So I found a Black City GGH 07...really better than 08 or 09?

Aug 21, 2008
So after reading gingarita's thread (congrats by the way!) I was intrigued. So I called my local Neiman's - and sure enough they one black City GGH 07 left! Its on hold for me until tomorrow.

But my question is - are the 07's really better than 08 or even 09? I was planning to wait until my birthday (July) to purchase a black City GGH - but now I'm wondering if I should jump on the 07 that's on hold for me? While I really shouldn't be spending so much on a handbag right now...I really don't want to regret it!

Thanks!

Yes, really.

We can never really say for sure until you have the bag in your hands, but usually (and so far, very consistently) I can say: HELL YES GET THE 07.

Okay okay, so times are tough right now. Why don't you buy it, bring it home, model it in front of a nice long, clean mirror, post pics here, and then decide?

You can even bring home an 08 bag, actually wait - you don't need to even bring it home to see if the leather is comparable or not!

We'll make deciding verrry easy for ya. :jammin:

I don't mean to be an enabler but I think there is a HUGE difference between the 07 and the 08 (haven't seen the 09 yet). I remember the day I got my 07 GGH black, I was trying on a display model (an 08 one) and telling the sales associate that the leather was too dry and the bag weren't really black black and that I wasn't so sure if the GGH black was the bag for me. So he said he had one in the back with softer leather and went and got it and brought it over. The moment I saw the bag I could tell the difference. I didn't know it was an 07 at the time though, I thought it was a richer and softer 07. So, I bought the bag and came out and as I was pushing the stroller I thought to myself that the leather looked too good for an 08 so I opened the bag, looked at the cards and yep it was an 07.

Do you know if it's from S/S or F/W 07? Some 07 Black Bags have fading issues. I had a Black City SGH from 07 once that was turning a shade of green! I sold it right away.

I don't mean to be an enabler but I think there is a HUGE difference between the 07 and the 08 (haven't seen the 09 yet). I remember the day I got my 07 GGH black, I was trying on a display model (an 08 one) and telling the sales associate that the leather was too dry and the bag weren't really black black and that I wasn't so sure if the GGH black was the bag for me. So he said he had one in the back with softer leather and went and got it and brought it over. The moment I saw the bag I could tell the difference. I didn't know it was an 07 at the time though, I thought it was a richer and softer 07. So, I bought the bag and came out and as I was pushing the stroller I thought to myself that the leather looked too good for an 08 so I opened the bag, looked at the cards and yep it was an 07.

I know that there are some decent 08's out there too, but I def agree with this. :yes:

You'd know the difference straight away. Which means, most likely, you'd fall in love instantly with the 07. I can't say that about the 08 Blacks that I've seen so far.

So why take the chance? So many girls here would LOVE an 07 - and for good reason too. You should jump on it.

Wow!!! Thank you for the great advice!

And yes...you guys are total enablers;) Ha-ha! But I really do appreciate it. I'm rather new to Balenciaga but it does seem clear that certain years are more covetable then others.

I'm really excited now. I'll have to try and sneak out of the office and get there right when the store opens!

And yes...you guys are total enablers;) Ha-ha! But I really do appreciate it. I'm rather new to Balenciaga but it does seem clear that certain years are more covetable then others.

I'm really excited now. I'll have to try and sneak out of the office and get there right when the store opens!

Talkin like a true addict now. :okay:

I GUESS YOU CAN GROUP ME WITH THE REST OF THE BUNCH! I WOULD DEFINITELY BUY IT AND SEE WHAT YOU THINK WHEN YOU GET IT HOME. 07'S HAVE THE BEST LEATHER. AND THE GGH, TDF! I DON'T WANT TO PUT YOU IN DISTRESS OVER BUYING SOMETHING UNAFFORDABLE RIGHT NOW. BUT THIS COULD BE A REGRETABLE MOVE IF YOU PASS IT UP.
NOW THAT WE'VE ALL TALKED YOU INTO NOT EATING FOR A MONTH, DON'T FORGET TO POST PICS!!!:nuts::rolleyes:

I agree. 07 has the best leather IMO. (I've owned bags from 07 to 09) and nothing can compare to the luxurious feeling of an 07 leather. Better jump on the opportunity if you are financially comfortable.

Let us know of your decision and post pictures!!!!!!

Hey did you get it!! Just came across your thread just now. I'm soo excited for you as both of my black '07s is the best smooth leather I have felt in my life :heart:. Both thick silky, buttery soft and robust. Let us know what yours is like...

I would have to agree with everyone else. I have owned a 07 black GGH hobo, as well as a 08 black envelope clutch. The hobo looked so much darker, while the clutch kind of had a faded grey look at the corners!