Mulberry Bayswater and Hermes?

I absolutely don't think the bayswater is a replica of the birkin. I love the bayswater, it's classic, good quality handbag. Each stand alone in their own right, they're very different bags imo.

I carry a Bayswater for work, although it's a larger version than Kate Moss's one in the pic above.

The leather is very thick but floppy, and has a 'used' look. The bag is completely unstructured, and the top simply flops over (or inside) the bag. For me, this bag is for wearing on the shoulder, for lugging about the gear I need at work, and for chucking into the corner of a clinic room / operating theatre when I'm working. It doesn't look, feel, or behave anything like a birkin.

I totally second that. While I would never throw the Mulberry ANYWHERE I can see what you mean as the Bayswater can be more 'casually' flung, and dare I say it...practical, as opposed to the almighty Birkin.

And definitely agree re; the Birkin being very much structured unlike the Bayswater, but then again I think thats only true off the original Bayswater and not necessarily the patent ones.

(yay my first post!! :yahoo: )

The Bayswater doesn't really look that much like the Hermes in my opinion. I have the tan color and once you wear it a bunch of times the leather gets vintage-y looking. And the flap is bigger and the straps are longer. But the main difference is that the Bayswater has a more vintage or old-school feel to it.

The black is just gorgeous; I wish they had had the black when I got mine! I am a big Mulberry fan.

I completely agree, until I saw the title of this thread I would never had thought this in my wildest dreams - no way.

It's just another bag, it is what it is - infact, if I had to say it looked like a Hermes bag i'd say it looked like one of those modern hideous fake Birkins you see for sale on Ebay these days.
The brand just isn't in the same league.
Quite a few designers make Birkin looking bags and they're not intended as replica's just their own style.
(I believe Chanel are the exception to the rule ?).

I like some of the Mulberry things, I have some of their vintage items plus some luggage so don't interpret my comments as negative.

Whenever I'm in London I see women of all ages carrying the Bayswater in different colours and finishes. It's an icon in its own right, but it's definitely more of a workhorse bag in my opinion than anything from H.

Whenever I'm in London I see women of all ages carrying the Bayswater in different colours and finishes. It's an icon in its own right, but it's definitely more of a workhorse bag in my opinion than anything from H.

Where I live Mulberry is the must-have brand for the younger women, I see lots of Baywaters and still can't warm to the style.
Luckily, we all have our own choices though :smile:

Bayswaters are very casual looking. You could take a Birkin to a charity sit-down dinner, but not a Bayswater. Some younger ladies bring their Birkins clubbing, but I've never seen a Bayswater used for a dressed-up event.
In other words, the bags are quite different.

Bayswaters are very casual looking. You could take a Birkin to a charity sit-down dinner, but not a Bayswater. Some younger ladies bring their Birkins clubbing, but I've never seen a Bayswater used for a dressed-up event.
In other words, the bags are quite different.
Exactly!! You hit the nail on the head!

Also I feel the bags are quite young. I normally see teenagers and very young women rocking them. I don't recall seeing a more mature woman with one.