2022 Resolution: Shopping my own bag and SLG collection. Anyone else?

Status
Not open for further replies.
2 Aug - brand showcase: A-F
4 Sept - brand showcase: G-L
11 Sept - brand showcase: M-R
18 Sept - brand showcase: S-Z
25 Sept - totes
2 Oct - satchels
9 Oct - crossbodies inc WOCS
16 Oct - shoulder bags
23 Oct - bucket bags
30 Oct - clutches
6 Nov - backpacks
13 Nov - bags that don’t count
20 Nov - pairing bags with shoes
27 Nov - pairing bags with other accessories
4 Dec - bag storage
11 Dec - SLGs
18 Dec - charms

Challenges:
Sept - bags in different locations
Oct - Halloween: wear orange or black bags
Nov - International Merlot Day: wear wine coloured bags or pair bags with wine.
Dec - use the bag.

So, earlier this week I was feeling super irritable. I was getting so frustrated with my daughter, as if she was purposely misbehaving to spite me. She's 9 months old - rationally I knew she wasn't doing that. She was literally just being a baby and doing what babies do. But the frustration I felt was real. And then it occurred to me that I had literally not left our tiny apartment in over a week - not even to take the trash out or walk the dog because my husband had been doing all that. On Tuesday, I finally left the apartment and took a pole class. I walked to class and got some fresh air, interacted with people who are not my husband, daughter, or dog, and got some exercise. It felt amazing. On Wednesday I went to the post office to drop off some packages. Nothing exciting, but again, I got out of the apartment for a half hour.

I never realized how important things like getting out or interacting with others are for my mental health. I'm an introvert and a homebody so I always thought staying home for days and weeks on end is just fine for me. But literally staying in the home, never leaving or interacting with another adult human that's not my husband, is not that great for me after all. I didn't find it quite so difficult when the pandemic started, but I also didn't have a baby then so my time, even indoors and socially distanced, was truly my own. A few months back I had a period of really struggling because my husband was working long hours so for 12+ hours a day, it was just me, baby, and dog with no one else to talk to or anyone to help with baby or dog or home care. That experience made me realize that interacting with another human adult actually is really important to me (and also that help with baby is so really appreciated!). This time around, my husband has been home to help so I didn't understand why I was feeling so irritable about everything. But finally getting out made me feel like a new woman. There really is something to fresh air! I do exercise everyday because I find it is really important for my mental health, but my daily workouts are indoors. I think I am going to try to incorporate a walk - even a short one - outside every few days because I think it will help. And the bonus is that it gives me an excuse to actually use a bag!

I used two new bags on my "outings" this week - my MM Tiffany Blue Hera Midi on Tuesday and my MM Purple Velvet Verona Penelope Midi on Wednesday. Using these bags was possibly just as exciting as leaving the apartment!
When my kids were small, I had to leave the house every day or I would go mad. I didn't mind taking them with me but I had to get out. I think it was good for the kids too.

OMG! I’m in love with your beautiful bag! :love:
So pretty! Makes me think of spring.
OMG… I just fainted. No getting around it, Chanel leather just GLOWS. :heart:

Awww, you all are so sweet! Thank you!

Thread, it’s advice time! Tomorrow DH wants to do a bit of a road trip out of town and go get high quality barbecue at a small town about an hour away. I’m not into barbecue but I’m so excited for an actual outing! But what bag to wear?

Some options:
- Coach dark brown Willis - this holds the essentials and feels like a bit of a cute rustic bag that would make sense at a barbecue joint
- Tory Burch Lee Radiziwell double bag - tailored, cute and girly - plus pink so it’s in line with the red/pink theme for Feb
- Burberry cashmere plaid tote - cozy and preppy, fits given it’s still winter, and DH gave it to me for Christmas

Thoughts?

Thread, it’s advice time! Tomorrow DH wants to do a bit of a road trip out of town and go get high quality barbecue at a small town about an hour away. I’m not into barbecue but I’m so excited for an actual outing! But what bag to wear?

