tveit) walked over to introduce himself. "I noticed you across the way and figured since we're going on a date later, I should come say hi," greeted the charming Broadway vet. Usually, the setting for our On a Date column is at a trendy restaurant (or sometimes even an actor's trailer), but this time it was at a more appropriate location: the Frosty Palace.

Actual food isn't allowed on the set, but the prop managers decorated a corner booth with plastic cheeseburgers, fries, sundaes, and milkshakes for us—and they even gave Tveit real money to "pay" for the end of the date. And so, over the next hour, we chatted about career milestones, seducing Julianne Hough, relationships, and how he'll be spending the hours leading up to Grease: Live.

bHF0NFG.jpg

Glamour: We're sitting at the Frosty Palace with plastic burgers, fries, and milkshakes. Is this where you take all of your dates?
Aaron Tveit: You know, if we had sock hops and malt shops today, I would definitely take dates there! How fun would that be? I'm surprised there's not really many of those—or even a bar that's a throwback sock-hop diner. Someone reading this should fix that.

Glamour: So where would you take a date before or after a Broadway musical?
Aaron: There's one called Vice Versa, and that's a really nice, beautiful restaurant. If you really want to make a special night of it, there's Le Bernardin. It's Eric Ripert's restaurant and one of the number one rated restaurants in New York City. But that's like high high!

Glamour: Great, so on our next date we will go there!
Aaron: Yes, we'll go to Le Bernardin! [Laughs]

Glamour: How did Grease: Live come about?
Aaron: A little over a year ago, I was in London doing a play, and the casting director [for Grease: Live] asked if I'd be interested in doing a work session with Tommy Kail, the director, and Mark Platt, the producer. Mark oversees Wicked—I did Wicked years ago—so I was really excited it was Fox doing it, Tommy was directing, and also that Julianne was attached.

Glamour: You and Julianne had to do a chemistry test together before you were cast. What was that like?
Aaron: The funny thing about chemistry is that you either have it or you don't. She was doing chemistry reads with three or four different guys, and they rolled 'em in one after the other. There was a moment in the diner scene where I go up to her at the jukebox, and I haven't seen her since the confrontation at the pep rally. Tommy gave me a note and had us go again [in the scene], and I did something where I just went over and stood next to her and didn't say anything. I kind of mocked her body position, and she just looked at me and started laughing. We had to start the scene over. But that's the kind of thing that you hope you have happen because that's a moment in life. Especially in a chemistry test—that's what they want to see. I don't know if that's ultimately what it was, but that's when it settled for me that I felt [good].

w2tizDX.jpg

Glamour: You didn't dye your hair jet black for the role. Were you worried the producers might make you?
Aaron: A little bit! I didn't know what they were going to do. It's such an iconic thing, and I heard that the whole black hair thing was all Travolta's idea. I think it was a nod to Elvis. I was a little worried about the jet black. If [the producers] would have said it, I would have asked them to do a temporary wash. It actually came up in my first costume fitting with William Ivey Long, who I've done three shows with. His thing was that my Danny was not the Elvis Danny Zuko, but the James Dean Danny. I have the same hair color, so we're going that way a little bit. He fought that fight for me.

Glamour: Julianne met Olivia Newton-John for the first time at Dancing With the Stars last season. Have you gotten to talk to John Travolta?
Aaron: I haven't. I have not met him during this process, but actually in 2013 at the Oscars when we did our whole Les Mis performance, he announced our whole musical section. And he said my name correctly! [Laughs] We met in the rehearsal process, and he couldn't have been nicer.

Glamour: Of all the characters you've played, which one is closest to your personality?
Aaron: That's so interesting. It's different times in your life, you know? It's so hard to say. All of them have different aspects of my personality. I think [Catch Me If You Can's] Frank Abagnale Jr. is the closest, without the con-man part. [Laughs] He's the guy I hope to still be. I think it's similar to how I was younger: wide-eyed and optimistic. I'm a very positive person, and I always find the good in things and work really hard.

Glamour: Since, news flash, Grease is live, what's your routine before you go on stage?
Aaron: Ha, yeah. I have a daily routine and an opening night routine. On a daily basis, [if a Broadway] show doesn't end till 11 P.M., I usually can't fall asleep until 3 A.M. because I'm wired after a show. I'll wake up at noon, eat breakfast, go to the gym, and just start moving. I'm not a warm-up right before the show guy, so I think if you can be active during the day that's the best [method]. But then on opening night, it's a little different because there is so much adrenaline. Also, I drink coffee before every show, but on opening nights I don't. I have so much adrenaline that if I drink coffee on top of it, I'm out of my mind. It's almost too much, and I can't control my energy. On Sunday for Grease: Live, I'll probably eat breakfast when I get up, go to the gym, come here, and just try to keep it as normal as possible.

Glamour: Any superstitions or rituals?
Aaron: I usually say, not necessarily a religious prayer, but I try to have a moment of gratitude before the first night. Just to think about the experience and be thankful for what I've been gifted with.

Glamour: You've been rehearsing like crazy, so come the week of February 1, then what happens?
Aaron: I'm staying in L.A all week and have a couple days off. I have a film that is in competition at the Santa Barbara Film Festival called Stereotypically You. It's a film that I shot last summer. It's a romantic comedy from a guy's point-of-view, and I'm the guy. It's about this guy who is stuck on his ex-girlfriend and all in his head about it. The festival is the week after [Grease: Live]. After that, I fly to Australia because I'm singing in a concert in Sydney with Sutton Foster and Betty Buckely and some amazing Australian musical theater talent. It's called Defying Gravity, the Songs of Stephen Schwartz. Then I fly back to New York, have a week off, and on February 22, I start pre-production for Brain Dead, which is the CBS series I'm doing [from the creators of The Good Wife]. I get to play a sort of ******* chief-of-staff, and it also co-stars Mary Elizabeth Winstead. When that come up, and I learned I'd be playing opposite her? I was like, sign me up! I've been so lucky to have been able to do so many different things.

Glamour: I heard that you almost auditioned for a season of American Idol, but you couldn't miss rehearsals for your school musical. Is that true?
Aaron: Yeah. A buddy of mine and I were going to go audition, but we had rehearsal for whatever college show we were doing at the time, and they wouldn't let us go, so I didn't go. And then the next year, I was doing a summer stock production, so I didn't go, and then I got cast in the national tour of Rent and started working. I really wanted to, but who knows how I would have done? But now, here I am on Fox doing this live thing!

Glamour: Is it true that you also turned down the role of Finn on Glee in 2009?
Aaron: I didn't turn down the role, but I had auditioned for it and they wanted to do a screen test. I wasn't offered the part, but I was far along in the process. I decided not to screen test for it.

Glamour: How come?
Aaron: Looking back, I kind of think, "What the hell was I thinking?" I hadn't done anything on television yet. That was before I got Gossip Girl, so I hadn't done much TV. I had also been involved in all the readings and workshops for Second Stage and Catch Me If You Can. So at that point, I would have been walking away from these shows that I was so attached to personally, and my heart was in it. I couldn't walk away from those. The other side of it was, at the time, I kind of wanted what I did on TV to have nothing to do with my musical theater career. I think I was afraid that I'd be looked at as only a musical guy, so I tried to keep it separate for a long time. Looking back, it did serve me well, but it was a difficult [decision] to make.

......(continued)

Glamour: What's your advice when someone is faced with a tough career decision?
Aaron: A lot of it comes down to your gut feeling because all the time you're having to make choices and say no to things. You have to talk it out and look at both sides. Make the decision that you're comfortable with and that you feel in your gut is right and then let it go after that.

