Food Dishwasher Fish

Status
Not open for further replies.
berry, i really think you're out of line. if she was going to BAKE the fish instead of put it in the dishwasher, the total energy expended and cost of heating up her entire oven for the preheat and then the time it takes to cook the fish would probably far exceed the amount water and heat COMBINED needed to run the dishwasher. even more if she *gasp* opens the oven to check on the fish, which makes half the heat escape, meaning the oven has to use a ton of energy to pull the temperature back up. i've sold appliances for several years now, and from what i understand of how she cooked it, i don't think the total energy expenditure (water and power combined) would be any worse than baking.

ovens pull off of a 220 outlet, meaning they automatically use at least twice as much energy as ANYTHING in your home that doesn't (the only other appliance that does is a dryer; dishwashers pull off of a 110, just like a hairdryer). does that mean you're going to go into every thread where someone bakes fish instead of steaming it and tell them that they're wasteful and ignorant? i highly doubt it.

as long as she used the energy to make food that she actually ATE, what business of yours is it what appliance she did it with?

This bothered me all night (not the jabs, but that this is DONE and promoted on a food network show). First, no one should use ziploc plastic bags to cook in unless they are MEANT for cooking food. Ziplocs are not meant for cooking and will break down at near boiling point (190 degrees is the beginning of breakdown).

Here's an article on that:

http://camping.about.com/od/campingrecipes/a/ziplocbaggies.htm

Now, on the ziploc site it says that you can use ziplocs and saran for heating and reheating foods in the microwave and to follow label directions for use. On further searching using "ziploc boil" it pulled a ziploc.ca site, but it's no longer working, so I can't connect it, but listed is the question, "can you boil in a ziploc bag" and the answer is no. Dishwashers are near boiling.... If you insist on cooking in ziplocs, I would suggest you use their zip and steam bags (or whatever they are called).

Also, a dishwasher uses an average of 25 gallons of water (depending on how old and big the machine is, it could be a super saver with only using 8 gallons, but most of us don't have those).

It cost about 50 cents to run that dishwasher that one time - more because the heat dry was turned on.

Compare that to using 1 gallon of water on the stove with a steamer insert over boiling water while using a FDA approved bag for boiling/steaming. I can't find info on boiling one gallon of water on the stove, but it would be a couple pennies. You would get the same flavor and same fish without all the waste. Plus, the time needed to cook the fish could be controlled better.

25 gallons of water and 50 cents versus 1 gallon of water and 5 cents (which is probably too much money for boiling water on the stove for a few minutes).

Really, I'm not so annoyed that someone tried this. I'm ore annoyed a food show demonstrated this because that is just promoting nonsense and wastefulness.

OK, I'm done now. I don't want "attention"... I'm just tired of so much wastefulness. I talked to my MIL for flushing the toilet because she spit into it to... it's just me.

This bothered you all night:roflmfao:.....If you dont want attention stop posting nonsense thoughts:okay:

berry, i really think you're out of line. if she was going to BAKE the fish instead of put it in the dishwasher, the total energy expended and cost of heating up her entire oven for the preheat and then the time it takes to cook the fish would probably far exceed the amount water and heat COMBINED needed to run the dishwasher. even more if she *gasp* opens the oven to check on the fish, which makes half the heat escape, meaning the oven has to use a ton of energy to pull the temperature back up. i've sold appliances for several years now, and from what i understand of how she cooked it, i don't think the total energy expenditure (water and power combined) would be any worse than baking.

ovens pull off of a 220 outlet, meaning they automatically use at least twice as much energy as ANYTHING in your home that doesn't (the only other appliance that does is a dryer; dishwashers pull off of a 110, just like a hairdryer). does that mean you're going to go into every thread where someone bakes fish instead of steaming it and tell them that they're wasteful and ignorant? i highly doubt it.

as long as she used the energy to make food that she actually ATE, what business of yours is it what appliance she did it with?

She's not talking about baking it, she's talking about steaming the fish versus running an entire dishwasher cycle (which wastes a TON of unnecessary water). I think her point is pretty obvious - if there is a more conservative and useful way of doing something, why not take that route? Regardless, I think people need to stop being so damn nasty to her, she even said she didn't mind the OP doing it as much as she was bothered by the fact that the Food Network promotes this kind of thing, so calling her a "psycho" is pretty unnecessary and downright mean.

oh my god relax heartnaspade...i specified my psycho comment, get over it...there was no reason for her to hijack a thread about making fish and make it a political debate over saving the world! you can't get all crazy on people and not expect people to have a strong reaction back...so nice of you to come to her rescue though:rolleyes:

It doesn't matter who pays for her water and electric bills - the point is that by now most people should be aware of our planet's fragile condition, and shouldn't squander away our resources without thinking twice about their actions.

