2024 Resolution: Shopping my own Bag and SLG Collection

I have lately listed or sent to consignment a couple of bags I love the look of, but never have left the closet. I need the space. I am trying to stick with the confines of the space I have. I enjoy having a lot of bags. I am not a minimalist when it comes to them. So I need to stop thinking of a way to store more? What is you favorite storage solution that you can still grab what you need easily?
Storage solution which helps me grab what I need quickly- - I store bags side by side on the top shelf only in 3 areas. In the hallway closet near the garage door, the top shelf houses my everyday bags, in season bags, and beater bags (if it’s raining). A wooden cupboard in the bedroom has premier designer bags on the top shelf. And finally, the top shelf of the main/master closet has mostly contemporary and casual bags. These are the only 3 areas that my bags are stored in. The designated space is always on the top shelf closest to the ceiling. Even though it sounds like I am spread out over 3 areas, the actual space is quite small in each area and helps me stay disciplined in my purchases in order to avoid overflow.
I am curious what color do you have the most bags in and is that color the one you use the most? I have more blue bags than any other color, but I no longer grab the blues as much as I used to.
Without a doubt, the answer in my case is brown; specifically, a British tan color followed by dark chocolate but really a fan of many shades of brown like cognac, whiskey etc. It’s also my most used color. Is there a reason why you’re no longer grabbing the blue bags like before?

I realize I forgot my stats for April but there’s nothing much to report. I am in purse pause, which is an interesting place to be in because while I still want certain bags, I don’t need them at all from the point of view of usage and lifestyle. So I’m pausing and just using what I have. It will probably continue this way for the rest of the year but I will pop in as and when I can to update or just chat about bags.

It will be a busy late summer into fall due to a wedding in the family. In the meantime I have been involved in major decluttering, both stuff in our home, and also planning on helping my brother with some clearing up. With all of this, I may not be around as much as I’d like to but will still pop in every now and then.:heart:

Last edited:
I’m back from my 3 week trip to Italy. The goal was to go with no checked bags and for the most part, it worked out. All that paranoia about being pickpocketed - nothing happened but nonetheless, the guides did forewarn us in Florence (which was so crowded, it was unpleasant. I can’t even imagine what it’s like in summer ugh). But that’s not the point of this post. I am here to report on my bags.

1 roll aboard TravelPro (filled with compression cubes)
1 personal item tote H Paris Bombay 37
And
1 daily crossbody (this traveled inside the Paris Bombay during flights) Chloe Roy mini. The crossbody strap is removable and it has a top handle for a slightly more dressy vibe.

Here they are (color is slightly distorted; the Paris Bombay is Clemence Rubis)

View attachment 6005371
The daily use Roy is surprisingly spacious; big enough to carry a small umbrella, water bottle, glasses, wallet and misc little things (lip balm, sunscreen, tissues, mints). That was a success.

The Paris Bombay..not so much. In retrospect, I’d carry a lighter more voluminous zip duffel over this bag, which was heavy and just a smidge too small. By the end of the trip, I couldn’t zip it up. I can’t risk things falling out so I put all the contents into one of those packable shopping totes, tied the top, and shoved it into the H. So much for trying to be stylish.

The real star was the cross body phone holder wallet, that had a pocket for credit card and cash. I didn’t have to worry about dropping my phone or losing it and I had immediate access to the cc. Anyway I carried that with the Roy daily and probably could have just carried the phone wallet (even now, I could run errands with just a phone, id, and cc but I am resisting because I have a closet full of SLGs and bags that need to see the light of day)

View attachment 6005379

So in the end, packing light and not checking is still my preference. I just need to find a different “personal item” for such a long trip. Side note: My usual personal item, the trusty YSL Majorelle probably would not have fared any better than the H in terms of size. These two really work best when it’s business travel.
Oh well. That’s my report. What do you all use for your carryons?

P.S. on our Venice to Zurich flight, I spied an elegant lady carrying a croc Kelly - that was her purse..I was too distracted/excited to note her other luggage! I’ll post that on the H wildlife sightings thread.
@essiedub your Paris Bombay 37 is gorgeous. You are definitely a pro packer!

Essie - what a great and informative post! You are my hero - I am trying to learn to pack in a more efficient way... I am succeeding somewhat.