Glamour: Changing gears, you have a new movie that's in post-production called Undrafted, and it's a sports movie. You're a big sports guy...
Aaron: It was like my six-year-old dream come true. I got to be a lead in this sports movie, and we just played baseball for four weeks while we shot it.

r5O1eAa.jpg

Glamour: What teams were you obsessed with growing up?
Aaron: The Yankees, even when they were terrible! I was never a Knicks fan, but I was a Michael Jordan fan. That led me to being a LeBron James fan because I'm of the generation that has an appreciation for talent and greatness [instead of a particular team]. My friends always make fun of me for it.

Glamour: Have you ever gotten to meet any of your childhood sports heroes?
Aaron: [Former Yankees manager] Joe Torre came to see Catch Me If You Can, and that was nuts. I almost couldn't speak afterwards. It's interesting because athletes make me starstruck. Again, it's the 10-year-old version of myself who only wanted to be a professional athlete.

Glamour: Could you ever date someone who wasn't into sports?
Aaron: [Laughs] Well, I have before...

Glamour: And how did that go?
Aaron: It does become difficult because I mean, listen, I'm sure I haven't been into other things that people I've dated have been into, but I understand and support that they're into it and will be happy with that. Even if you don't like it, at least you can say, "OK, I know that you like it and that's OK." But if somebody tried to make me feel bad about it, that wouldn't be good.

BbMEqAo.gif

Glamour: A year and a half ago, you said you were single and looking for a very nice girl. Are you still single and looking for a very nice girl?
Aaron: Yeah, I'm still looking for a nice girl. I'm still single. It's hard with travel and work, and the last three years, the longest I've been home in New York is six or eight weeks. So, woe is me, boohoo, I'm not saying that, but it can be difficult at times. I feel like I'm at a place in my life where I have a clear idea of who I am. I think you need to do that before you're ready to meet someone. Everyone says it comes when you least expect it, so I'm just trying to honestly stay open and just receptive to people around me.

Glamour: What are your turn-ons and turn-offs?
Aaron: Meanness and coldness are what turns me off. Yeah, surprise, surprise. [Laughs] But if I see people going out of their way to talk badly about someone behind their back, that's just like, come on. It's catty. And turn-ons are laughing, comedy. If we can banter and have fun, that's a lot of it for me. I need that kind of back and forth.

Glamour: What's the best advice you've been given about love and relationships?
Aaron: You can't go looking for it. Also, the relationships that I've had before, you question looking back and thinking about regrets, but parents and friends have said, "You're going to know when you know." So that's something I firmly believe and hold on to. A lot of my guy friends who are married, I ask them questions like, "What is it?" and they say, "Dude, I knew an hour into our first date. I just knew."

Glamour: Like you said, it's that gut feeling.
Aaron: Totally.

mjc6FOF.jpg

Glamour: You live in New York. What's your perfect date night?
Aaron: It's simple. Dinner at a great restaurant somewhere. If it's a nice night—it's like that thing where if the date goes well, you have that second place picked out already and can walk there. In New York, that would be a wine bar or a cool bar. That's my perfect date night: Have a great dinner with someone great who you want to continue the night with and walk somewhere in that beautiful city and wind up in one of those hole-in-the-wall places. That's what I love about New York.

Glamour: Do you have any tattoos?
Aaron: No tattoos. I have debated and almost got a bluebird last year—like an old-fashioned bluebird on the inside of my arm. I liked the idea because it was one of the original sailor tattoos, and I think that's where "Bluebird on Your Shoulder" came from. A sailor would get a bluebird after 5,000 miles at sea and then get another one at 10,000. So I thought, I'm a traveling man, I got my 5,000 miles, so maybe I'll get my bluebird! So, I almost got that, but then I didn't. [Laughs] I think that it would make me look tough because I'm not really tough, so I just feel like I need a whole sleeve or something, but I would never do that! If I'm not going to get a whole sleeve, I'm not going to get any!

Glamour: What do you do to relax?
Aaron: I watch a lot of SportsCenter and the Golf Channel. Basically, I put the Golf Channel on in the background and it calms me. On that very rare day off, I like to play golf. Your mind has to go somewhere else and you can kind of clean slate everything. For me, it's very cathartic.

Glamour: I'd love to get married where they play the Masters, at Augusta National.
Aaron: Oh wow, that's amazing. But is that even possible to get married on that golf course?

Glamour: I don't know! It's just the most beautiful, relaxing place. No need for flowers, they've got those!
Aaron: It's a piece of heaven. And the music they run on CBS to go with it! Jim Nantz's voice! It's like, "Can you just read soft tones for me to sleep?" Oh, and also, I'm a mind/body guy and need to be physically active, so I like working out. I read a lot too. Almost every night before I go to bed.

Glamour: What do you read?
Aaron: Glamour. Definitely Glamour. [Laughs] I read novels. I read an article that says you should be away from technology for the last half-hour before you go to bed and you sleep better, and I totally buy it. It's just a way to get away.

Glamour: Lastly, what's the coolest thing you've gotten to do in life, given your success?
Aaron: The coolest thing is that—and I still pinch myself—that I got my first job under the craziest circumstances 11 years ago. I got cast in the national tour of Rent, and I had just switched to theater in my school. I was loving what I was doing, but didn't know much about the business. It just so happened that the music director for that tour went to my college and did a workshop with one of our classes. Afterwards, he said, "Hey, you're great for this. If anything comes up for this, I'm going to call you." I was thinking, Sure dude, yeah. And then three months later, he called me in for the final callback of this part. I got it and dropped out of school that day. I had just become an acting major in college, and like a year later, I was doing eight shows a week on tour. It just happened. I think for a long time I thought I was going to get found out that I really didn't know what I was doing, so I tried to overcompensate for that. The fact that all of these things have been able to continue and my life is so vastly different every day...I mean, I get to go to work, and I honestly jump out of bed when my alarm goes off...

Glamour: What's your secret? [Laughs]
Aaron: My secret is that I'm in a very small percentage of people who gets to utterly love what I get to do. And people pay me for it! What a joy that is. But besides that, the moments that have taken the cake are the opening nights of Next to Normal and Catch Me If You Can. I'll never forget those. And then performing at the Oscars for Les Mis and seeing Daniel Day Lewis and Jennifer Lawrence in the front row. That was a very seminal moment [in my career], and I think Grease: Live will be another one.

Source: Glamour Magazine

Grease: Then and Now

See the stars of 'Grease: Live' with their big-screen predecessors

Grease Is The Word

NaheB5S.jpg

Julianne Hough and Aaron Tveit will take the stage as Sandy and Danny in Fox's production of Grease: Live on Sunday. The two performers step into the famed shoes previously worn by Olivia Newton-John and John Travolta in the 1978 big-screen adaptation of Warren Casey and Jim Jacobs' musical. In honor of Grease: Live, see the stars with those that came before them, ahead.

ukehejP.jpg

Olivia Newton-John as Sandy and Julianne Hough as Sandy
Image Credit: Paramount Pictures/Courtesy Everett Collection; Tommy Garcia/FOX

vLXz2js.jpg

John Travolta as Danny and Aaron Tveit as Danny
Image Credit: Paramount Pictures/Courtesy Everett Collection; Tommy Garcia/FOX

9zEa7ZW.jpg

Stockard Channing as Betty Rizzo and Vanessa Hudgens as Rizzo
Image Credit: Paramount Pictures; Tommy Garcia/FOX

9GCDSjc.jpg

Jeff Conaway as Kenickie and Carlos PenaVega as Kenickie

MfyCQEC.jpg

Didi Conn as Frenchy and Carly Rae Jepsen as Frenchy

Source: Entertainment Weekly

Entertainment Weekly article contintued...

Tawm9Ou.jpg

Michael Tucci as Sonny and Andrew Call as Sonny

7KgmCtt.jpg

Jamie Donnelly as Jan and Kether Donohue as Jan

qgE0ivk.jpg

Barry Pearl as Doody and Jordan Fisher as Doody

Mfu8993.jpg

Dinah Manoff as Marty Maraschino and Keke Palmer as Marty

6V65Lmz.jpg

Kelly Ward as Putzie and David Del Rio as Putzie

'Grease: Live' EP on Sunday Rain Forecast: "We're Fully Prepared"

dJC2GzU.jpg

"That’s what makes live TV exciting — the unknown," executive producer Marc Platt tells THR about the probability of rain during Sunday's live show, which is set to film select scenes outdoors.

