Do you guys think the new GH bags are too trendy?

Let me point out that the hardware is called Giant as a relative term. Had I never before seen a Bbag in my life until I laid eyes on one with GH, there's nothing about that hardware that would strike me as disproportionately large, gaudy, flashy, or trendy. We only call it Giant as compared to the RH that we're used to. There's nothing unusual about the GH in a vacuum.

Recall also that the hardware was first FLAT before it was replaced by what we now call "regular". There's plenty of room for hardware evolution and variety while still retaining longevity.

I don't know, I really like the SGH now (still have difficulies with gold) but i think it will be more of a trend. I am rather a "neutral" girl wear a lot of black brown etc...so the SGh pops things up a bid but I think in a couple of years I won't wear it anymore. Now RH will always stay in my closet, that's just me.

I don't know about it remaining popular or becoming outdated, I worry more about how it will look in a few years. Will it tarnish? That's what worries me. The brass rh gets a few scratches but you can't really see them. I still think GH looks like thimbles. Maybe it's the shape that bothers me more than the size. I don't mind the silver as much as the gold. I really love tassels. I have them on my ceiling fans as pulls, on some of my lamps, etc.
Also, if they can make silver in the giant, or pewter giant for the NM limited edition bag, why can't they do pewter rh again?:shrugs:

I don't know about it remaining popular or becoming outdated, I worry more about how it will look in a few years. Will it tarnish? That's what worries me. The brass rh gets a few scratches but you can't really see them. I still think GH looks like thimbles. Maybe it's the shape that bothers me more than the size. I don't mind the silver as much as the gold. I really love tassels. I have them on my ceiling fans as pulls, on some of my lamps, etc.
Also, if they can make silver in the giant, or pewter giant for the NM limited edition bag, why can't they do pewter rh again?:shrugs:

I've wondered about this to - especially after seeing posts in the care and maintance section that the gold on someone's GGH bag had started to tarnish. I know I will end up being disappointed if it does not hold up. I'm hoping that the overall quality is good, though I do worry whether the products that we use to treat our bags could cause tarnishing.

Stunning GH is what made me notice bbags and I hope they don't end up looking dated anytime soon! Plus I can't imagine a bag with no hardware anymore - would be so booooring! Remember too that Balenciaga is very fashion forward. The more mainstream brands take a few seasons to catch up (color, style) so naturally B's would have a longer lifespan.

And, hey, great leather NEVER goes out of style!

I see it as a great alternative that really brings out some colours of leather. Some bags look best with RH, some with GH. I can't really see why I would stop feeling this way.

I see it as a great alternative that really brings out some colours of leather. Some bags look best with RH, some with GH. I can't really see why I would stop feeling this way.

I totally agree. I think a good example of that is the sandstone color. With gold GH the bag is stunning. Without, it is just okay, imo. So far me, I think it is all about the color and the hw combo.

I think hardware will always "in" in some form. Like BT said, it would be boring with no hardware. I think there will always be a place for GH...Perhaps SGH moreso...I am going to try and always have only one SGH in my collection. I think the SGH brings added pop to a bag and gives it another dimension. I too am an RH lover. I couldn't go all GH as it wouldn't suit my lifestyle. I like the size of RH. Sometimes I wish the RH was more brass-looking...You know, more of a golden brown tinge. Or even bring back pewter hardware as another RH option??? I do worry that the GH will tarnish if stored in a moist area. Just make sure you wipe down the GH with a dry tissue before placing in the dustbag & box to store away. That way any excess moisture can be blotted up.

Let me point out that the hardware is called Giant as a relative term. Had I never before seen a Bbag in my life until I laid eyes on one with GH, there's nothing about that hardware that would strike me as disproportionately large, gaudy, flashy, or trendy. We only call it Giant as compared to the RH that we're used to. There's nothing unusual about the GH in a vacuum.

Recall also that the hardware was first FLAT before it was replaced by what we now call "regular". There's plenty of room for hardware evolution and variety while still retaining longevity.

ITA! :yes:

I was at Neimans today and a lot of the bags had a ton of gold hardware (Jimmy Choo, Marc Jacobs), so I don't think GGH is more "flashy" than the rest.

Extremely good points Decophile!

I totally agree. I think a good example of that is the sandstone color. With gold GH the bag is stunning. Without, it is just okay, imo. So far me, I think it is all about the color and the hw combo.

^^ ITA too, that some styles & colors look better in "GH" :tup:...even though i'm an "RH" gal at heart, i've found that some b-bags need a little sumthin'-sumthin' :graucho:

When I first saw the silver, I really liked it. I have 3 bags from fall with it. I just got bored, I missed the tassles!!

Also, it kinda upset me that there's such a difference in price. Just my opinion...