2022 Resolution: Shopping my own bag and SLG collection. Anyone else?

Status
Not open for further replies.
2 Aug - brand showcase: A-F
4 Sept - brand showcase: G-L
11 Sept - brand showcase: M-R
18 Sept - brand showcase: S-Z
25 Sept - totes
2 Oct - satchels
9 Oct - crossbodies inc WOCS
16 Oct - shoulder bags
23 Oct - bucket bags
30 Oct - clutches
6 Nov - backpacks
13 Nov - bags that don’t count
20 Nov - pairing bags with shoes
27 Nov - pairing bags with other accessories
4 Dec - bag storage
11 Dec - SLGs
18 Dec - charms

Challenges:
Sept - bags in different locations
Oct - Halloween: wear orange or black bags
Nov - International Merlot Day: wear wine coloured bags or pair bags with wine.
Dec - use the bag.

Just want to provide an update that I've REALLY enjoyed tracking my bag usage - I thought using a spreadsheet would be too much effort, but I actually find that tracking usage makes me more motivated to rotate bags and I feel so accomplished when I do. I also figured I might as well do a better job of cataloging my bags, so I now have all the details logged for each bag I own (purchase date, price, who/where I purchased it from, season, serial number, sold date/price if applicable). It's fun!

It's been awhile since I posted an update on this thread - but I kept up with my bag tracking throughout 2022 and thought I'd share my stats!

5 most worn bags:
  1. Goyard Artois MM, Sky Blue - 105 wears
  2. Chanel Classic Caviar WOC, Black SHW - 93 wears
  3. Fendi Mini Selleria Peekaboo, Grey SHW - 32 wears
  4. Celine Mini Belt Bag, Light Taupe - 31 wears
  5. Chanel Reissue 226, Black RHW - 23 wears
Screen Shot 2023-01-01 at 10.28.14 AM.png

5 least worn bags - YIKES!!!:

1. Senreve Maestra, Chestnut - 0 wears
  2. Chanel Mini Rectangular, Iridescent Ivory - 0 wears
  3. Dior MyABC Lady Dior, Blush - 0 wears
  4. Chanel Small Classic Flap, Black RGHW - 0 wears
  5. Chanel Jumbo Classic Flap, Beige Clair, GHW - 1 wear

Screen Shot 2023-01-01 at 10.36.28 AM.png

So, my reflections are below:
  • Least worn bags puts a pit in my stomach - 4 bags with 0 WEARS. I know I need to sell the beige Clair and the Maestra, no question. Given the market sucks right now, I'll wait to sell, but these are on the definite sell list. The Chanel mini is the one I am so torn about! I bought that in 2020 and saved it to use as my wedding bag, but I ended up using my cream Fendi First (which I was really happy with!) as it felt more elegant and appropriate with my wedding attire (and I've used it a lot since then!). I do really like the mini, but I don't think I'll wear it as much as I will the FF, so I think at some point I will sell it. The reason I didn't wear the Lady Dior or the RGHW classic flap is because I was scared to use the lambskin! Every time we were going out to dinner, it seemed like there was a chance of rain. I need to get over this fear in 2023 and just USE them or sell them!
  • I'm struck by the major drop-off in usage from my top 5. I have 8 bags that I wore between 8-11 times each this year, and ALL of those bags are expensive bags (relative to the average in my collection). Most of these are colorful bags and therefore more limiting to pair with my wardrobe. I need to think about whether it makes sense to keep so many bags that get relatively infrequent use. Not in a rush to sell any of these, but I'll be considering how I can work them into the rotation more in 2023.
  • Interesting that my most worn bags are all cool or neutral tones and least worn are mostly warm tones. I'll need to do a wardrobe audit to see if cool tones are a limiting factor (I thought I also had a lot of warm tones, but maybe not?)
  • My Goyard Artois and Chanel WOC are workhorses! They both look fantastic - hardly any wear, though the leather has softened on both
  • My most worn bags aren't necessarily the ones that give me the most joy to use. They are all super practical, but I think if I downsized to only these 5 bags, I would really really miss some of the fun from my other bags like my iridescent green classic flap or my Bordeaux birkin 30
This analysis definitely puts my bags in perspective - I bought 4 bags this year and would like to buy less than that next year. I have a bag for (almost!) every occasion and want to continue to enjoy the ones I have already!

December 2022 stats

- 0 bags in/out
- 0 SLG in/out
- 9/12 bags used, more than half so I consider that a win. If I didn’t get Covid the week before Christmas, I could have done better. But oh well. :P

- 1 pair of costume earrings just ordered. A pair of Vivien Westwood earrings. Something that’s been on my wishlist for a while but I never really pulled the trigger (no store near me, I prefer to try on in store) But since her passing I’ve decided to finally get a pair in her memory.

2022 in review. I didn’t really have any set goals. Just generally sticking to my 2 bags a year purchase + 1 bag in, 1 bag out (when I fulfill my 2 bags a year quota)
Worked on wearing my RTW more often which I did.
I’m glad this thread encouraged me to switch up and use various bags more often.
I’ve noticed that I’ve accumulated quite a few SLGs . May want to either downsize or just hold myself back for 2023.

This year has been a lot! I spent 4 days snowed in without power at Christmas time and I think it was a final “eff you” from 2022. Thankfully all of my loved ones and I are well, and we gladly bid last year good riddance!

