2014 resolution - shopping from my own bag and wallet collection. Any one else?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am out on my own today, running errands and took out nice summer bag which I bought 2 years ago but never used (shame, I know). It is Burberry Barlow (?) hobo.View attachment 2666186
What a great looking bag! It's great to see it in the mix.

I have to throw myself on the mercy of the court and admit that I finally gave into the June sales. I think that my self-control just gave out, but I'm pretty happy about the deal I got. I had loved the Black Nylon Kate Spade Maryanne that eehlers had gotten a while ago, but had not found a black one for myself at a price that I wanted to pay. But, this morning, I discovered that Kate Spade online had the Black Nylon Maryanne at half off plus an additional 25 percent off of the sale price and free shipping ... and I gave in. So, for about $81 (after tax), the KS Black Nylon Maryanne is coming my way.

I have a Black Nylon Messenger from KS that I've had for at least 10 years and it has held up really well, so I'm excited to get another nylon piece that I hope will hold up just as well. I think that it will be a nice black bag for the hot days of summer when I don't want to carry leather and I really like all of the pockets and organization in the bag.

Now, my goal is just to resist any more sales, especially over the 4th of July weekend.
Such a great deal, congrats!!

My mom is not into anything expensive but that is also a reflection of the times they grew up in (depression). I only started premier bags within the past four years. When I was your age, designer items never even hit my radar. When my kids were young, I didn't really have much me time and, of course technology was different, and I was less enabled. I really admire how all the ladies on this thread are so put together and smart. Love how we are all learning from each other.

As long as you love your bag, it's all good!

I didn't start buying designers until I started working. And I started with Coach full prices (then with pce after that) and I was content for awhile until I graduated and started working full time. Then it went crazy and out of hand then.

But I'm surprised with the people my age who were always surrounded by designer goods. Most of them don't value the item itself, it's just a status symbol to them. In hs, there were groups of really rich kids who flaunted their stuff but I didn't care and know what the big fuss was about then. But now that I am into designers and brands, I'm still careful in choosing "the right" item, hence my pondering in the whole icon, who did it first thing or is known for it. To me, I want to work on buying once and that's it. I want more, naturally, but my goal isn't to have every single item that a designer comes out with. This is a great contrast from my peers who don't care what the brand is known for, they want the latest and greatest because that's just what they're used to.

I supposed that's what I've learned. Lol. Just try to buy once, and I don't have to keep up with these people. My parents certainly never had the issue of "wants" this bad.

Tuuli - we all fall but I figure if it's a bag that can be a place of use that you've been looking for than why not. Spoken from a person who not only fell off the wagon but knocked it over and proceeded to slash the tires of it this month alone! Lol

Bake - I think every brand has their iconic bag that if someone sees it they know exactly who made it. For instance, you put a borough, a stam, and a speedy on the table, most of us would know who is who. Those are their staple bags (at least of the moment). It's the bag as a whole rather than the parts of it that make it iconic. As for what I buy, I try to stick to iconic for premiere and fun and solid bags from contemporary. I'm not very trendy when it comes to bags, I leave that to my clothes (it's much cheaper and more noticeable). With all this said, I'm always using two bags, my coach duffle for everyday run around (a bag I don't feel guilty with if I'm in running capris and a tank -like today) and my "after hours" bag that is used when kids aren't around (aka a bag that won't have crayons, toys and a snack box in).

Tuuli - we all fall but I figure if it's a bag that can be a place of use that you've been looking for than why not. Spoken from a person who not only fell off the wagon but knocked it over and proceeded to slash the tires of it this month alone! Lol

Bake - I think every brand has their iconic bag that if someone sees it they know exactly who made it. For instance, you put a borough, a stam, and a speedy on the table, most of us would know who is who. Those are their staple bags (at least of the moment). It's the bag as a whole rather than the parts of it that make it iconic. As for what I buy, I try to stick to iconic for premiere and fun and solid bags from contemporary. I'm not very trendy when it comes to bags, I leave that to my clothes (it's much cheaper and more noticeable). With all this said, I'm always using two bags, my coach duffle for everyday run around (a bag I don't feel guilty with if I'm in running capris and a tank -like today) and my "after hours" bag that is used when kids aren't around (aka a bag that won't have crayons, toys and a snack box in).