Greased lightening with a chance of rain and thunder?

Fox is finally set to unveil its three-hour Grease: Live telecast — a portion of which is set to film outdoors — on Sunday, the same day meteorologists are predicting a 100 percent chance of rain and "possible" thunder. However, executive producer Marc Platt isn't letting the forecast dampen his spirits.

"We're going live rain or shine and we're excited to do so," Platt tells The Hollywood Reporter. "We won’t do anything that isn't safe, ever. Safety always comes first, but I'm sure we'll be fine to do the outside portions."

Read More 'Hamilton's' Thomas Kail Makes the Leap to TV for "Bold" Take on 'Grease: Live'

Although rain is obviously not a frequent occurrence in Los Angeles, Platt says the possibility of bad weather "has been part of our thinking for many months." He points specifically back to early fall when reports first started flooding — pun intended — in about the return of El Nino, which causes rainfall.

"Obviously, we try to be smart about how we prepare because we did want to be outside, rain or shine, and we've been preparing this for many months," he says. "We hope that we've planned intelligently."

Platt says the early warnings about rain never deterred him and the rest of the creative team from venturing outside for the show.

Read More Aaron Tveit Talks 'Grease: Live' and "Emotional Rollercoaster" From 'Graceland' to 'BrainDead'

"We said, 'Alright, there's certain portions we're happy to do whether it's raining or not outside,' so we're sticking to that and looking forward to Sunday," Platt says. "Sometimes events at high schools like at Rydell happen outside just like they do in the real world and we're fully prepared."

If anything, Platt hopes that questions surrounding the weather will attract viewers.

"That’s what makes live TV exciting — the unknown! So we're going for it," he says. "It is live TV, so if you're interested to see how it looks rain or shine, tune in."

Source: The Hollywood Reporter

Grease: Live's Danny: Aaron Tveit Got Ripped for the Show!

Aaron Tveit is starring in tonight’s production of Grease: Live as Danny Zuko and his body looks ripped for the role!

The 32-year-old actor is no stranger to showing off some skin on screen and stage and tonight you’ll get to see a quick flash of his six pack abs.

PHOTOS: Check out the latest pics of Aaron Tveit

Aaron has previously starred on Broadway in the musicals Next to Normal, Catch Me If You Can, Wicked, and more. He had a featured role in the movie version of Les Miserables and he also starred on the USA series Graceland. His performance in Grease: Live is sure to make him known by audiences across the country!

Recently, Aaron chatted with THR about how his Danny will be different than John Travolta‘s version.

“I have watched the movie, I mean Travolta‘s amazing in it and the way that he does it. But also – because I’m a little more blond than he is – my Danny’s more of a James Dean Danny than an Elvis Danny so I’m kind of thinking about that,” he said.

50+ pictures inside of Aaron Tveit rehearsing for the live production…

JQA3BuO.jpg

MzomRQx.jpg

Ttre1zT.jpg

zQFWfDK.jpg

tElmoXT.jpg

MORE: Grease: Live’s Danny: Aaron Tveit Got Ripped for the Show! | Aaron Tveit, Grease Live : Just Jared | http://www.justjared.com/2016/01/31...it-got-ripped-for-the-show/?trackback=tsmclip

It's electrifying! Julianne Hough's sexy Sandy leads Grease Live to five star reviews and high ratings after dodging torrential rain and overcoming sound issues

• Fans took to social media to rave after 12.2million viewers tuned in for three-hour extravaganza
    [*]Critics were equally impressed, with the show winning five-star reviews
    [*]Vanessa Hudgens wowed as Rizzo, despite the death of her father just hours before the show

kJUhGuP.jpg

It's electrifying! Julianne Hough's sexy Sandy leads Grease Live to five star reviews and high ratings after dodging torrential rain and overcoming sound issues on Sunday night
g3fnF0O.jpg

Wowed: Viewers took to social media to rave about the Dancing With The Stars judge - just one of just one of many highlights in the production
zm2iGpS.jpg

Practice makes perfect! The stars didn't miss a beat with their choreography throughout the three-hour show

Fox took a huge risk in re-creating the classic 1978 movie which famously starred John Travolta as Danny Zuko and Olivia Newton-John as Sandy.

