1st Birkin: Shld it be black or colored?

I am one of those people that started out with a pop of color and then worked my way over to a black with ghw Birkin after a few years and 6 other bags! I think black is always safe and classic, but Hermes has so many beautiful colors, I couldn't resist! By the way, I still have my colorful bags and still love them even though the colors are now rested.

My favorite SM always says that the black B is an H collector's first or last birkin. You need one in your collection.

I have to agree with your SM. You can dress up or down a black birkin by your clothing. It can pop against a camel hair coat or be monochromatic against an all black outfit. I find it versatile. But that is my humble opinion.:flowers:

COLOR COLOR COLOR hermes does color sooooo beautifully its best to buy a more unique perhaps rare shade as oposed to a color that many brands such as chanel..... or others can do so well belive me my firts B was black love it but..... in retrospect color is a smarter choice !
I totally agree, I want my first B to be Vert Anis or any shade of pink/ purple.:love: I love GHW so much more than PHW. The only neutral color I would go for is Gold, Black is too boring.

I love basic classic colors but for me, black birkins looks a bit harsh in the summer months with all the light clothings, when I was offered a graphite with SHW as first birkin, I took it. Black with GHW is such a classic combo, you can't go wrong!

IFFAH said:
You can't go wrong with both and if money is an issue, get the one you love most.:yes: Black w/GHW is hard to locate, even more than any other colored Bs. Either you order, or happen to be lucky to be offered and lastly, preloved.:smile:

E black w ghw is from a reseller. It's almost impossible to get ready stock in singapore. Even e waiting list is closed 

Julide said:
I have to agree with your SM. You can dress up or down a black birkin by your clothing. It can pop against a camel hair coat or be monochromatic against an all black outfit. I find it versatile. But that is my humble opinion.:flowers:

Appreciate yr advice. Tats wat I think too. A black is a must in every girls bag collection. Versatile is key 

julietta_jolie said:
I totally agree, I want my first B to be Vert Anis or any shade of pink/ purple.:love: I love GHW so much more than PHW. The only neutral color I would go for is Gold, Black is too boring.

Pink or purple is nice. There r a few variation of e colors rite?

hermesmonkey said:
Blue jean is a casual color but remember a birkin is a tote

What do you mean dress up? What size are you considering? I have to wear suits so that is my normal garb which I still consider "dressing up" since I really just want to live in t shirts! Any size birkin can work with suits. If ou are thinking dress up with a pretty dress, it all depends. The birkin in reality is a casual tote unless in a 25 cm.

I'm thinking of a B35. Dressing up means having a smart look or able to use it for more formal functions. And yes, I agree Tat blue Jean is a casual color tsp can't be used for formal functions. Or maybe I'm too restrictive in my perspective.

fanelchan said:
I actually will also buy now my first Birkin, I order a GOLD GHW 35B. I think it is a very classy colour and also timeless. However do I also adore the red ones. Red will definetely be my next B. Specially when you have various of other Black bags, I would not go for a Black one. This is somehow boring. Better to go for red, gold or etoupe. These are my 3 favourite colours !

Did u order yr bag from e boutique? It's impossible to even get on e wait list in Singapore. So sad

mea_culpa said:
it really depends on your lifestyle, wardrobe, personal taste and a host of other things. i have always favored black bags, red or purple tone bags but lately, i have been looking at bright colors. my most recent acquisition was a rose jaipur lindy. never in a million years did i ever think that i was ever going to choose a "peach" color bag. i am even seriously considering green and blue. i still have my noir bags and find that i use them when there's rain or snow in the forecast or when i feel like using an incognito bag.

bottom line, get what you love. you'll know and feel it's the right one for you when you see it. good luck and hope you get one soon! :kiss:

Thks much for yr valuable advice. My wardrobe is mostly color. I seldom wear black or dark colors as I'm skinny hence dark colored clothes make me look even smaller haha. Given Tat, I also match w a neural colored bag like black, beige, white etc.

Thks ladies for all yr valuable advice n comments. Totally agree Tat H makes bags in many many delicious colors. It's really a hard choice. Most prob, I'll b getting e bag from a reseller hence my choice could be limited.

I hav a quick qns, wil there b color transfer issue w a colored B jus like other branded bags?

I wanted black with ghw.... my holy grail, but my first B was raisin with phw and I love it. 2nd was gold with ghw.... had always wanted g with g. Next was etoupe with phw, but the black is still my love and is coming. Have just put in an order for Vert Anis with violet lining (can't remember what my SA called the colour, but it is violet). So if you are going to have at least two birkins it doesn't really matter, as sometimes (most times) our first choice is not always available.

ricetable22 said:
Thks much for yr valuable advice. My wardrobe is mostly color. I seldom wear black or dark colors as I'm skinny hence dark colored clothes make me look even smaller haha. Given Tat, I also match w a neural colored bag like black, beige, white etc.

I'm in a similar situation. My wardrobe is mostly color which is why my bags are neutral. I love H pop colors, but they just wouldn't go well with my wardrobe. Black is classic, but for a year round neutral I would prefer a Birkin in Etoupe

If I can only buy one Birkin (which is probably the case lol), I'd go for a classic color... No black for me, though, I just don't like black in general. Maybe orange, red, gold or étoupe s what i'd go for. Definitely not a color like pink or yellow or green, as gorgeous as they may be.