I have a lightweight carry-on suitcase (made by IT), and then I carry my Longchamp Le Pliage Neo - which is what I put my handbag of choice for when I get where I'm going.
I decided I wanted (can't say need) a lighter color tote for travel like the Longchamp, so I bought a Tory Burch tote to see what I think. I'm worried it might be too heavy though.
I think a longchamp is a good choice. I should look into whether they have a big size that looks small. I want it to look big purse-tote-sized (if that even makes sense) and not like a 2nd carryon. Lightweight is key. I should weigh that Paris Bombay - guessing it’s 5 lbs empty. Oy.

Please show your Tory Burch! Are you heading somewhere exciting this year?

Storage solution which helps me grab what I need quickly- - I store bags side by side on the top shelf only in 3 areas. In the hallway closet near the garage door, the top shelf houses my everyday bags, in season bags, and beater bags (if it’s raining). A wooden cupboard in the bedroom has premier designer bags on the top shelf. And finally, the top shelf of the main/master closet has mostly contemporary and casual bags. These are the only 3 areas that my bags are stored in. The designated space is always on the top shelf closest to the ceiling. Even though it sounds like I am spread out over 3 areas, the actual space is quite small in each area and helps me stay disciplined in my purchases in order to avoid overflow.

Without a doubt, the answer in my case is brown; specifically, a British tan color followed by dark chocolate but really a fan of many shades of brown like cognac, whiskey etc. It’s also my most used color. Is there a reason why you’re no longer grabbing the blue bags like before?

I realize I forgot my stats for April but there’s nothing much to report. I am in purse pause, which is an interesting place to be in because while I still want certain bags, I don’t need them at all from the point of view of usage and lifestyle. So I’m pausing and just using what I have. It will probably continue this way for the rest of the year but I will pop in as and when I can to update or just chat about bags.

It will be a busy late summer into fall due to a wedding in the family. In the meantime I have been involved in major decluttering, both stuff in our home, and also planning on helping my brother with some clearing up. With all of this, I may not be around as much as I’d like to but will still pop in every now and then.:heart:
I have mine in three areas as well. The ones that are kept in dust covers are used the least. I think I may need to rotate those by taking two at a time out of there covers and putting them in the quick grab closet. Thanks for the idea. I think I use the blue bags less since many of my coats are blue. Though now that it is warmer I am using them a bit more. Perhaps for fall I need a new jacket that is a contrast, yet complimentary to the blue bags.

I’m back from my 3 week trip to Italy. The goal was to go with no checked bags and for the most part, it worked out. All that paranoia about being pickpocketed - nothing happened but nonetheless, the guides did forewarn us in Florence (which was so crowded, it was unpleasant. I can’t even imagine what it’s like in summer ugh). But that’s not the point of this post. I am here to report on my bags.

1 roll aboard TravelPro (filled with compression cubes)
1 personal item tote H Paris Bombay 37
And
1 daily crossbody (this traveled inside the Paris Bombay during flights) Chloe Roy mini. The crossbody strap is removable and it has a top handle for a slightly more dressy vibe.

Here they are (color is slightly distorted; the Paris Bombay is Clemence Rubis)

View attachment 6005371
The daily use Roy is surprisingly spacious; big enough to carry a small umbrella, water bottle, glasses, wallet and misc little things (lip balm, sunscreen, tissues, mints). That was a success.

The Paris Bombay..not so much. In retrospect, I’d carry a lighter more voluminous zip duffel over this bag, which was heavy and just a smidge too small. By the end of the trip, I couldn’t zip it up. I can’t risk things falling out so I put all the contents into one of those packable shopping totes, tied the top, and shoved it into the H. So much for trying to be stylish.

The real star was the cross body phone holder wallet, that had a pocket for credit card and cash. I didn’t have to worry about dropping my phone or losing it and I had immediate access to the cc. Anyway I carried that with the Roy daily and probably could have just carried the phone wallet (even now, I could run errands with just a phone, id, and cc but I am resisting because I have a closet full of SLGs and bags that need to see the light of day)

View attachment 6005379

So in the end, packing light and not checking is still my preference. I just need to find a different “personal item” for such a long trip. Side note: My usual personal item, the trusty YSL Majorelle probably would not have fared any better than the H in terms of size. These two really work best when it’s business travel.
Oh well. That’s my report. What do you all use for your carryons?

