Bringing Personal Items to Work

I'm not upset - I'm rather annoyed cause it takes more time to explain every single detail to you guys but of course I realize that you guys have never seen my workspace so you wouldn't know what anything looks like or just how crazy my boss is and I'm just burnt out.

I fully understand the hazards of bringing my purse to work, if it got stolen then I'm responsible not my boss but again as I've mentioned in no way am I worried about theft. It's not even an issue I'm pointing out

Everybody has always said my boss and I have a weird relationship, that we're too close (like mother & daughter) so maybe when she sees I have my bag at work she's trying to control me by telling me not to bring it and everytime I tell her that I need my bag. It's been like this for months but the problem never escalates past that.

Seriously sometimes she sees my bag and doesn't say a word and then there are times when she like to go on pick mode.

I'm not upset - I'm rather annoyed cause it takes more time to explain every single detail to you guys but of course I realize that you guys have never seen my workspace so you wouldn't know what anything looks like or just how crazy my boss is and I'm just burnt out.

I fully understand the hazards of bringing my purse to work, if it got stolen then I'm responsible not my boss but again as I've mentioned in no way am I worried about theft. It's not even an issue I'm pointing out

Everybody has always said my boss and I have a weird relationship, that we're too close (like mother & daughter) so maybe when she sees I have my bag at work she's trying to control me by telling me not to bring it and everytime I tell her that I need my bag. It's been like this for months but the problem never escalates past that.

Seriously sometimes she sees my bag and doesn't say a word and then there are times when she like to go on pick mode.

if you're annoyed that we realize that we need an accurate description of the situation in order to give you accurate feedback, then don't ask for our advice.

It is understood that there are not enough lockers so here are your choices:
1. Leave purse at home or leave it locked in the trunk of your car.
2. Share a locker with one of the employees you trust.
3. Bring a cheap bag.
4. Find roommates you can trust.
4. Quit.

Just because your boss doesn't mention everytime you're at work doesn't mean it doesn't annoy her. Maybe there are some days she just doesn't want to get into it.

It's definitely a liability issue. I'm going to tell you right now OP that I am not going to tell you what you want to hear.
1. The purse is in a basket in an area that there are customers, and the OP has stated some customers who know Tokidoki have commented about it. Conclusion: It is somewhat visible to the public.
2. The OP is a waitress who I assume must serve customers and move around the restaurant between the front and back. Conclusion: The purse can be stolen because the OP's job duties do not make it possible to have constant surveillance over the purse.
3. The OP has stated that doesn't want to keep the purse in the back because of fumes that her purse may be exposed to. Conclusion: it is somewhat doubtful in my mind that she has negotiated for locker space because she has no intention of putting the purse there anyways.
4. The OP states that she feels she must keep the purse where it is because if it gets stolen out of her car she will not be reimbursed for damages. I have yet to hear the OP state that she would waive all liability of her purse to the restaurant IF the boss allows her to keep it where it is. Conclusion: If the purse gets stolen, the OP will hold the restaurant liable.

Think of it from the boss's side-she doesn't want to deal with it. I have a feeling that it could be some cheapo purse and she would still have a problem with having it in a public area. So let's say the purse gets stolen. The restaurant must shift focus from running the business to trying to figure out who stole the purse, not to mention all the drama that happens after a theft occurs. A police report will have to be filed and the OP must be given time to cancel credit cards and contact social security while she is on work time. I agree with the poster that suggested a fire-proof locked safe to be kept at home where your social security card and extra credit cards can be kept. Then it's time to ask your boss for an appropriate storage space, seeing you have not been provided with a locker. BTW where does she move the purse in those instances when you have stated she has touched it?

Last edited:
1. Leave your SS card and anything else similar in a little safe at your house

2. Ask your boss if you can share a locker with someone. Have her document that you're sharing it or something. Your locker mate is not likely to steal something if he knows his boss is aware you guys are sharing the locker. Or, as someone said, get to know your coworkers a little first and ask them if you can share.

3. If your boss doesn't let you share a locker, you could probably fit your credit card, ID, some cash, your car key (separate it from the rest of the key ring), and an OB tampon in the pocket of your apron or your pants pocket. If you wear a dress, get this: http://www.bootleggershipflask.com/ (obviously don't bring the flask with you LOL). Leave your handbag in the car.

4. The OP states that she feels she must keep the purse where it is because if it gets stolen out of her car she will not be reimbursed for damages. I have yet to hear the OP state that she would waive all liability of her purse to the restaurant IF the boss allows her to keep it where it is. Conclusion: If the purse gets stolen, the OP will hold the restaurant liable.

Think of it from the boss's side-she doesn't want to deal with it. I have a feeling that it could be some cheapo purse and she would still have a problem with having it in a public area. So let's say the purse gets stolen. The restaurant must shift focus from running the business to trying to figure out who stole the purse, not to mention all the drama that happens after a theft occurs. A police report will have to be filed and the OP must be given time to cancel credit cards and contact social security while she is on work time. I agree with the poster that suggested a fire-proof locked safe to be kept at home where your social security card and extra credit cards can be kept. Then it's time to ask your boss for an appropriate storage space, seeing you have not been provided with a locker. BTW where does she move the purse in those instances when you have stated she has touched it?

Actually go and read post #46

You ask where my boss moves it,

She will move my bag from my basket way from where the customer can't have access to, to a lower shelf where it is visible if a customer just stepped to the side, peek in and can grab easily. I find that a little bit weird, it's like she's not even thinking that theft might occur in that instance

Who are all these people commenting on your inappropriate relationship with your boss? How do you have a mother-daughter relationship? I am very close to my boss, however, no body would say oh you guys are like mother-daughter, it is very apparent that our relationship if entirely above board, professional & mentor-mentee. By mother-daughter does that mean a lot of back talk & attitude?

Your boss is not trying to "control" you, as part of the job, she gets to boss you around (w/i reason, and legal of course, and the purse request sounds reasonable). If you don't like it, you are free to find employment elsewhere.

Actually go and read post #46

You ask where my boss moves it,

She will move my bag from my basket way from where the customer can't have access to, to a lower shelf where it is visible if a customer just stepped to the side, peek in and can grab easily. I find that a little bit weird, it's like she's not even thinking that theft might occur in that instance
I read that post and I'm confused. You don't want to lock it in your car b/c of liability, correct? I mean if it got stolen out of the trunk or from under the seat could you not claim that on your insurance?:shrugs:
But you wouldn't mind if it happened to be stolen from work? (And that is what I take it to mean when you say you would be liable if it was stolen & not the restaurant).
Also how come a customer can't have access to the basket, but can grab it from the lower shelf. :confused1:

What is in your purse that you absolutely must have and is entirely crucial to your 8+ hour shift?

Why don't you just bring a different purse to work? Get yourself a $10 tote bag from Old Navy.

I think this is the best and most drama-free option. I understand what you're saying: you want your purse behind you at work for whatever reason, and you're not really open to moving it to a locker/your car/etc. Personally, I think those are better options, and that's what I did when I worked in the service industry, but it's your prerogative and you don't want to do it...which is totally fine. Given that, I think your only option is to just get a cheap(er) bag that you aren't as attached to, get some kind of lock mechanism for your door if your roommates are really that sketchy, and leave your other purse hidden somewhere safe in your room. But please, don't cry discrimination!

penance, I understand your feeling of annoyance. I don't carry my Chanel bags to work because I'm paranoid about logos in the workplace. But I *wish* I could. However, the reality of it is that it's best not to. So in that vein, I would advise you to simply get another bag -- one that you don't feel compelled to worry about. And bring that to work with you.

It doesn't matter what your relationship with your boss is like. I have a male boss with whom I'm very close, but I don't want to take advantage of our relationship to do whatever I feel like doing -- this includes carrying inappropriate accessories (for my office, at least).

That's why a Longchamp accompanies me to work and not a Chanel bag. I don't use the Longchamp at any other time.

i worked in a retail store with 150+ employees and maybe 24 lockers. you know what we did? shared lockers. because we're big boys and girls.

make a friend. or two. share a locker. she says she works with all boys, what could they have that takes up more room than a wallet, keys, cigarettes maybe, and a phone? unless these lockers are microscopic, i'm sure one or more of them would be happy to share.

we're giving the OP practical suggestions and she's irritated that we're not all jumping in to tell her she's right and her boss is horrible. happens a lot on this board. people post expecting blind support, and when they get some criticism, they get pouty. the suggestions that some people have given here would probably solve her problem if she was willing to compromise a bit. she sounds young - everyone's got to learn to PICK THEIR BATTLES sometime, and locker space at work is NOT a battle to pick.

I was just about to suggest the same thing. Share a locker (I would still use an inexpensive bag)

It is understood that there are not enough lockers so here are your choices:
1. Leave purse at home or leave it locked in the trunk of your car.
2. Share a locker with one of the employees you trust.
3. Bring a cheap bag.
4. Find roommates you can trust.
4. Quit.

Just because your boss doesn't mention everytime you're at work doesn't mean it doesn't annoy her. Maybe there are some days she just doesn't want to get into it.

:lol:

we can all conclude this is not what she wants to do!! funny