2022 Resolution: Shopping my own bag and SLG collection. Anyone else?

Status
Not open for further replies.
2 Aug - brand showcase: A-F
4 Sept - brand showcase: G-L
11 Sept - brand showcase: M-R
18 Sept - brand showcase: S-Z
25 Sept - totes
2 Oct - satchels
9 Oct - crossbodies inc WOCS
16 Oct - shoulder bags
23 Oct - bucket bags
30 Oct - clutches
6 Nov - backpacks
13 Nov - bags that don’t count
20 Nov - pairing bags with shoes
27 Nov - pairing bags with other accessories
4 Dec - bag storage
11 Dec - SLGs
18 Dec - charms

Challenges:
Sept - bags in different locations
Oct - Halloween: wear orange or black bags
Nov - International Merlot Day: wear wine coloured bags or pair bags with wine.
Dec - use the bag.

Awww, you all are so sweet! Thank you!

Thread, it’s advice time! Tomorrow DH wants to do a bit of a road trip out of town and go get high quality barbecue at a small town about an hour away. I’m not into barbecue but I’m so excited for an actual outing! But what bag to wear?

Some options:
- Coach dark brown Willis - this holds the essentials and feels like a bit of a cute rustic bag that would make sense at a barbecue joint
- Tory Burch Lee Radiziwell double bag - tailored, cute and girly - plus pink so it’s in line with the red/pink theme for Feb
- Burberry cashmere plaid tote - cozy and preppy, fits given it’s still winter, and DH gave it to me for Christmas

Thoughts?
I would wear the coach. Barbecue sauce and bags makes me nervous.

My Kate Spade “perfect burgundy” tote arrived today! I know I had some hesitation and guilt when I purchased it, but I’m really happy I went for it. It is still my perfect burgundy. I adore the color as much as I remembered, and the bag is indeed as soft as I remembered. And even though it’s not literally the actual bag I bought the first time, this one still invokes all memories associated with the bag I actually bought. Unboxing it kind of felt like welcoming back an old friend.

It’s super simple, but here it is:
View attachment 5317853
I’m a horrible photographer so this doesn’t quite accurately capture the true color. I’d say it’s a bit more purple-toned than it seems here.

And, just for fun, here it is with my one other burgundy bag - the Polene Numero Un. I bought the Polene after the Kate Spade dye extravaganza because I was trying to find a new burgundy bag, and I had been admiring the Numero Un. For a second, after getting the KS tote today, I thought maybe I should get rid of the Polene because now I have two burgundy bags. But then I took this picture and was reminded of how beautiful and well-constructed the Polene is. I don’t want to get rid of the Polene even though I am trying (and failing) to downsize my collection. The shades or burgundy are different and the styles are different so I think I can justify keeping both, at least for now.
View attachment 5317857
Keep them both. I don't say that often but, in this case I think you should.

Enjoy your trip! It must be lovely to be packing even if it is making you think you need a wardrobe purge. It will be so good to get away especially after your Paris trip was cancelled. I hope you have a good time. Good luck with any clothes shopping you do. I find it helps to find one or two brands where you know what works for you but I do have big sizing issues. It’s good you can see go adjust things yourselves. I need a tailor to do it for me!

I know it’ll be a bit emotional as I try to work out which summery clothes and swim wear to take for my trip in a week’s time. Since I last went abroad, my weight has fluctuated massively. In 2020, I gave myself a health wake up call and lost a needed 35 pounds through exercise and diet. I got to a good healthy weight. Towards the end of that year, I had my trigger and the last 7 pounds were lost in an unhealthy quick obsessive way and were followed by a further 11 pounds making me a bit too thin. Getting mentally better meant letting that control relax and eating more. I bought a lot of new summery clothes last year when my weight was low but coming back up. My medication makes me hungry all the time and I’m now up the last 18 pounds I lost again. I’d ideally like to be down 7 from here as that’s where I look and feel best but it’s impossible on these meds and I have to face the fact I may gain more.

It all means I haven’t a clue what will fit me and what won’t. Some of my new summery trousers will be too tight. Fortunately, I have still have multiple sizes so there will be something. Plus my summer dresses and tops are more forgiving and will probably fit better now I’m in the middle. And swim wear is a minefield. Can a late 40s woman still wear a bikini? Not a skimpy style clearly but styles with high rise with briefs (back on that high rise subject)? I’m not daring to try on anything yet in case I jinx it and catch Covid in school next week!
I think you can wear whatever you like as long as you feel confident in it.