True. I guess I'm a little in between the premier brands with their icons and contemporary with their offerings and their versions of premier brand icons..

Tomorrow is pay day.

It's taking a lot of effort to not convince myself I have to go to Nordstrom Rack on the way home today. Or tomorrow.

I have to throw myself on the mercy of the court and admit that I finally gave into the June sales. I think that my self-control just gave out, but I'm pretty happy about the deal I got. I had loved the Black Nylon Kate Spade Maryanne that eehlers had gotten a while ago, but had not found a black one for myself at a price that I wanted to pay. But, this morning, I discovered that Kate Spade online had the Black Nylon Maryanne at half off plus an additional 25 percent off of the sale price and free shipping ... and I gave in. So, for about $81 (after tax), the KS Black Nylon Maryanne is coming my way.

I have a Black Nylon Messenger from KS that I've had for at least 10 years and it has held up really well, so I'm excited to get another nylon piece that I hope will hold up just as well. I think that it will be a nice black bag for the hot days of summer when I don't want to carry leather and I really like all of the pockets and organization in the bag.

Now, my goal is just to resist any more sales, especially over the 4th of July weekend.

Holy cow! You got a ridiculously awesome deal! Waaaaaay better than mine. I hope you love it...can't wait to hear what you think! It is an awesomely organized, yet worry-free bag.

I think I always just buy what I like rather then what is popular. For things that are pricier such
As LV I had always bought what I think I could wear now and in thirty years. I have sold many of my bags but never an LV . I guess tastes can change but so far I have kept them all. I think at that price point I am less likely to take a chance on not liking it .

These are so pretty shoes, I admire them so much :smile:

Thank you all! It is very pretty bag and I was kind of sad that had neglected it so long but I know exactly why I did. I bought it shortly before my youngest was born and this is not a mommy bag. :smile:

I was very bad last week. First bought something from Hayden Harnett sample sale and then from MJ sale. I am really happy with my purchases but now feel the need to purge too. Some time ago I looked at my bags and could not find any which could go but now I have already gotten rid some and there are few more which could be sold. Only bad thing is that EBay seems to be extremely slow wright now. Wish me luck :biggrin:

Thank you for such a nice compliment. I think many of us have fallen off the wagon during sale season in one way or another. It sounds like you got some nice items. Can't wait to see and good luck in your continued selling. I so admire all of you that can sell things that don't work. I am such a hoarder.

Hi everyone,
I've been busy lately so haven't followed the thread. And this thread goes fast!
From what I've seen - beautiful bags everyone!:drool:
And as like some of you I gave in to June sales. I've been so good 'till this point, nothing really tickled my fancy and then here I am with 2 new bags, a wallet and a keyring.
There were also Charlotte Olympia Kitty flats but unfortunately these had to go back and I'm so heartbroken.
But my new goodies cheer me up, well I have received only 1 bag so far (Anya Hindmarch Carker:loveeyes:), the rest are on the way.
Will post a pic of my new bag tomorrow of the weather is good.

What a great looking bag! It's great to see it in the mix.

Such a great deal, congrats!!
Thank you!

You are so kind! I really like how you divide bags to every day and after hours ones :smile: One of my new ones is new mommy bag, it is bright red and can be used either as cross body or shoulder bag: http://www.haydenharnett.com/product.html?style=CONRADSHLDMAA
Will move in later.

True. I guess I'm a little in between the premier brands with their icons and contemporary with their offerings and their versions of premier brand icons..

Tomorrow is pay day.

