Mulberry Bayswater and Hermes?

I quite like the Mulberry Bayswater as it's spacious and very light in weight (I have a smaller version which is handheld), and the clasp is easy to open. Bayswater is a very good everyday bag. I think it does not go out of style as Mulberry produces Bayswater every year. You may want to look for some secondhand ones on ebay or wait for Sales. I got mine at 50% discount during sales period.

The Bayswater doesn't really look that much like the Hermes in my opinion. I have the tan color and once you wear it a bunch of times the leather gets vintage-y looking. And the flap is bigger and the straps are longer. But the main difference is that the Bayswater has a more vintage or old-school feel to it.

The black is just gorgeous; I wish they had had the black when I got mine! I am a big Mulberry fan.

I've had a Bayswater in oak (tan) for a few years now and I agree with FBL. In real life it is not at all like the Birkin, much more 'distressed' and battered looking which improves with age. There are now patent leather Bayswaters too which are a bit smarter-looking.

I'm saving for a Birkin at the moment but I will still keep and use the Bayswater for 'rough' and bad weather (You're supposed to keep the Bayswaters out of rain, mine got baptised by fire, well torrential rain, the first time out so I had no choice but to shrug and not mind, but now it really is my knock-around bag) I've sold all my other bags to make way for Hermes but I love my Bayswater and will hang on to it. LOL - it was my most expensive bag once, now it's my cheapest (retail about £500) apart from my beloved Longchamps pliages.

I would be quite happy to wear my Bayswater in an Hermes store, here in the UK, no-one would bat an eyelid, I'm sure.

I do agree though that a quick glimpse of a photo does give the impression that they are very similar to Birkins but in real life they are really very different and I see a lot here in the UK.

In my mind they're not at all similar. Mulberry is a classic brand on it's own, nothing to do with Hermes. I got my first Mulberry 20 years ago (omg I'm old). Bayswater is much more relaxed and casual, everyday workhorse. I have one in black congo leather and I'll never part with it, it was my most expensive bag before the Birkin. What a leap :P And my love for Mulberry hasn't died, I'm quite sure I'll get more Mulberry bags in the future, even though H bags have captured my heart.

It reminds me of the Drag bag very much. But I wouldn't say it looks like Hermes replica at all. Not really being Mulberry fan I must say I looked at their Bayswater in Purple ostrich with interest quite a few times:yes:.

I like the Bayswater, too. But isn't it unlined leather? I was thinking about getting one but then I started worrying about the tiny, little leather pieces that get rubbed off and get stuck to all the things inside your bag. I have an unlined Coach bag that's about 15 years old that did that. Do any of you ladies have that problem with your Bayswater?

I don't have a Mulberry bag and can't answer that specifically about Bayswater, but I will say that my Evelyne GM sheds a tiny bit of those little leather bits sometimes. They don't stick to stuff, but they are in there (I use a purse organizer, so my stuff isn't really flying around inside the bag, even the Evelyne) It doesn't bother me tremendously, as it is my knock around bag, but it does happen and if I were super-anal it probably would bug me.

And to answer the original question from long ago: I don't think this bag looks that much like a knock off, but I still don't like it for myself. It's too unstructured for me.

I have a bayswater and ledbury (which is the smaller version) and I must say they are not like the birkin at all - the birkin has a different feel, more posh, whereas the bays is much more laid-back. Also, I think Ralph Lauren's Ricky has a different feel than the birking, although it looks rather similar. The overal style is different: Birkin = Parisian; Bayswater = Englisch country style and more boho; Ricky = American long island as well as cowboy style.

When you say you like the black one, do you mean the black or the choco. I thought I liked the black at first, but realized it was actually the choco I was looking at (as posted in first pic. above). If i'm correct, the black one has a contrast white stitching.,...which I'm not really a fan of. The dark brown has the dark stitching which blends with the bag.....unless there does exist a black one with black
stitching i'm unaware of.....anyone know?
Also, I just saw this pic. of a red bayswater on ebay....did the bayswater ever come in this design? I've never seen it.

attachment.php

Yes it did - I have one I bought a couple of years back (which, embarassingly, has yet to see the light of day!)

Mulberry is a classic brand and it's Bayswater is an iconic bag in the UK, instantly recognisable as being a Mulberry. It was never designed to be a copy of a Hermes. The two are poles apart.

^ I wouldn't say its a 'leather satchel'.

I have both a Birkin and a Bayswater and love them both. They are quite different bags and different looks and there is room for both in my opinion.