My Kate Spade “perfect burgundy” tote arrived today! I know I had some hesitation and guilt when I purchased it, but I’m really happy I went for it. It is still my perfect burgundy. I adore the color as much as I remembered, and the bag is indeed as soft as I remembered. And even though it’s not literally the actual bag I bought the first time, this one still invokes all memories associated with the bag I actually bought. Unboxing it kind of felt like welcoming back an old friend.

View attachment 5317853
I’m a horrible photographer so this doesn’t quite accurately capture the true color. I’d say it’s a bit more purple-toned than it seems here.

And, just for fun, here it is with my one other burgundy bag - the Polene Numero Un. I bought the Polene after the Kate Spade dye extravaganza because I was trying to find a new burgundy bag, and I had been admiring the Numero Un. For a second, after getting the KS tote today, I thought maybe I should get rid of the Polene because now I have two burgundy bags. But then I took this picture and was reminded of how beautiful and well-constructed the Polene is. I don’t want to get rid of the Polene even though I am trying (and failing) to downsize my collection. The shades or burgundy are different and the styles are different so I think I can justify keeping both, at least for now.
View attachment 5317857

Yay so happy for you that it arrived as expected and brings back all those old feelings! Your Polene is gorgeous also, and I definitely say you can keep them both. They are different styles and shades, plus the KS has the black accents so it’s multi color.

Just want to provide an update that I've REALLY enjoyed tracking my bag usage - I thought using a spreadsheet would be too much effort, but I actually find that tracking usage makes me more motivated to rotate bags and I feel so accomplished when I do. I also figured I might as well do a better job of cataloging my bags, so I now have all the details logged for each bag I own (purchase date, price, who/where I purchased it from, season, serial number, sold date/price if applicable). It's fun!

They all sound great! The Coach seems right for a barbecue. DH is into barbecue way more than I am.
The Coach bag immediately sprang to mind! Somehow that leather works with BBQ setting.
I would go with the Coach.

Love bbq so much we do it all year round!
Another vote for the Coach!
My first thought is the Coach too for all the reasons others have said. My second thought I’d take the Burberry because DH gave it to you and is taking you on an outing. You’d have to be careful not to mark it though. For me, I’d definitely want a crossbody for this kind of event. Unless it was very smart, I’d probably take one of my nylon KSs.
I would wear the coach. Barbecue sauce and bags makes me nervous.

Well, when it’s this unanimous - Coach it is!

E648B551-F4A4-4F5F-A505-57C07F4B3D42.jpeg

I love that image of the pin on a starched white collar with the sweater and everything else going on. I think my MIL mentioned that she used to wear it on the round collars of her dresses, or to pin a scarf to a sweater. I will have to photograph it for this thread. It's very sweet and pretty.

She is truly amazing at storytelling. We are always spellbound (and so are her 7 grandchildren), and we all have many pieces she has given us over the years. Her memory is incredible, as some of the pieces date back to her childhood (she is now in her 80s).
I love that all of you are spellbound by her stories… even the grandchildren. That must make her feel so good! And how wonderful that in her 80s her memories are still strong.

View attachment 5317853

View attachment 5317857
That KS is gorgeous… I definitely can see why you were excited to find it on Posh and re-purchase it. That "perfect burgundy" shade is… um… PERFECT! Totally different from the Polene, though that's a beautiful color too.

If you have space for both of them, and if one doesn't steal wears from the others, I say keep both of them for the time being. You can always downsize the Polene later if you find you never carry it.

Using Pink bag for challenge paired with pink hat. Going super causal for dog walk with friend in the pouring rain and wind! Just added waterproof coat, over trousers and walking boots!

View attachment 5318188

Pink Lucie Watson Lane KS is an ever practical pop of colour!
The bag and hat are a perfect match. But brrrrr… pouring rain??? Yikes!

Can you believe it? I actually went out somewhere proper (to visit friends} and took a red bag.

Not sure if I've captured the true dark red colour of it in this yellow electric light but couldn't wait till morning.

Gucci dark red suede and horse-bit print leather trim Dome with vintage horse-bit cotton lining (2005). I can use it over the shoulder too, but not over a coat. The only down side is if the handles drop down when stored they leave marks on the suede.

Attachments

• IMG_20220205_212942.jpg
    IMG_20220205_212942.jpg
    243.4 KB · Views: 15
Status
Not open for further replies.