Some options:
- Coach dark brown Willis - this holds the essentials and feels like a bit of a cute rustic bag that would make sense at a barbecue joint
- Tory Burch Lee Radiziwell double bag - tailored, cute and girly - plus pink so it’s in line with the red/pink theme for Feb
- Burberry cashmere plaid tote - cozy and preppy, fits given it’s still winter, and DH gave it to me for Christmas

Thoughts?

If you’re going for BBQ, the Coach gets my vote because stains! But maybe that’s just me…

Some options:

Thoughts?
They all sound great! The Coach seems right for a barbecue. DH is into barbecue way more than I am.

Some options:

Thoughts?

Not sure if you can access this link and if memory serves you’re also from the DC area, but The Post homepage has an article on the best BBQ joints in the area. Now I’m wondering if the one you’re going to is on this list!

I love this story about your MIL! What a special ritual she creates for all her DILs.

I remember circle pins very well; they were still in style when I was in high school (a little later than your MIL). I had one in silver, and I wish I still owned it. In my day, the pin was worn on the collar of a starched white shirt. And then a cardigan sweater worn over the shirt, and a short-ish plaid pleated skirt to complete the look. And knee socks, and penny loafers. Very preppy!
I love that image of the pin on a starched white collar with the sweater and everything else going on. I think my MIL mentioned that she used to wear it on the round collars of her dresses, or to pin a scarf to a sweater. I will have to photograph it for this thread. It's very sweet and pretty.

She is truly amazing at storytelling. We are always spellbound (and so are her 7 grandchildren), and we all have many pieces she has given us over the years. Her memory is incredible, as some of the pieces date back to her childhood (she is now in her 80s).

Some options:

Thoughts?

The Coach bag immediately sprang to mind! Somehow that leather works with BBQ setting.

Some options:

Thoughts?
I would go with the Coach.

Love bbq so much we do it all year round!

I have these denim-looking leggings:
Oh, they look so comfy! Thanks for the link!

Agreed on heel height, 3 to 3.5 is my max also. I’m somewhat of the opinion that anything higher than that is unhealthy and puts too much strain on one’s ankles, but I imagine the science would indicate that issue starts at much lower heel heights lol. I do still love heels tho and wear them to work almost every day when I’m going into the office. WFH of course is flats, and boots when winter.

I’m jealous that you find the Rockstud comfortable :smile:. The pair I had, while gorgeous, dug at my foot like crazy, everywhere the straps touched. I sold them last month. Perhaps someday I will get another pair in a slightly different style, but I don’t go to many fancy events these days and I found them too fancy for my work. My office’s policy is more or less business casual and most folks go for full on casual, so I am dressy if I’m in any sort of heel, let alone a Rockstud.

Gorgeous shoes tho, it must be said.
They have the style that's just a regular pump with the studs around the edge. I don't have a pair, but I did try them one and found them just as comfy as I find the caged heel. No straps so maybe they would be better for you! They are on my list of shoes I'd like to buy as well, but WFH does make it difficult to truly justify buying fancy heels. Though, I keep buying bags with no real place to wear them to so so maybe I should buy the shoes as well! :lol:

I know @Sparkletastic is also a fan of the Rockstud, but like you, I can’t wear them. But also like you, I sure wish I could! They are beautiful shoes. Somehow I seem to be stuck between two sizes. I have the same issue with the YSL Tribute, which I’ve also lusted after for ages. My hope is they might tweak the last some day and they’ll finally fit. A girl can dream, right? Christian Louboutin works well for me, but I’ll admit to only wearing the more basic styles and at the 85mm height (which is about 3.3”). I do have some Jimmy Choo and they also work well for me. I’m back in the office full time, but my already super casual workplace has gone more casual still because no one sees anyone unless you pass someone in the hall. I already stuck out pre-COVID in nice heels, so I don’t dare wear them at the moment…
It's so funny - I can wear multiple sizes in the Rockstuds and truly find them all comfortable. I'm a US size 6, and I wasn't quite sure what size to purchase when I first bought them (I was buying them online). The size 36, which is what I would have gone for, was sold out so I bought one pair in a 35.5 and a different color in a 36.5. To my surprise, they both we comfortable and fit! The 36.5 were obviously a bit bigger than the 35.5, but they didn't feel too big for my foot. And the 35.5, which I kind of expected would be too small and tight, felt surprisingly good. I was really critical with myself, really trying to see if I was compensating because I wanted to keep them, but I honesty found both sizes equally as comfortable. The size 36 came back in stock a few days later so I exchanged the 36.5 for the 36 and kept the 35.5 because they were a different color, but I would have been just as happy and comfortable with the 36.5 if I kept them. I've never had shoes in which I truly could wear three different sizes and find all three equally comfortable. I think it has to do with the fact that the back is open and the straps provide adjustability. Still though, the Rockstuds are like magic shoes to me!

