Mulberry Bayswater and Hermes?

Chaneller said:
I like the Bayswater bag. It's a modern classic and youthful, but not as "old-ladyish" as the Birkin (which I will definitely get when I'm in my 40's or 50's). ;)

LOL

I'm the latter and I've got both ;)
but I'll NEVER be old-ladyish

I wouldn't think it was an "inspired" copy if it didn't have the lock with the leather strap holding it to bag.

If it had just had the wrap-around straps with an inventive latch, it'd have more to recommend it. as it is, it just looks like a saggy also-ran.

I quite like my Tooled Bayswater. Especially since I got it on deep sale and saw the same bag yesterday for full $$$$ price in 2 places.
I do try to stay away from any "inspired" bag though.

I don't think the Bayswater looks like a copy, IMO it has a personality of it's own. I like the black ones, there are many different leather options (yes, there are black with black stitching) and different hardware (brass on the darwin bags, a more reddish, coppery colour on the congo & glaced leather bags).

I like the Bayswater, too. But isn't it unlined leather? I was thinking about getting one but then I started worrying about the tiny, little leather pieces that get rubbed off and get stuck to all the things inside your bag. I have an unlined Coach bag that's about 15 years old that did that. Do any of you ladies have that problem with your Bayswater?

i just got a Bayswater with applique details and I LOVE it. It's modern and just the right size. Hermes may be the top dog but really, it's very conservative, kinda dull and in my opinion just not a bag that says, "i'm individual." It says "I have a lotta money," is what I think...

if only hermes was affordable....(sigh) If I ever shelled out and got one, I would feel so sinful...but heavenly sinful :biggrin:

I know it looks pretty similar, i don't know....so cute and affordable...but very much the same. Think it would it be lame carrying one of these?

Some blog said it was the "crude version of hermes...", well yeah, nothing could really ever compare!!!
I probably shouldn't be saying this but if you want a Birkin, there is a list for them. If you shop at your local Hermes boutique now and then, even if it's just for scarves, certain branches have something called the "VIP wish list". Someone that works there will approach you and ask you if you would be interested in being on it. Then basically, the day a Birkin comes in, they call you early in the morning and tell you that you may be interested in dropping by the store that day to take a look around. And voila, there's your Birkin. The only drawback is that if you really want one from the boutique, you won't be in charge of what colour it is that they've gotten that day.

But a Birkin is beautiful within itself!!!:love:

I was nay to Bayswater till I saw pics. of it being carried....

kate and bag

I'm torn because Kate M. had several Birkins already and she still got the Mulberrys. I think it's got a lot to do with personality and lifestyle. Birkins can be made to look really casual but they're not rock n roll. Kate Moss is a rock and roller at heart and I think the Mulberry gives you the shape and comfort of the Birkin but they have a distinctly rock n roll edge. [[[[

I like ALL kinds of bags and do have Hermes birkins and the Bayswater. Don't think they're similar. To me, the Bayswater is a very casual bag ... depending on the color and skin used.

I used mine mainly to schlep around...

I have to agree with the above. I can't see anything similar between the Birkin and Bayswater. They are two totally different bags. 2 years has gone since this thread was made and perhaps the Mulburry has become more well-known now in the US. Mullberry is tremendous popular were I live and has been for a couple of years and that brand definitly stands on its own. If anything you can tell by the amount of fake copy there is, our Ebay is just full of them.