I joined this thread because I recognized that I was using shopping as a distraction from some difficult life circumstances in 2022. I bought more bags, SLGs and charms than ever before! I don’t have a picture of all of the SLGs and charms (I think 7 all together) but here are all but one of my bags from 2022:

71ED5CDE-990C-44FC-8E25-A3F4ED5589A1.jpeg
Not pictured with the group is my RM Edie Crossbody

A2B115F2-63E0-4AEB-A273-D67E0ABF8534.jpeg
I did sell 4 bags and a few other accessories so I’m happy about that. I’ve taken some big steps to improve my life and I’ve also bought all the bags that I had my eye on this year, so I’ve entered the new year feeling pretty confident that I won’t go down the same road with bags and SLGs that I did in 2022. I’m feeling that elusive sense of “purse peace” and am excited to use what I have.

I’m not ruling out any new purchases because bans have the opposite effect on me, but I’m not on the hunt for anything and have learned to appreciate something without needing to own it. I only have so many opportunities to wear what I already have in the first place, and I don’t have the shelf space for a bunch of bags to just sit on display.

Last edited:
It's been awhile since I posted an update on this thread - but I kept up with my bag tracking throughout 2022 and thought I'd share my stats!

5 most worn bags:
  1. Goyard Artois MM, Sky Blue - 105 wears
  2. Chanel Classic Caviar WOC, Black SHW - 93 wears
  3. Fendi Mini Selleria Peekaboo, Grey SHW - 32 wears
  4. Celine Mini Belt Bag, Light Taupe - 31 wears
  5. Chanel Reissue 226, Black RHW - 23 wears
View attachment 5681453

5 least worn bags - YIKES!!!:

1. Senreve Maestra, Chestnut - 0 wears
  2. Chanel Mini Rectangular, Iridescent Ivory - 0 wears
  3. Dior MyABC Lady Dior, Blush - 0 wears
  4. Chanel Small Classic Flap, Black RGHW - 0 wears
  5. Chanel Jumbo Classic Flap, Beige Clair, GHW - 1 wear

View attachment 5681457

So, my reflections are below:
  • Least worn bags puts a pit in my stomach - 4 bags with 0 WEARS. I know I need to sell the beige Clair and the Maestra, no question. Given the market sucks right now, I'll wait to sell, but these are on the definite sell list. The Chanel mini is the one I am so torn about! I bought that in 2020 and saved it to use as my wedding bag, but I ended up using my cream Fendi First (which I was really happy with!) as it felt more elegant and appropriate with my wedding attire (and I've used it a lot since then!). I do really like the mini, but I don't think I'll wear it as much as I will the FF, so I think at some point I will sell it. The reason I didn't wear the Lady Dior or the RGHW classic flap is because I was scared to use the lambskin! Every time we were going out to dinner, it seemed like there was a chance of rain. I need to get over this fear in 2023 and just USE them or sell them!
  • I'm struck by the major drop-off in usage from my top 5. I have 8 bags that I wore between 8-11 times each this year, and ALL of those bags are expensive bags (relative to the average in my collection). Most of these are colorful bags and therefore more limiting to pair with my wardrobe. I need to think about whether it makes sense to keep so many bags that get relatively infrequent use. Not in a rush to sell any of these, but I'll be considering how I can work them into the rotation more in 2023.
  • Interesting that my most worn bags are all cool or neutral tones and least worn are mostly warm tones. I'll need to do a wardrobe audit to see if cool tones are a limiting factor (I thought I also had a lot of warm tones, but maybe not?)
  • My Goyard Artois and Chanel WOC are workhorses! They both look fantastic - hardly any wear, though the leather has softened on both
  • My most worn bags aren't necessarily the ones that give me the most joy to use. They are all super practical, but I think if I downsized to only these 5 bags, I would really really miss some of the fun from my other bags like my iridescent green classic flap or my Bordeaux birkin 30
This analysis definitely puts my bags in perspective - I bought 4 bags this year and would like to buy less than that next year. I have a bag for (almost!) every occasion and want to continue to enjoy the ones I have already!
I love your collection and your insights! Looking forward to hearing about your progress in 2023 on the new thread.

December 2022 Stats:
4 bags in - 2 gifts, 2 gifts to myself
0 bags out
Used 15 different bags.
Like @ItsPurseonal I noticed my most used bags for 2022 weren’t necessarily my favorite, but the ones that were most practical/easy to use. I will definitely make an effort to use the others more.
While I did still gravitate towards neutral bags, I did add some color in 2022 - a bright blue LC, a few reds & two in the purple family.

December Stats

I continued trying to wear my 4 bags that still have a high CPW - with again - limited success.
I did wear the Dior 5 times and the Kelly 4 - so that did help a little.

I learned that while I like the Dalvy and the leather is stunning - I don't love it. And that while the Drag is a stunning bag and the leather is a marvelous color - I don't love it. I may list them both and see what happens - if they sell, they sell and if they don't I'll keep taking care of them and wearing themI once in a while.
(on the other hand, I think 'Oh heck - keep 'em for that once in a while - you have the room... I dunno)

YTD totals
Purses in and out - 6 in, 2 sold, and 3 donated
SLG in and out - 1 in, 1 out (I found a lovely Silk'in for an amazing price.. had to get it!)
Scarves in and out - 24 in, 11 out. OOF. I have to do better here.

See you on the 2023 thread!

December Update: Intentions, Challenges, and Stats
  • Bag Rotation: carried 12
  • Exited 50 items, clothing, books, electronics, household items/1021 items YTD
  • Read 1 book, Olive Kitteridge by Elizabeth Strout
  • My most frequently carried bag in December: Coco Handle
December 2022 Stats
Bags - 0 in, 0 out
SLGs - 0 in, 0 out

YTD 2022 Stats
Bags - 1 in, 0 out
SLGs - 0 in, 0 out

I don't believe anyone has put the link to the new thread here yet. I just found it:

Status
Not open for further replies.