I only have one pair of Christian Louboutin heels. They were my wedding shoes because I had always said I wanted to be married in Louboutin heels. They are gorgeous, but they don't have the comfort factor the Rockstuds do for me. After a few hours, I definitely want to take the Louboutins off, whereas the Rockstuds I could wear all day. It's so interesting how what works brilliantly form one person really doesn't for another. I guess it's a good things there are so many options available!

I thought it was just me with the high-waisted pants :wondering: .

I don't mind high-waisted dresses, but trousers (pants) and jeans are just too much (rise).
I'm with you on the dresses - I can do that! I think it's because even with a high waist, dresses usually flow rather than constrict.

Agreed on a good highest height for the day. Slightly higher is OK with a slight platform too.

What's comfortable is so odd. My 4.5" Gucci Bettys are among my most comfortable (and red!!!) heels. At the time that wasn't even high at Gucci. My (green) Dior sandals that have a wedge and not really that high kill me, I can't get rid of them though because they look great I don't have much Galliano for Dior stuff, @cowgirlsboots they'd go with a Gaucho.
I didn't realize it until you pointed it out, but yes, it is odd what is comfortable and how it's not necessarily dictated by heel height! My tallest Rockstuds are far more comfortable than some 2-3 inch heels I have.

You (and everyone else who said this) are definitely not alone! I’ve never been a big fan of high-waisted pants/jeans and hate them even more since having my daughter. Mid-rise is my favorite and I’m hopeful those return. The really low-rise ones never worked for me, not even when I was in the best shape of my life (before pregnancy destroyed my midsection!).
I feel like I've found my anti-high-waist tribe here! :lol:

Some options:

Thoughts?
Another vote for the Coach!

Also Try taking the baby out for a short walk each day as long as weather permits. It will help the baby too. Then you can drop the baby back off with Dh and take a second outing just for you. Getting my kids out even in cold air really helped them sleep better.
You know, I was thinking I should start walking with her when the weather gets warmer, but maybe I'll give it a try now and just make sure she's nice and bundled up. I am ALL for anything that will help her sleep better! :lol:

How cool that you do this!
For me, it's a sensory thing. I'm long-waisted and supposedly can wear high-waisted pants but I truly hate the feeling of almost anything on my lower stomach and constricting my waist. I will say, however, that I DID just buy a pair of NYDJ that are somewhat high-waisted (because I needed a new pair of jeans and can't find any low-rise ones anymore) and they are fairly comfy-- super soft and stretchy. Still, though, waiting it out for the next surge in fashion, which if recent history hints at anything regarding the 80s-90-s-00s repetition, will mean low-rise jeans again.

Oh, I remember this feeling so well! My firstborn cried/screamed nearly constantly from morning to night for the first 8 weeks. It was a lactation consultant who finally diagnosed the issue: Thrush, a systemic yeast infection, which is incredibly painful for babies. Once that was diagnosed and treated, he became the happiest, easiest baby. But doing those weeks of nearly non-stop crying, I thought I was going to lose my mind.

It is SO important to get away from your house, including your baby. You are not a bad mother for thinking the things you are thinking, nor are you a bad mother getting away from it all. There is so much pressure for women to feel like they have to be nurturing and selfless 24/7. We are human. We have needs and wants. We have limits. And we need balance. Doing something that is for you-- just for you-- every day is important. Also, happy mom = happy baby, I think. :love:

Someone mentioned taking the baby outside. I agree 100% with this. It was actually one of the ONLY ways we could come my baby down, and the fresh air and exercise (for me) did us both an incredible amount of good.
I definitely get the sensory things with high waist! I've been paying much closer attention to my wardrobe lately in an effort to curate and edit it, and I'm realizing just how sensitive I am to fabrics and feel. The feeling of a heavier fabric like denim on my lower stomach feels so uncomfortable and constricting to me. I can handle it with some leggings but not all. I too am waiting the next resurgence in fashion!