The plot, which centered around the good girl and the greaser falling in love during the summer and rekindling their romance after finding themselves together again in high school needed no introduction.

Despite a couple of technical glitches, including a sound interruption at the school dance and static noise over Hough’s rendition of Hopelessly Devoted To You, Fox’s production generally went as well as could be hoped.

EfOKgOV.jpg

Lacking chemistry? While Aaron Tveit was a natural as Danny Zuko and Julianne Hough looked a double for the original Sandy, the pair did not recreate the sizzling connection of the 1978 casting of John Travolta and Olivia Newton-John

And with a cast and crew of around 600 people, 14 different sets on 20 acres of studio lot and a live audience, the production was impressive from start to finish.

Even the rain from – as Mario Lopez put it – 'special guest El Nino' didn’t interfere too much, aside from the addition of a few umbrellas to the opening number.

As pop singer Jessie J performed Grease Is The Word, strutting through the backstage area in a leather jacket, trousers and bra top, the scale of the production became immediately obvious.

s64YoZq.jpg

Show must go on: Vanessa Hudgens put on an impressive performance as the feisty Rizzo in Grease: Live on Sunday despite losing her father just hours earlier

While the chorus members danced outside with umbrellas, Jessie made her way between sound stages and trailers while golf buggies whizzed around her and fans went crazy behind metal barriers.

Script writers did not miss the opportunity to make a joke about the live broadcast as Vince Fontaine producer Mr. Weaver spoke to Principal McGee and secretary Blanche about the high school dance.

'A live broadcast. How exciting. But what if something goes wrong?' Blanche asked.

bz0XOl6.jpg

Those summer nights! Julianne Hough was perfect as sweet-natured Sandy and was seen in a white blouse and powder blue circle skirt

BFC30uj.jpg

Summer loving! Aaron Tveit - known for Les Miserables, Graceland and Gossip Girl - played macho leather-clad T-Bird Danny Zuko - Sandy's love interest

'That doesn’t matter,' Mr. Weaver assured her. 'The television audience is pretty forgiving.'

And after being introduced to Marty, played by Keke Palmer, Mr. Weaver added: 'It’s looking more and more like Rydell has got what it takes.'

'Let’s just hope it doesn’t rain,' the school principal quipped.

Keen eyed viewers and Grease fanatics were always going to pick out the odd change from the original movie.

While Sandy was from Salt Lake City, Utah – Hough’s hometown – instead of Australia, a few risqué lyrics were altered to make the show more family friendly.

The most noticeable changes came during Grease Lightning, which saw Aaron Tveit’s Danny Zuko pelvic thrusting and showing off some slick dance moves with his fellow T-Birds.

Original lyric 'the chicks’ll cream' became 'the chicks’ll scream' and 'she’s a real pussy wagon' was changed to 'she’s a real dream wagon'.

Hudgens ended a rousing version of Look At Me I’m Sandra Dee with 'be cool' instead of the more profane Italian 'Hey, Fongul!' and during Palmer’s rendition of Freddy My Love 'wearing my lacy lingerie' was swapped out in favour of 'carrying my wedding bouquet'.

While there was no getting around the questionable gender politics of Sandy changing her appearance and becoming a supposed 'sexier' version of herself to win over a man, Jan – a running fat joke in both the stage and film versions of Grease – was handed a slight body positivity makeover.

When Jan, played by Kether Donahue, claimed she was on a diet because the camera adds 10lbs, her would-be suitor Putzie encouraged her not to get rid of the good parts and his line 'I also think there’s more to you than being fat' was changed to 'being weird'.

witter exploded as viewers thought Grease Live had ditched Hopelessly Devoted To You from the score, but Sandy’s famous solo number was merely positioned a few scenes later in the show.

Another alteration was the addition of original song All I Need Is An Angel, performed by Carly Rae Jepsen as Rizzo. Beauty School Dropout, meanwhile, was sung by Boys II Men.

Julianne Hough showed off an impressive vocal range as good girl Sandy and her dance background shone through during the big dance numbers, even eclipsing Yvette Gonzalez-Nacer as Cha Cha in the high school dance scene.

But one of the best touches of the night was the casting of Didi Conn, who played Frenchy in the original film, as waitress Vi.

When Carly Rae Jepsen’s Frenchy opened up about her fears of not finding the career of her dreams, Vi reassured her: 'Don’t you worry hun, you’ll find something. I know you will.'

One stand-out performance came from Vanessa Hudgens, who lost her father to cancer just hours before the show.

Having said she would perform in his honour, the High School Musical star did just that and in the process captured the nation’s hearts.

As Rizzo her flawless renditions of fan favourites There Are Worse Things I Could Do and Look At Me, I’m Sandra Dee, along with some slick dance moves, displayed true professionalism.

As she sung the line: 'To cry in front of you. That’s the worst thing I could do' it was impossible not to be impressed with the former Disney actress.

And when Frenchy, played by Carly Rae Jepsen consoled Julianne Hough’s Sandy over Danny Zuko’s bad behaviour and told her 'The only man a girl can depend on is her daddy' viewers’ thoughts were firmly with Hudgens.

WdIgNib.jpg

Source: DailyMail

Odds & Ends: Aaron Tveit's Miscast, Mormons in London, Budweiser Taps Helen Mirren & More

0m0KTam.jpg

Here's a quick roundup of stories you may have missed today.

Aaron Tveit's Miscast
Grease: Live’s (and your Broadway boyf) Aaron Tveit, along with The Color Purple's Cynthia Erivo, The Wiz's Shanice Williams, Unbreakable Kimmy Schmidt's Tituss Burgess, Allegiance's Lea Salonga, Our Mother's Brief Affair's Linda Lavin, Waitress' Keala Settle, Noises Off's Megan Hilty, On Your Feet!'s Ana Villafañe and more have been tapped for MCC Theater’s Miscast 2016.
The previously announced gala event, where Broadway’s hottest stars perform songs from roles in which they would never be cast, will honor stage and screen star Marisa Tomei. Can someone get us tickets to the show on April 4 at the Hammerstein Ballroom, pretty please?

Source: http://www.broadway.com/buzz/183689...s-in-london-budweiser-taps-helen-mirren-more/

The Fans Have Spoken! Your Top 10 Aaron Tveit Roles Revealed
FEATURES By Beth Stevens February 1, 2016 - 5:34PM

izzWH1A.jpg

You watched Grease: Live, you squealed at "Greased Lightning," you told your friends at your Grease viewing party (you did have a Grease viewing party, didn't you?!) that you totally knew Aaron Tveit way back when. Because you did. You really did.

But then just as you were rolling on the high of "You're the One That I Want," we asked you to rank your favorite Aaron Tveit roles on Culturalist.com. And it was hard. And the night was not young. And you hunkered down and did it. Are we sorry? No, we are not. Below are your top 10 roles for our Broadway boyfriend. Read it and then get some rest. You deserve it.

lZEIn0x.gif

William "Tripp" van der Bilt III,Gossip Girl

NE3tXHF.jpg

John Wilkes Booth, Assassins

GFXihoK.gif

Mike Warren, Graceland

mqftzML.gif

Link Larkin, Hairspray

cWLHgw5.jpg

Roger Davis, Rent

pdZv1DJ.gif

Frank Abagnale Jr., Catch Me If You Can