17P vs 17C black caviar boys

It's softer than traditional rigid caviar but the flap is firm and the structure of my bag is excellent. The CC lock may take being a bit more careful but the chain has a beautiful texture that will help mask minute scratches. View attachment 3587574View attachment 3587576

Wow this is stunning! I think the 17p black caviar/LGHW combo looks best in this size. I don't know why, maybe the larger caviar leather balances out the hardware better.

Reactions: Joyjoy7
I originally liked the 17C version cause I like the brushed gold hardware. But the SA said that the yellow color of the brushed gold hardware will gradually wear out and become lighter. Has anyone had this issue with brushed gold hardware? I haven't got my hands on the 17C caviar. But now that you said it was like rubber, it makes me want to get the 17P version!

It's softer than traditional rigid caviar but the flap is firm and the structure of my bag is excellent. The CC lock may take being a bit more careful but the chain has a beautiful texture that will help mask minute scratches. View attachment 3587574View attachment 3587576

Reactions: Joyjoy7
I think it's interesting how different people's tastes can be. The 17c lovers call 17p a "cheap piece of shiny plastic", and the 17p lovers call 17c a "cheap piece of rubber". Such different views lol

Exactly...I think it's the sheep mentality. If no one ever said "plasticky" or rubber like they would have never approach the bag with that in mind. JMHO

I originally liked the 17C version cause I like the brushed gold hardware. But the SA said that the yellow color of the brushed gold hardware will gradually wear out and become lighter. Has anyone had this issue with brushed gold hardware? I haven't got my hands on the 17C caviar. But now that you said it was like rubber, it makes me want to get the 17P version!

I have seen someone posted on TPF that the gold hardware faded on the 17C. I can't seem to find it.

Wow - I'm super curious to see photos of this? Any idea where or which chat thread it would be in!

IMG_1485675607.790186.jpgIMG_1485675616.274642.jpgIMG_1485675623.957657.jpg

Please see attached pics. It's sad to see the gold chain fading for an over $4k bag.

I have posted on another thread about my dislike on the 17C boy bag. I have actually been waiting for the original caviar boy bag from 2014 to come back but they stopped making caviar for awhile and the ones from the last few seasons including 17C had the sueded leather, which I am not a fan of.

I have ordered both the blue and black caviar from 17C but had to return IMG_1485675921.960878.jpg

IMG_1485675942.096872.jpg

It felt rubbery and the leather looked so dull and dry. I must say that it was better than the last couple of seasons prior to that though. But, it still wasn't good enough for me.

When I saw 17P caviar boy bags, I fell in love. The caviar was more rigid, shiny and looks more luxurious. The dark beige and blue colors were just amazing. I was picking between the two and the dark beige/taupe is what won my heart. If I have more fund, I will get both.

IMG_1485676332.824029.jpg

IMG_1485676354.473974.jpg

IMG_1485676462.104241.jpg

IMG_1485676491.389969.jpg

The dark beige changes color from beige, taupe to grey. The detail on the chain is so beautiful. I just love the 17P dark beige.

Do your research and buy what you love.

View attachment 3589046View attachment 3589047View attachment 3589048

Please see attached pics. It's sad to see the gold chain fading for an over $4k bag.

I have posted on another thread about my dislike on the 17C boy bag. I have actually been waiting for the original caviar boy bag from 2014 to come back but they stopped making caviar for awhile and the ones from the last few seasons including 17C had the sueded leather, which I am not a fan of.

I have ordered both the blue and black caviar from 17C but had to return View attachment 3589049

View attachment 3589050

It felt rubbery and the leather looked so dull and dry. I must say that it was better than the last couple of seasons prior to that though. But, it still wasn't good enough for me.

When I saw 17P caviar boy bags, I fell in love. The caviar was more rigid, shiny and looks more luxurious. The dark beige and blue colors were just amazing. I was picking between the two and the dark beige/taupe is what won my heart. If I have more fund, I will get both.

View attachment 3589054

View attachment 3589055

View attachment 3589056

View attachment 3589057

The dark beige changes color from beige, taupe to grey. The detail on the chain is so beautiful. I just love the 17P dark beige.

Do your research and buy what you love.

Thanks so much for your amazing post - very insightful. You said the 17P caviar is harder than the 17C? If you pack the bag a lot does the base of the bag start to sag? How are you finding the wear so far? Has the shinyness of the caviar leather itself started to fade as I have concerns it's going to fade with wear?
Thanks so much!!! You've really helped me!

After searching far and wide, finally got my hands on the 17P Caviar Old Medium Black with Ruthenium Hardware.
Here it is...
IMG_7934.JPG
It is the most beautiful boy I've ever seen....

Let me tell you my story, I've been eyeing the
BOY for years now. Only purchasing classic flaps, I was scared to buy the boy but I just could not stop going into chanel stores asking for a boy.
One day I got lucky with black and purchased the 17C Lambskin OM Black with RHW... something didn't feel right - I wasn't happy with lambskin. It kept bothering me that's it was delicate and had to baby it.
Then I was on the hunt for caviar ... because I knew I wanted caviar leather. Searched far and wide and got the 17C Caviar OM black but with Gold HW! Purchased it. It was matte and dull and I felt the contrast with the GHW was too stark. All my classics even my jewllery e.g. Tiffany, Cartier is all yellow gold so I as a huge fan of GHW but it just didn't feel right it kept bothering me how stark the contrast was. Plus I looked at the ages GHW and felt it would fade.... the links on the chain were patchy also some yellow gold some silver some light silver it felt it wouldn't hold its colour.

Finally 17P I searched all around the country and was lucky to get this!!! I didn't even know it was going to come out in cAviar until I saw someone post it on this forum. And I knew I had to give a third shot!!!! And I love it!!

Yes, It's shiny. Yes the pebbles are small. Yes it's not as thick and stiff as previous caviars. But you know what? It's exactly what I've been looking for. Just enough shine to pick up the light, I love how to RHW gives it that rustic look and the contrast isn't too stark it's very understated in its beautiful. In person it's so beautiful and not too shiny..... I love the indentations on the hardware it adds an added sophistication to it. I do note that the bag in Medium looks quite small because the diamonds look smaller because the pebbles are tiny. But I gotta pick my battles...

Everyone has their own opinion and we should respect what they like and dislike and be happy that we are all happy with what we have bought. We all know how much getting the perfect chanel bag means!!!!!!!

I'm so happy.

After searching far and wide, finally got my hands on the 17P Caviar Old Medium Black with Ruthenium Hardware.
Here it is...
View attachment 3590023

BOY for years now. Only purchasing classic flaps, I was scared to buy the boy but I just could not stop going into chanel stores asking for a boy.
One day I got lucky with black and purchased the 17C Lambskin OM Black with RHW... something didn't feel right - I wasn't happy with lambskin. It kept bothering me that's it was delicate and had to baby it.
Then I was on the hunt for caviar ... because I knew I wanted caviar leather. Searched far and wide and got the 17C Caviar OM black but with Gold HW! Purchased it. It was matte and dull and I felt the contrast with the GHW was too stark. All my classics even my jewllery e.g. Tiffany, Cartier is all yellow gold so I as a huge fan of GHW but it just didn't feel right it kept bothering me how stark the contrast was. Plus I looked at the ages GHW and felt it would fade.... the links on the chain were patchy also some yellow gold some silver some light silver it felt it wouldn't hold its colour.

Finally 17P I searched all around the country and was lucky to get this!!! I didn't even know it was going to come out in cAviar until I saw someone post it on this forum. And I knew I had to give a third shot!!!! And I love it!!

Yes, It's shiny. Yes the pebbles are small. Yes it's not as thick and stiff as previous caviars. But you know what? It's exactly what I've been looking for. Just enough shine to pick up the light, I love how to RHW gives it that rustic look and the contrast isn't too stark it's very understated in its beautiful. In person it's so beautiful and not too shiny..... I love the indentations on the hardware it adds an added sophistication to it. I do note that the bag in Medium looks quite small because the diamonds look smaller because the pebbles are tiny. But I gotta pick my battles...

Everyone has their own opinion and we should respect what they like and dislike and be happy that we are all happy with what we have bought. We all know how much getting the perfect chanel bag means!!!!!!!

I'm so happy.

Awesome!!! I love it. I know what u mean about the 17c contrast with the GHW. Been thinking the same myself, but I need to see the 17p RHW in person! Did you get this at a boutique or dept store?

Here it is...
View attachment 3590023

I'm so happy.
Awesome!!! I love it. I know what u mean about the 17c contrast with the GHW. Been thinking the same myself, but I need to see the 17p RHW in person! Did you get this at a boutique or dept store?

I got this at the boutique....
I notice you have the blue with RHW and the black with GHW. Both are so beautiful!!!!!!!!

Yup! Thanks. Why must these decisions torture us??!! Lol

Congrats on the bag. Glad u chose this hardware over the light gold [emoji4]

The black with GHW just kept bothering me and I decided to part with it. I've checked from online boutiques and resellers and I beleive the gold boy will fetch more $$$ than the RHW. So you're lucky here!!! And the gold is a definitely more classic look. I'm just worried about the matte caviar and the the fading/tarnishing gold as time goes on...it kept bothering I guess we women just know when we know and I just felt it wasn't right.
I think if you got the black with RHW you would be immensely happy. As you're probably aware with your blue boy - the photos just don't do it justice!!!!!!! Good luck and can't wait to see a reveal if you decide to go with the RHW again!

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi ladies....you bags are beautiful.... I have a question .. what do you mean by contrast between black and GHW is stark???? is there a difference between the contrast of the gold on the lambskin than the caviar??? is it a little stronger????

No buying/selling allowed

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: Martini0317