It is really hard for me to get away from the house and baby. Some of it is just the reality of life - my husband works in theater which means an untraditional schedule. When there are shows or TV/film shoots in his theater, it's not uncommon for him to have a several 10-12 hour days, plus it takes him at least an hour to commute in and at least another to get back home. It's just us - we don't live near family that can help - so getting way when his theater is busy just isn't going to happen. But, I'm realizing some of it is self-imposed too, and that IS something I can do something about.

It's funny - I never thought I would be a parent who feels they can't leave their baby, but here I am. I think the pandemic may have something to do with it - I'm home all the time due to WFH and just not going out much because of COVID so being home constantly with baby has just become the norm. Plus there's the fact that I'm still breastfeeding. She's not exclusively breastfed, but I hate pumping with such a passion that I only do it when I have to (like if I have to get a sitter because I need to go into the office) and our freezer stash is designated for emergencies only. So, if I go out without her, I feel like I have to rush home to feed her. And then there's the whole default parent thing. My husband is wonderful, very involved with the baby and does absolutely everything he can, but the fact that I'm her primary source of nutrition and the one who's around all the time due to his hours, I'm the default parent, and thus, I feel like I need to be home and "momming" all the time.

HOWEVER, all of that doesn't mean that I actually do have to stay home all the time. I can go out and take some alone time for myself, and I SHOULD. My pole classes are an oasis for me since becoming a mom, and my husband is so great at encouraging me to take class whenever I can - I thought that was enough time to take for myself. But between the studio's class schedule and my husband's work schedule, I'm lucky if I get to class just once a week. I'm realizing once a week, or less, out of the apartment is not enough. I'm really going to try to be more cognizant of it and make the effort to get out more.

Also, thank you for reinforcing the fact that thinking/feeling these things don't make me a bad mom. I know that, of course, but sometimes it does feel like I'm the only one who feels this way, and I must be horrible as a result. The pressure is real, and it always seems like everyone else is just nailing the mom life and taking it all in stride. A month or so after I had her, I remember just sobbing to my husband about how hard it all was and how I felt like I was failing and how it seems like no one else finds it so hard. And then I posted about it a little bit on FB and basically asked, am I only one? The number of women who came out of the woodwork - some that I hadn't spoken to in years or that I was never close with in the first place - was incredible. It made me feel so much better to see that I'm not alone but also really highlighted for me how strong the pressure is to be the "perfect" mom and how we just don't talk about these things enough.

I am in agreement with what others have said. However much of an introvert you feel you are, humans are basic socially beings and we need other people in our lives. I too found my babies both wonderful and highly frustrating at times. There is no reasoning or compromise with a baby. Toddlers were equally frustrating to me. It gets easier I think, although teenagers come with their own complexities! :lol:

Definitely set a goal to get out the house every day, even just for a walk, and if possible carve out a tiny bit of “me” time. You’ll feel all the better for it if you can make it work. Perhaps catch up with a friend once in a while if you can. Sometimes I don’t feel like going out because I’m so tired but when I get there I have a good time so I know I need to force myself!
Lol, I'm not sure if I'm dreading or looking forward to the toddler stage! Part of me thinks it'll be so nice when she can walk and talk and the other part of me think oh no, she's going to be able to walk (away and get into everything!) and talk (and argue and say no to everything!). :lol:

I'm definitely going to try to make it a priority, or at least more of a priority, to get out more often. I can see what a difference it made for me and my state of mind so I think it's important. I'm prone to becoming too comfortable (and, let's be honest - lazy) so it can feel like unnecessary effort to leave the house for no real reason like errand or work, etc. But, I think it will be one of those things that I'll be glad I did once I do it.