It's taking a lot of effort to not convince myself I have to go to Nordstrom Rack on the way home today. Or tomorrow.
Stay strong! You can do it! :smile:

Thank you for such a nice compliment. I think many of us have fallen off the wagon during sale season in one way or another. It sounds like you got some nice items. Can't wait to see and good luck in your continued selling. I so admire all of you that can sell things that don't work. I am such a hoarder.
Thank you, I think I did :smile: but it is this quilts feeling after the purchase, you know. :smile: I actually have hard times to let go of things too but I have gotten better. The trick for me is not to overdo it. As long as I am not 100% sure that I cant let something go, I don't, as I will miss it and other way around, as soon as I get a feeling that one or another bag could go, I should react on it.

Hi everyone,
I've been busy lately so haven't followed the thread. And this thread goes fast!
And as like some of you I gave in to June sales. I've been so good 'till this point, nothing really tickled my fancy and then here I am with 2 new bags, a wallet and a keyring.
There were also Charlotte Olympia Kitty flats but unfortunately these had to go back and I'm so heartbroken.
But my new goodies cheer me up, well I have received only 1 bag so far (Anya Hindmarch Carker:loveeyes:), the rest are on the way.
Welcome back!

I was very bad last week. First bought something from Hayden Harnett sample sale and then from MJ sale. I am really happy with my purchases but now feel the need to purge too. Some time ago I looked at my bags and could not find any which could go but now I have already gotten rid some and there are few more which could be sold. Only bad thing is that EBay seems to be extremely slow wright now. Wish me luck :biggrin:

Good luck!!

But even though it's not the original, it's still iconic. And that influences purchases.

I guess what I'm getting at is, they may not be the first to use a certain style/lock/design feature, but how does one brand get to be seen as "iconic" and one brand seen as "copying." And I supposed there's differences in, for example, turnlocks. I don't think one brand can exclusively say the turnlock mechanism is theirs, but their style of turnlock, they can.

Because when shopping, I always think of a certain style associated with a brand. But recent emails try to point out why their brand is more special and what not, and Coach's email pointed out their turn lock.

I think that's why I'm hung up on turn locks. So many brands have it, is their specific style what makes them special? But so many others use a turnlock that looks almost exact.

Kate Spade turnlocks look like Mulberry turnlocks. Every brand has a quilted bag of some sort like Chanel. Michael Kors is doing the studded thing that MCM has been doing.

So how would you choose between "like" styles?

For me, I choose the style that I like the best between the "like" styles. I pick whichever bag fits my lifestyle the best and happens to be within my budget. I want to be strong and save up for the bag that I really want sometimes, but when I know that, unless I win the lottery (and I would have to play first), I will never be able to purchase such a bag, then I find the most similar bag that I like and be content with that.

Holy cow! You got a ridiculously awesome deal! Waaaaaay better than mine. I hope you love it...can't wait to hear what you think! It is an awesomely organized, yet worry-free bag.

Thanks! Your pics totally sold this bag to me!

I think it is very interesting to observe what bags are reaching the iconic status. What do you think which ones of the current popular ones are going to be the same list as Chanel flap and LV Speedy, to name few, let's say in 25 years?

I think it is very interesting to observe what bags are reaching the iconic status. What do you think which ones of the current popular ones are going to be the same list as Chanel flap and LV Speedy, to name few, let's say in 25 years?

Good question. I always figured MJ it was the stam and then he upped and discontinued it. Go figure.

Hi everyone,
Oooh, can't wait to see your new purchases!

I have my "go-to" brands for certain parts of my life (i.e.Coach for everyday/work, and Gucci for more special occasions) but in addition to liking a bag, I usually buy ones that I hope will satisfy my tastes and suit my style for years to come. If I am eyeing a more pricier designer, I try to choose something I will love forever, isn't trendy, but also in a design that not many people carry - of course there are some styles that are just so awesome that I will get anyway haha (i.e. Bostons), but I try.

Good question. I always figured MJ it was the stam and then he upped and discontinued it. Go figure.

Thought that too!

Now I'm not sure what icon would be for MJ.

Though burberry I associate with their orchard bag, or their check tote. That style tote is more square, which to me is more burberry.

Coach has the borough bag, if they don't discontinue it. And their classic bags, what the legacy line was based off of.

Valentino, right now I see the rock stud as their icon, but people say it's a trend?

Status
Not open for further replies.