P.S. on our Venice to Zurich flight, I spied an elegant lady carrying a croc Kelly - that was her purse..I was too distracted/excited to note her other luggage! I’ll post that on the H wildlife sightings thread.
That’s why I sold my Paris Bombay 37 - it was just too heavy to cart around all day. (And I scratched it going into tight spaces once.) And I stay in inexpensive hotels, so I was nervous leaving it in the room. Sigh.

I would have had much more trouble letting it go if it had been that gorgeous red, though. :love:

I carry LC Le Pliage Shopper L Neos in various colors, for travel and as work laptop bags. The Cuir line is discontinued? changed? now, but even in leather it’s much less heavy than the Paris Bombay.

I will warn you that the LC does not balance well on top of a roller suitcase, and will slide around and drag on the floor when running through the airport at top speed. :smile:

I have mine in three areas as well. The ones that are kept in dust covers are used the least. I think I may need to rotate those by taking two at a time out of there covers and putting them in the quick grab closet. Thanks for the idea. I think I use the blue bags less since many of my coats are blue. Though now that it is warmer I am using them a bit more. Perhaps for fall I need a new jacket that is a contrast, yet complimentary to the blue bags.
Mine are all in one area - the top half of an IKEA Pax section. However, the Pax is in an inconvenient location, so I don’t swap out my bags as often as I could.

At least it’s aesthetically pleasing, so I go and admire them periodically… :smile:

That’s why I sold my Paris Bombay 37 - it was just too heavy to cart around all day. (And I scratched it going into tight spaces once.) And I stay in inexpensive hotels, so I was nervous leaving it in the room. Sigh.

I would have had much more trouble letting it go if it had been that gorgeous red, though. :love:

I carry LC Le Pliage Shopper L Neos in various colors, for travel and as work laptop bags. The Cuir line is discontinued? changed? now, but even in leather it’s much less heavy than the Paris Bombay.

I will warn you that the LC does not balance well on top of a roller suitcase, and will slide around and drag on the floor when running through the airport at top speed. :smile:
Weight sigh…
It’s all about the weight to size ratio. It’s not been an issue for me as I drive everywhere here.

So I’m on the hunt! I think Longchamp wins here but I hear you on the imbalance! Oh and I scratched the clemence also (erg)

When I move my bags to the quick grab hallway closet, they always get used more often so it’s a good idea to relocate bags that need more usage into that closet.

There are so many shades of blue and some blue shades complement each other and some don’t so it’s understandable that you’re using them less because of having blue coats. I have several blue coats and blazers and find that some of my blue bags don’t work with certain blue coats if I am going for a monochromatic look.
A new jacket for fall is always a nice idea in my book! Hope you can find one that works with your blue bags.

@essiedub, your Paris Bombay bag is gorgeous!
I find that personal bag/carry on bags on board are best if they have a sleeve (I think that is what they’re called) which slides over the carry-on suitcase handle. The sleeve helps the personal item bag to sit securely on top of the wheeled suitcase without slipping off and needing to be constantly repositioned. I have very little airport style, lol, and just go with things that are comfortable.

I have lately listed or sent to consignment a couple of bags I love the look of, but never have left the closet. I need the space. I am trying to stick with the confines of the space I have. I enjoy having a lot of bags. I am not a minimalist when it comes to them. So I need to stop thinking of a way to store more? What is you favorite storage solution that you can still grab what you need easily?
I keep mine in two places - in my closet or by the back door.
Purses by the back door are being carried more right now, the ones in the closet are in their bags waiting to be carried.
I think a longchamp is a good choice. I should look into whether they have a big size that looks small. I want it to look big purse-tote-sized (if that even makes sense) and not like a 2nd carryon. Lightweight is key. I should weigh that Paris Bombay - guessing it’s 5 lbs empty. Oy.

Please show your Tory Burch! Are you heading somewhere exciting this year?
Not this year, but next year we're going to Paris!
I will show the TB when it arrives tomorrow!

I keep all of mine on one very large bookcase. They are all in dustbags so I don't have visual cues to remind me of bags I may have neglected.

@essiedub, your Paris Bombay bag is gorgeous!
I find that personal bag/carry on bags on board are best if they have a sleeve (I think that is what they’re called) which slides over the carry-on suitcase handle. The sleeve helps the personal item bag to sit securely on top of the wheeled suitcase without slipping off and needing to be constantly repositioned. I have very little airport style, lol, and just go with things that are comfortable.
Comfort ..yes ..So true. And lighter and roomier

Reactions: Purses & Perfumes