I think you had a really great insight, and I'm so glad for you. :smile:

Like you, I'm basically an introvert and a homebody, so at the beginning of the pandemic I figured it would be fine to just hang out at home. But I hadn't realized how bad that was for my mental health. Even just interactions with someone at the grocery store (which I couldn't go to… I was having groceries delivered) or the bank (bank was closed… I was doing all transactions on line) would have made a difference. So Mr. PG and I started making it a point to take walks, either in the neighborhood or along the bay.

I didn't have your insight to use a bag, though. That would have been a good idea!

This year I'm challenging myself to carry a nice bag every day, even if I'm just out for 15 minutes wither on a walk or on an errand. And you're absolutely right: it's a spirit-lifter!
Yes, I didn't realize how even the small interactions make such a difference! I love my husband dearly, but it is nice to say hello to someone that isn't him. :lol:

When I'm home alone all day and I have to take the dog on a walk, I don't carry a bag because I have the dog and I'm baby-wearing baby girl - I'll just stick my keys in my pocket then. But it was really nice to carry a nice bag even just to the post office. It feels a bit silly, but I'm going to take these opportunities to use my bags, even if all I'm doing is going for a walk or running boring errands. Sure, I can just stick my keys in my pocket for those things too, but what's the fun in that? It also give me an opportunity to actually rotate and use my plethora of bags, even if it just a quick outing. :smile:

My Kate Spade “perfect burgundy” tote arrived today! I know I had some hesitation and guilt when I purchased it, but I’m really happy I went for it. It is still my perfect burgundy. I adore the color as much as I remembered, and the bag is indeed as soft as I remembered. And even though it’s not literally the actual bag I bought the first time, this one still invokes all memories associated with the bag I actually bought. Unboxing it kind of felt like welcoming back an old friend.

It’s super simple, but here it is:
6CF7C01F-0972-408F-805F-885A39F0B603.jpeg
I’m a horrible photographer so this doesn’t quite accurately capture the true color. I’d say it’s a bit more purple-toned than it seems here.

And, just for fun, here it is with my one other burgundy bag - the Polene Numero Un. I bought the Polene after the Kate Spade dye extravaganza because I was trying to find a new burgundy bag, and I had been admiring the Numero Un. For a second, after getting the KS tote today, I thought maybe I should get rid of the Polene because now I have two burgundy bags. But then I took this picture and was reminded of how beautiful and well-constructed the Polene is. I don’t want to get rid of the Polene even though I am trying (and failing) to downsize my collection. The shades or burgundy are different and the styles are different so I think I can justify keeping both, at least for now.
9F0E47EE-FBCA-41AE-96FD-DD0295D0E245.jpeg

Also, thank you for reinforcing the fact that thinking/feeling these things don't make me a bad mom. I know that, of course, but sometimes it does feel like I'm the only one who feels this way, and I must be horrible as a result. The pressure is real, and it always seems like everyone else is just nailing the mom life and taking it all in stride. A month or so after I had her, I remember just sobbing to my husband about how hard it all was and how I felt like I was failing and how it seems like no one else finds it so hard. And then I posted about it a little bit on FB and basically asked, am I only one? The number of women who came out of the woodwork - some that I hadn't spoken to in years or that I was never close with in the first place - was incredible. It made me feel so much better to see that I'm not alone but also really highlighted for me how strong the pressure is to be the "perfect" mom and how we just don't talk about these things enough.

IMHO, one of the biggest problems with social media is that it encourages people to project a perfect life when, in fact, life is rarely perfect. There has been a lot of talk lately about how Instagram, in particular, is devastating to the psyche of teenage girls for exactly this reason. I’m glad you you were open and honest about where you were struggling and that others opened up to you about this, too. Mom life is HARD, especially the baby years as you adjust to being a parent and being needed all the time.

My Kate Spade “perfect burgundy” tote arrived today! I know I had some hesitation and guilt when I purchased it, but I’m really happy I went for it. It is still my perfect burgundy. I adore the color as much as I remembered, and the bag is indeed as soft as I remembered. And even though it’s not literally the actual bag I bought the first time, this one still invokes all memories associated with the bag I actually bought. Unboxing it kind of felt like welcoming back an old friend.

It’s super simple, but here it is:
View attachment 5317853
I’m a horrible photographer so this doesn’t quite accurately capture the true color. I’d say it’s a bit more purple-toned than it seems here.

