2021 Resolution: Shopping my own bag and SLG collection. Any one else?

NOVEMBER ACTIVITIES

1. Bags by Brand Showcase!

Each week, share photos of your bags from the specified brands. Choose a posed “beauty” shot or get your bags out and about in action shots!

We highlight 3 brands per week: 2 premier and 1 contemporary in alphabetical order as listed on tPF. Any brands not listed are showcased in our last week. Brands change to the next set each Sunday.

Our first brand week starts now - Sunday, Oct 31. Please share photos of bags from these brands:
  • Bottega Venetta
  • Burberry
  • Alexander Wang

Tip: Grab your photos from last year in the 2020 resolution thread. Search your user name and the brand to find your photos.

2. Special Stories
Thanks @Claudia Herzog for the suggestion

Wear a bag that has a backstory involving a person, place, or opportunity for which you feel grateful.

Last edited by a moderator:
I had ordered this distressed looking mini Crossbody. Generally I think any one can wear anything but wondering if it looks to young. Thought it would work for outdoor things where my other bags could get scratched or damaged. Thoughts? I know my daughter would hate it and it is different from anything I have. But I kind of like it , just not sure.

8862759E-0313-466B-B6D0-D33914D64CD1.jpeg

Last edited:
I had ordered this distressed looking mini Crossbody. Generally I think any one can wear anything but wondering if it looks to young. Thought it would work for outdoor things where my other bags could get scratched or damaged. Thoughts? I know my daughter would hate it and it is different from anything I have. But I kind of like it , just not sure.

View attachment 5076433

You mention that it's different from anything else you own. So I'd consider if that means you're filling a hole in your collection, and trying something new; or are there good reasons you don't already have anything like it in your collection? Did you once own something like it, and get rid of that purse? You definitely wouldn't have to worry about it getting scratched or damaged. But if you only kind of like it, rather than love it, I'd say return it.

You mention that it's different from anything else you own. So I'd consider if that means you're filling a hole in your collection, and trying something new; or are there good reasons you don't already have anything like it in your collection? Did you once own something like it, and get rid of that purse? You definitely wouldn't have to worry about it getting scratched or damaged. But if you only kind of like it, rather than love it, I'd say return it.
These are good questions to ponder. The style of bag I have quite a few and they are my most worn bags. I have never had a distressed looking bag before. I think because I know my daughter will hate it that I am second guessing myself. My husband said he liked it and I should keep it. I found straps I had that could give it different looks. I will give it some more thought.83177DB0-3D56-4442-A268-1C3F006FAC52.jpeg

These are good questions to ponder. The style of bag I have quite a few and they are my most worn bags. I have never had a distressed looking bag before. I think because I know my daughter will hate it that I am second guessing myself. My husband said he liked it and I should keep it. I found straps I had that could give it different looks. I will give it some more thought.View attachment 5076481

Your husband votes Yes, your daughter votes No, so they cancel each other out. To be blunt: It's your bag, not your daughter's.

Do you have any distressed furniture, or distressed leather jackets or belts? That might help decide if you'll be happy with a distressed bag.

So sorry to hear. So sad.
+1. So sorry to hear about your fur baby. It’s so hard.
These are good questions to ponder. The style of bag I have quite a few and they are my most worn bags. I have never had a distressed looking bag before. I think because I know my daughter will hate it that I am second guessing myself. My husband said he liked it and I should keep it. I found straps I had that could give it different looks. I will give it some more thought.View attachment 5076481
I rather like it, and I like the guitar straps as well. If it wasn't too expensive, maybe give it a try. Especially as it's one of your favorite styles. Always good to have a beater bag.

Reactions: dcooney4
+1. So sorry to hear about your fur baby. It’s so hard.

I rather like it, and I like the guitar straps as well. If it wasn't too expensive, maybe give it a try. Especially as it's one of your favorite styles. Always good to have a beater bag.
I do too. I just didn’t want to hear my dd’s comments when she comes to visit. I decided I just won’t wear it around her. I am going to lay out some clothes and style it tomorrow. Then if it goes with enough stuff I will keep it. When I ordered it I also ordered a cooler strap that is less busy for it in a lighter color for summer. The strap has not arrived yet though.

I do too. I just didn’t want to hear my dd’s comments when she comes to visit. I decided I just won’t wear it around her. I am going to lay out some clothes and style it tomorrow. Then if it goes with enough stuff I will keep it. When I ordered it I also ordered a cooler strap that is less busy for it in a lighter color for summer. The strap has not arrived yet though.
I'm sorry you have to avoid wearing it around your dd to avoid negative comments. That shouldn't spoil your enjoyment of your bag.

It reminds me of the time I shared one of my favorite movies with my MIL. She didn't like it which I then thought of every time I watched it again.

This is not a sentence that indicates that this bag sparks joy for you. Return!
I have to always remember this Kondo “spark joy” maxim. Off topic, but I’ve been struggling with my haircut and have already gone back once for a “fix”. I’ve been dilly dallying trying to style it and have been wearing it in a ponytail, which I usually do when it’s getting unmanageable blah blah..ugh if I’m honest, not only does my hair not spark joy, I hate it. Decided. I’m scheduling an appointment for a cut today.

In other news, I’ve had an aha moment on my scarf obsession; It is just too warm to wear the 90’s. I can really only wear them 2-3 months out of the year. Sigh. I’m just not going to buy anymore (even though I’m eyeing the last neutral red cosmographia universalis on h.com) I never got the Kawa ora and still pine for it. I have issues and I’m rambling. Seriously though, I realize that for day to day, I actually find more useful, the gavroches worn like a loose necklace to add color to my neutral tops.

Which brings me to another revelation...pendants longer than 24” annoy me. I like the look but they bang into things when you lean over. I’ve been wearing larger pendants on shorter chains and it has been a real game changer. Really like the exaggerated proportions..who knew?