Bringing Personal Items to Work

Actually just to clear up any misunderstanding ... I have lockers at my work but there are not enough lockers for all the employees = ME

I don't mind not having a locker because the grease, fumes, smells, you name it will go onto my bag. I keep my bag at all times close to me in a basket hidden from employees and customers so I have no worries on theft. That's not even an issue.

My main point I'm trying to get across is that I bring only my purse, never anything else (no magazines, food, nothing) and my boss nitpicks that I shouldn't bring it

However I've already thought about it and the next time she tells me not to bring my bag I'll call her outloud on discrimination and maybe that'll get her to back off.

Sorry but if you are the only one not adhering to the rules it's not discrimination it's insubordination. Why don't you have a sit down with your boss, explain why you don't want your purse back with the fumes etc etc and come up with a solution together? Or just take the advice given & use a cheapo bag when your going to work and put it in the locker? Seems like you are the one who doesn't want to budge here.

buy a small fire proof safe and keep your SSN/passport and other important documents in it at home.

You should never walk around with your SSN. Suppose your purse got stolen? Your identity is stolen along with it.

Well, I wouldn't advise bringing your social security card everywhere you go with your purse. If it gets stolen, you could suffer from identity theft.

That said, my favorite pastry chef told me she had her ipod stolen once while she was catering a party. I guess it's not easy when you work in food services to keep track of your things since you can't take your purse with you everywhere.
Agreed. Both of my parents work for social security, and they would have a heart attack if they thought I was taking my card ANYWHERE with me. It's absolutely NOT necessary to keep it with you and very dangerous to leave it in a purse or wallet. Put it someplace safe at home and leave it there.

I'd try just bringing the bare essentials with you - keys, cell phone, driver's license, debit card. Also, maybe try bringing a less conspicuous handbag - correct me if i'm wrong, but tokidoki bags are very bright and colorful, right? Maybe just bring a plain, dark bag that won't look so obvious sitting out.

And don't cry equal rights. Your handbag has nothing to do with your civil rights.

I read a little more after I posted - if you have lockers, keep your stuff in a locker. Bring a purse that you don't care about, so it won't matter if it smells like food. If you're not following the rules, you have absolutely nothing to complain about.

I also read the other comments, and i agree

Bring a less conspicous inexpensive purse to work and keep it in the locker. I think going home every night with your personal things is more important that worrying about fumes and smells on a bag.

I agree with placing your handbag in storage bag and putting it in the locker so the odors will not get it to. If I were your boss, I would not say anything more about and document and have you sign a statement just in case something happens to your bag.

I would leave you alone.

I totally agree with the other posters...do NOT carry your SS card around with you on a daily basis!!!

For your SS card and other valuable documents, you can rent a small safety deposit box at a local bank to ensure their safety.

Actually just to clear up any misunderstanding ... I have lockers at my work but there are not enough lockers for all the employees = ME

I don't mind not having a locker because the grease, fumes, smells, you name it will go onto my bag. I keep my bag at all times close to me in a basket hidden from employees and customers so I have no worries on theft. That's not even an issue.

My main point I'm trying to get across is that I bring only my purse, never anything else (no magazines, food, nothing) and my boss nitpicks that I shouldn't bring it

However I've already thought about it and the next time she tells me not to bring my bag I'll call her outloud on discrimination and maybe that'll get her to back off.

If the bag is truly hidden from employees and customers, then how does your boss keep seeing it?

I think this is odd...I've been a waitress, and I just left my bag in my car hidden under the seat. Much safer than in a restaurant, anyone could see you carry it in and stash it. It doesn't make sense to me that you trust a number of employees and random strangers more than your roommate. Can you hide it in your room anywhere?

I think the necessary action for you in this situation is to take a cheaper bag to work that you can put with the lockers. If there is not any space left when you get there, then point it out to your manager. You can't be a diva here and yell "discrimination" simply because you want to look fashionable walking to and from work.

I love how everybody agrees with what the other posters are saying but yet nobody is paying attention to what I've explained about in my previous posts and I feel like I shouldn't have to repeat myself over and over again. Thanks for letting me vent but this wasn't much help as I thought

Don't get upset just because everyone's not on your side...that's the risk you take when you ask a large, varied group of people for comments on a particular situation. Ultimately, you're going to do what you want, but turning on people who are trying to help you solve your problems (like you asked) does not make you look very mature.

It's not that people aren't agreeing with her, it's that they are telling her to do something that she has already pointed out she cannot do (put it in the lockers) and she's said it twice.

"We have a multi tier locker but all my other co workers are using it"

"Actually just to clear up any misunderstanding ... I have lockers at my work but there are not enough lockers for all the employees = ME"

It's not that people aren't agreeing with her, it's that they are telling her to do something that she has already pointed out she cannot do (put it in the lockers) and she's said it twice.

"We have a multi tier locker but all my other co workers are using it"

"Actually just to clear up any misunderstanding ... I have lockers at my work but there are not enough lockers for all the employees = ME"

i worked in a retail store with 150+ employees and maybe 24 lockers. you know what we did? shared lockers. because we're big boys and girls.

make a friend. or two. share a locker. she says she works with all boys, what could they have that takes up more room than a wallet, keys, cigarettes maybe, and a phone? unless these lockers are microscopic, i'm sure one or more of them would be happy to share.

we're giving the OP practical suggestions and she's irritated that we're not all jumping in to tell her she's right and her boss is horrible. happens a lot on this board. people post expecting blind support, and when they get some criticism, they get pouty. the suggestions that some people have given here would probably solve her problem if she was willing to compromise a bit. she sounds young - everyone's got to learn to PICK THEIR BATTLES sometime, and locker space at work is NOT a battle to pick.

i
we're giving the OP practical suggestions and she's irritated that we're not all jumping in to tell her she's right and her boss is horrible. happens a lot on this board. people post expecting blind support, and when they get some criticism, they get pouty. the suggestions that some people have given here would probably solve her problem if she was willing to compromise a bit. she sounds young - everyone's got to learn to PICK THEIR BATTLES sometime, and locker space at work is NOT a battle to pick.

Ditto!

It's already been mentioned, but I also have a feeling that if it wasn't a Tokidoki bag it wouldn't be as much of an issue.

Ditto!

It's already been mentioned, but I also have a feeling that if it wasn't a Tokidoki bag it wouldn't be as much of an issue.

I have to agree. Plus, penance, you said that you get comments on the bag, but then mentioned that the bag is out of sight. :confused1:

I think your bossis crazy for telling you to leave your whole bag at home or in your car, but, even if you don't think anyone will steal your bag, I'm pretty sure this is what your boss is getting at. She doesn't want your bag to be stolen and her have to deal with it later, kwim?

I would try leaving everything at home. Put your DL and CC/Cash in your pocket so you can carry it around w/ you. If you have a lot of keychains, downgrade them and put your house keys and car keys on one of those mountian climbing keychains and attatch it to your pants belt loop. take your cell phone and either put it in your pocket or in your waitressing apron. Then you will have everything you need on you and you won't have to ehar her complain anymore.