1st Birkin: Shld it be black or colored?

My first and only Birkin is black with PHW, I do wear a lot of black but I thought if I only ever buy one I want it to be black. If I get another I would love a rouge Garance as I am a black and red gal.

My first Birkin 35 is black w/phw and I've carried it daily for 5 years. My 2nd BIrkin is Etoupe, I just got it yesterday and when I put up against the clothes in my closet, it goes with everything and gives a different look.

I think if you want something very practical, black is good choice. But then buying a birkin is not necessarily for practical reason. I passed on a black one and finally got the color I wanted. I thought if I was going to spend so much, I wanted a color I really really loved and not one that could go with everything.

For me, etoupe was my first B and black with ghw was my 2nd B. I'm normally a neutral girl, and for the amount of money, I wanted to get a lot of wear out of it. I'm into seasonal colors now, but those two colors are staples and I'd never let them go.

other tpfers have given great advice, so I think you really need to think it thru on your needs and whether this will be your only B or not..and plan accordingly~

have fun, don't stress, and go with your heart!

COLOR COLOR COLOR hermes does color sooooo beautifully its best to buy a more unique perhaps rare shade as oposed to a color that many brands such as chanel..... or others can do so well belive me my firts B was black love it but..... in retrospect color is a smarter choice !

You can't go wrong with both and if money is an issue, get the one you love most.:yes: Black w/GHW is hard to locate, even more than any other colored Bs. Either you order, or happen to be lucky to be offered and lastly, preloved.:smile:

I'm not entirely sure that I'd be getting a bunch of Birkins - so I'm very glad that my first and only Birkin (so far) is a black with ghw...I think that is classic, I don't have to worry too much about coddling it and have stains and what nots on it. I will not pay to buy through a reseller, so the only choices I'm going to have is what I'm offered from the boutique ;)

My other H bag is an etoupe picotin. Now if I had an opportunity to get an etoupe Birkin or Kelly, I would jump at it...I find it even a better "neutral" than black. I get more compliments on my lil etoupe pico than any other bag in my collection.

Choices, choices, choices ... I think it really depends on if you already have a lot of black bags in your closet. It is certainly a classic and will last a life time. However, having said that, I would probably opt for some color. I like my bags pop in color since my clothes tend to be more subdued in color. But anything with ghw is always harder to find.