A small bomb dropped on me today at work....

*Sigh* I went through the exact same thing at my last job. I learned a lot from that experience and I would like to share it with you.

#1: Don't take it personally.
Even though it's hard, you have to let go of that nagging voice that's telling you they hold the new person in higher esteem than you. It sucks when you feel you are a team player, paying your dues etc... and then someone just waltzes in and gets a red carpet welcome. It's just business. Nothing personal.
#2: Keep smiling.
Don't get upset and start setting up meetings to bring your plight to the 'higher-ups'' attention. Smile and keep a low profile. You probably don't want to get a reputation for being a hothead, overly emotional, or any of the other nice things people can say to make you seem out of line for reacting in a normal way.
#3: Get some perspective.
You job is important but there are many things that are much more important. Focus on those things.
#4: Be a problem solver.
You have few options. You can keep plugging away. You can look for a more suitable environment. Just a few options. Don't expect your plight to matter to others because it probably doesn't.

Sorry if I'm a little circumspect but I think diplomacy is best in this situation.

Is this temporary until they expand or find new office space? If so, I would try to make due and show that I'm flexible and willing to be a team player. It just may pay off down the road.

I'm not the newest person. There are three people newer than I am, and this guy makes the fourth. But he is coming in to manage SALES, whereas I manage print production....

My boss wanted to take the spot to prove they need to start building our new building -- proving a point-- IE "When the art director is in THERE you know it's time to expand" but I just refuse to let him do that.

I sympathize with you, but somebody's gotta do it, know what I mean? If I were you, I'd just be a good sport about it. You're only going to create bad feelings if you say, "Well, why can't BOB move into that spot" etc. etc.

Thanks for the advice, ladies. I'm sucking it up, and I guess my boss seems to think I'm a real trooper because now he's battling with upper management over it and telling me not to move anywhere.

I am sorry that your company treats you like this... in Germany I think we have more options to protect ourselves from such treatments; the room you decribe wouldn't even be eligible to be used as an office here. :cursing:
I hope your boss at least apologized about a 1,000 times to you... can you give him the feeling that he owes you something? That may come in handy one day when you need a favour.
:crybaby:
Regina

Thanks for the advice, ladies. I'm sucking it up, and I guess my boss seems to think I'm a real trooper because now he's battling with upper management over it and telling me not to move anywhere.

That's great! It's a sad truth that sales and marketing always seem to get the best, but they are front line and that's the ways the cookie gets crumbled. :rolleyes:

Sounds like it may be more temporary than you think! But I did think the suggestion that maybe you could share an office with a colleague might be another alternative to explore until the construction is completed. :tup:

You always strike me as very positive with a can-do attitude and I don't think this will set you back for long. Keep your gorgeous chin up!:flowers:

I've been at my new job for almost six months now. I love it here and I love the people I work with. We've been planning on expanding our building for a long time now because we are growing SO fast and we're out of room.

Congrats on having a job you love... with people you love and can work with... with a thriving company! That is wonderful!:tup:

I know the office situation sucks but IMO it sounds like you are happy with your job and the company in every other way so I'm sure you will be rewarded for being a team player during the transition... I've had jobs I loved and jobs I've hated... and I can assure you... a job you love and a great group of people are a zillion times harder to find than a job you hate with great digs!

Maybe get a small plant and some pictures... just a little something to make it a little cherrier until you move...:flowers:

Cheers to you for keeping such a wonderful attitude about everything! I think it's good that your sacrificing yourself for the well-being of the company's construction. I would still continue to do good work, and maybe when talk of promotions and raises comes around, your sacrifice will shine in your bosses minds! Good luck, and we're here if you need to vent! :tup: