2007 price increases

The Euro as of yesterday was 74.98 against the dollar. Whatever the dollar rate you must divide against the euro. The Euro was as low as .71 against the dollar a few weeks ago, 74.98 when you are spending a large amount of Euro makes a big difference when you are changing dollars to Euro. The Euro to dollar rates changes every day. Also, as of January 1, the tax here has increased from 16% to 19%. This makes everything so much more expensive. I agree, I do believe that Chanel wants to change the image of who carries their label. A lot of my friends here really believe that Chanel is loosing it's exclusive status and now only will purchase Hermes. Prehaps, this might be true. With this sort of price increase, these bags will indeed outprice themselves for many people.

I do believe that Chanel wants to change the image of who carries their label. A lot of my friends here really believe that Chanel is loosing it's exclusive status and now only will purchase Hermes. Prehaps, this might be true. With this sort of price increase, these bags will indeed outprice themselves for many people.
That makes sense, now that I think about it.

I am seeing lots of people carrying Chanel, even teenagers (although it looks fabulous on the teenagers out there!), and I wonder if Chanel is starting to realize that the label is becoming common. Adding to the retail price will make it more difficult for just anyone to purchase a bag.

Let's just hope they increase their craftsmanship and quality control along with the prices... ;)

What I heard was that the timeless bags - classic flap and timeless tote, were increasing to match the price in Europe. So for example the Jumbo Lambskin Classic Flap will go from $1,850 to about $2,250. So I was told it was just the timeless collection. Although, as I noted before the reissues already increased significantly for Cruise.

This may explain why when I went into Venice store the east west bag costed a lot more than the equivalent of US!!! It was over 1100/1200 euro while you pay it 1000 and few dollars!

The Euro as of yesterday was 74.98 against the dollar. Whatever the dollar rate you must divide against the euro. The Euro was as low as .71 against the dollar a few weeks ago, 74.98 when you are spending a large amount of Euro makes a big difference when you are changing dollars to Euro. The Euro to dollar rates changes every day. Also, as of January 1, the tax here has increased from 16% to 19%. This makes everything so much more expensive. I agree, I do believe that Chanel wants to change the image of who carries their label. A lot of my friends here really believe that Chanel is loosing it's exclusive status and now only will purchase Hermes. Prehaps, this might be true. With this sort of price increase, these bags will indeed outprice themselves for many people.[/quote]
Yes, that's was I had in my mind in the beginnig of the post! I think many of their customers don't like LV logo for example and that kind of customer prefer, i.e., Hermes. AS too many people is starting to have chanel fake or real no matter, they would like to make it more difficult to have a original one so the very rich people (those who can spend a lot and when I say lot I mean really a lot!) will start to buy again - I hope it makes sense in english?!

This may explain why when I went into Venice store the east west bag costed a lot more than the equivalent of US!!! It was over 1100/1200 euro while you pay it 1000 and few dollars!
Alice, Americans may complain about prices, but everything is cheaper in the U.S.!! :smile: Everything! Even Toronto based MAC cosmetics (which are made here in Canada) are cheaper in the States. Oil and gas prices are cheaper in the States, and an awful lot of it comes from here (or Alberta to be more precise.)

I'm going off on a tangent, but everything is cheaper in the States. :shrugs: And I'm jealous! :smile:

Does anyone has any experience with the difference between Chanel price tag and price in database system? I paid $665 for a lambskin wallet, but on the price tag, it's $650. I asked if the price has gone up, but my SA said he has no clue about it. He just goes by the price in database system.

eek, did it happen recently? the price increase is starting already? gosh, think i need to put LV fund on Chanel first....

Yes, it happened just last week. I also called a few boutiques to check the price of my wallet, and they all gave me the same quote. So my wallet price has gone up $15 more. I'm not sure about other items though.

Alice, Americans may complain about prices, but everything is cheaper in the U.S.!! :smile: Everything! Even Toronto based MAC cosmetics (which are made here in Canada) are cheaper in the States. Oil and gas prices are cheaper in the States, and an awful lot of it comes from here (or Alberta to be more precise.)

I'm going off on a tangent, but everything is cheaper in the States. :shrugs: And I'm jealous! :smile:

I agree! Did you know that Ralph Lauren costs twice here in Italy? I can understand some extra costs to import it but... twice! And then because of the euro here in Italy the prices increased so much! We used to have lire. When euro is 1 it's 1936,27 lire. Well, the shops considered 1000 lire = 1 euro in most cases and if something was 5.000 became 5 euro and so on.
Before euro I paid 2.500 lire for a sandwich, now it's 3,50 euro (that is 7.000 lire)!!!!
Back to the topic, I was very surprised when I saw that Chanel price in the boutique because I thought prices were higher in the USA but I was wrong!

I agree! Did you know that Ralph Lauren costs twice here in Italy? I can understand some extra costs to import it but... twice! And then because of the euro here in Italy the prices increased so much! We used to have lire. When euro is 1 it's 1936,27 lire. Well, the shops considered 1000 lire = 1 euro in most cases and if something was 5.000 became 5 euro and so on.
Before euro I paid 2.500 lire for a sandwich, now it's 3,50 euro (that is 7.000 lire)!!!!
Back to the topic, I was very surprised when I saw that Chanel price in the boutique because I thought prices were higher in the USA but I was wrong!

Chanel, Ralph Lauren, Tiffany & Co. and so on are cheaper in USA, a lot cheaper then here in Europe. Louis Vuitton is one of the designer that you can count on one hand, that are cheaper in Europe:yes:
a 18% increase would be very hard:sad: