$1.3K+ dress: I love Herve Leger dresses, but how do average people afford them?

I've often wondered the same thing...I can only assume that amassing a collection of HL dresses is something that is done when money is not an issue. (lucky them!) As an average person myself, I'm hoping to someday own just this ONE classic black HL dress ("only" $730 from Saks)....hopefully sometime soon because this body isn't getting any younger and before long, I will have no business wearing one! :smile:

0450301762723_ASTL_300x400.jpg

412zlVe-SLL._SL500_.jpg

I don't even really like the way the Bebe one looks. Maybe it's just because I know it is Bebe.
I tried on a bebe one today. The quality isn't good at all IMO. But maybe that's because I have an HL and it really sucks everything in and hides it. And to answer the question I paid full retail , It was a splurge but worth it!!! And I want another. I haven't seen anyone else wearing one around here.

I've never seen anyone in one! Boston must be more fashion forward than DC!

well boston is indeed quite fashion forward. i saw a sales girl wearing a pair of CL in children's department.

i dont own a HL dress myself. 1.3k is quite expensive. i will only get it for some special event. not for collecting.

It's really gotten bad. I still have some of my older clothing from them and IMO the quality was a lot better 5 yrs ago. DH and I went to a club, I was wearin my HL and a girl walked in with a bebe one (didn't look like mine thank god) and even he said it looked like crap.

i personally would not pay 1k on a dress. i am willing to pay $400 for a dress at the most and have found fabulous designers like alice + olivia that design contemporary dresses for much cheaper (and imo are way cuter!). HL is somewhat overrated where i live.