I read this thread yesterday and I too agree with berryblondeboys. I didnt say anything because I couldnt find the right words to express what I wanted to say. You couldnt say it any better and I thank you for it.

I lived for 24 years in Sonora, Mexico. Border with Arizona to give you a visual of the weather there, desert so it gets f***** hot on summer. You walk out it the house on june and you can ACTUALLY fell the sun burning your skin, no joke. To my point. In Hermosillo, the goverment (especially in summer) rations the water. It does not rain very much so there was a year when you would only have water from 6 am to 10 am. If you didnt feel up your tank for the rest of the day you couldn't take a shower or flush the toilet.

You can't water your plants or wash your cars using the hose, you need to use one bucket or the police might fine you if they see you. Hermosillo is far from a poor city, and Sonora is the second biggest state of Mexico, but they had to do something about our water and somehow I feel proud of the goverment for taking extreme actions, you barely see people wasting water in the street. Watering the grass and even pavement wasting 1567626 gallons of water. Water it is so important to me too and I do as much as I can help the city. There is plenty of water here in California, but everything might change one day.

OP I know we dont pay your bills but I think it is a waste too of electricity and water to do this, there is many other ways to prep healthy and yummy fish, steamer pans??? way cheaper.

Ok Crylater-- I get what you're saying and I REALLY am not trying to pick a fight with you, but it's not like Voodoo (the OP)'s water would be going to to Sonora, Mexico if she didn't use it in her dishwasher...

There's plenty of people who run their dishwasher when it's not full, so are you guys going to go yell at them too? Or what about people who drive gas guzzling SUVs? Or anyone who drives places that they could be walking to (which, let's face it, is most of us in the Western world)? Or what about people who buy leather purses made of cows that graze in fields that were once rain forests? Are you going to go in every thread and attack every one of those people?

I can guarantee you that NOBODY in this thread is 100% environmentally friendly 100% of the time. So it's REALLY hypocritical and self righteous (and downright obnoxious) to attack someone for running a dishwasher ONE TIME. You people have no clue how environmentally friendly (or unfriendly) Voodoo is the rest of the time. And quite frankly, it's none of your business. She was just trying to share a cute/funny thing she tried. So stop crapping on her thread and leave her alone. Like I said, if you want to talk about environmental issues, please take it to General Discussion and stop ruining The Kitchen for everyone else. Thank you :okay:

Is this bickering still going on?!? :tdown: I'm pretty sure this was started as a lighthearted conversation about cooking fish. Now we're calling names? Geez, let's move on. You can start a thread about environmental opinions in the General Discussion section. This is a "kitchen" section.

Claire, you said it best!

OP I know we dont pay your bills but I think it is a waste too of electricity and water to do this, there is many other ways to prep healthy and yummy fish, steamer pans??? way cheaper.

Ah see! <clap and cheer>

I must say.... I'm so glad to see this response!

My problem w/ the original response by Berry was her whole "you don't think" attitude. What she meant to say was, "You don't think like me". Well, yeah ... and SO?

Crylater I'm sure from an energy side there are plenty of more environmentally sound ways to make fish (I really kind of prefer them swimming cos they are pretty! :P).

I really was looking to have a little fun....I love to cook for my family and, even though there is just three of us, I'm usually going on at least 3 burners, sometimes w/ bread of some kind in the oven and (more often than not) my dishwasher is running anyway because it's full of dishes.... from a 'conservation' standpoint I probably did MORE for the environment by taking a night off from standing in front of the stove!

May I ask WHY you did this? :wtf:I would have to look, but I imagine this is a huge waste of water and electricity just to make fish. Perhaps if your oven is broken and you don't have a microwave, but to PURPOSEFULLY use a dishwasher with all that HOT water and electrical heat just seems extremely wasteful for no reason. Why not put them in a steam bath?

Maybe I'm being harsh, but it really bugs me when people don't think. I would have felt better if you had double or triple bagged it and actually DID this when your dishwasher was full of dirty dishes.

OK everyone start throwing the rotten tomatoes at me.... I just couldn't keep my mouth shut on this one.

Errrr... I agree with berryblondeboys. It is not a very "green" way to make a meal.... sorry but a thumbs down from me.:tdown: Plus I really do not think it is cool... got to give it :tup: for the innovation though. Still ain't cool to not be green.

Status
Not open for further replies.