And, just for fun, here it is with my one other burgundy bag - the Polene Numero Un. I bought the Polene after the Kate Spade dye extravaganza because I was trying to find a new burgundy bag, and I had been admiring the Numero Un. For a second, after getting the KS tote today, I thought maybe I should get rid of the Polene because now I have two burgundy bags. But then I took this picture and was reminded of how beautiful and well-constructed the Polene is. I don’t want to get rid of the Polene even though I am trying (and failing) to downsize my collection. The shades or burgundy are different and the styles are different so I think I can justify keeping both, at least for now.
View attachment 5317857
These are both lovely bags! I like the size and the contrasting leather details of the KS (and the colour). The Polene (I know nothing about that brand so looked it up and they do very attractive styles!) is a wonderful shape, and looks like it carries completely differently. Top handle is very elegant even for a day bag and crossbody too.

Shoulder carrying the KS is maybe less easy with baby and dog in tow but still useful for your classes? Pole class, is that what I think it is - sounds incredible! The Polene would hang on a buggy if it is crossbody. That’s how I carried my bags when I had babies. 2 babies in 20 months - needed to be hands free. Do you use a buggy/pram?

I’d keep both. You love the shade and they are different enough to be useful. I have 4 of each in black bags, blue bags and pink bags. They are all completely different styles (and some different shades in the blues and pinks). I see a purpose for them all. But then we do collect bags!

Some options:

Thoughts?
My first thought is the Coach too for all the reasons others have said. My second thought I’d take the Burberry because DH gave it to you and is taking you on an outing. You’d have to be careful not to mark it though. For me, I’d definitely want a crossbody for this kind of event. Unless it was very smart, I’d probably take one of my nylon KSs.

Last edited:
We are going on a mini holiday visiting family in "civilisation" tomorrow. Today I had to pack and got very frustrated. While my wardrobe is overflowing with quirky vintage all my basics and "civilisation pieces" (My older children hate me turning up in hardcore vintage) are ready for the bin.... I need to do a hefty purge and find replacements! Only my jeans and a couple of leggings I bought this winter are ok. My good black tops and sweaters (my brain still thinks they are good, but I´ve been having most of them for a decade or even longer...) need replacing, my favourite belt is a mess and my "loungewear" shouts: "throw mw out!". Argh!!!!!
Hopefully I will get a chance to hit the shops there. Buying tops online is so complicated. While I can buy vintage without even asking for measurements and then alter to fit me if necessary recent basics are a challenge!
Enjoy your trip! It must be lovely to be packing even if it is making you think you need a wardrobe purge. It will be so good to get away especially after your Paris trip was cancelled. I hope you have a good time. Good luck with any clothes shopping you do. I find it helps to find one or two brands where you know what works for you but I do have big sizing issues. It’s good you can see go adjust things yourselves. I need a tailor to do it for me!

I know it’ll be a bit emotional as I try to work out which summery clothes and swim wear to take for my trip in a week’s time. Since I last went abroad, my weight has fluctuated massively. In 2020, I gave myself a health wake up call and lost a needed 35 pounds through exercise and diet. I got to a good healthy weight. Towards the end of that year, I had my trigger and the last 7 pounds were lost in an unhealthy quick obsessive way and were followed by a further 11 pounds making me a bit too thin. Getting mentally better meant letting that control relax and eating more. I bought a lot of new summery clothes last year when my weight was low but coming back up. My medication makes me hungry all the time and I’m now up the last 18 pounds I lost again. I’d ideally like to be down 7 from here as that’s where I look and feel best but it’s impossible on these meds and I have to face the fact I may gain more.

It all means I haven’t a clue what will fit me and what won’t. Some of my new summery trousers will be too tight. Fortunately, I have still have multiple sizes so there will be something. Plus my summer dresses and tops are more forgiving and will probably fit better now I’m in the middle. And swim wear is a minefield. Can a late 40s woman still wear a bikini? Not a skimpy style clearly but styles with high rise waist briefs (back on that high rise subject)? I’m not daring to try on anything yet in case I jinx it and catch Covid in school next week!

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.