cz versus the real deal...

I would want a real diamond. I don't think CZs look like real diamond, especially when they are large. I would feel embarassed to be wearing a gaudy looking ring that was fake. Besides, to me the engagement ring is not about size, but the sentiment behind it. A real diamond is more sentimental to me than a throw away CZ.

I've just recently done a little research into CZs and from what I've read, when a CZ is cut by hand and done properly you can't tell it isn't a diamond without a loop. Yes there are awful CZs that look very fake but there are also very good ones. I'm considering a pair of CZ earrings. My diamond studs are 1 ct total and I want 2 ct total. They might end up being CZs, but shhh don't tell anyone.:whistle:

...For me personally, I would prefer not to get the .25 c. diamond er. I would rather show off with something fake that looks better, or alternatively wear nothing at all....
To me, the most romantic idea for an engagement ring is one from a family collection, the stone doesn't matter, and (by the way, an engagement ring CAN have a colored stone - just a thought! :smile: )

The appeal is in the history, in thinking about the ancestor - yours or his, because you're all one big family now - who wore it, the fun she had, all the milestones it saw, maybe it was on her hand the day her baby brother - your man's grandfather - came home and announced that *she* had said yes!

Maybe it was gently removed and set in a drawer by a nurse the day your father was born, maybe your mom was playing dress-up with it as her mom tried to persuade her to take off all that lipstick and come watch the man walk on the moon.

Maybe it was placed on her daughter's finger by your great-grandmother, as she struggled not to cry on the day your grandmother got on the big boat that would take her to a new life in a new country, where your grandfather waited for her - or maybe the ring was in his pocket the day the ship finally arrived...

Does it really matter if the stone in it is real glass or faux pearl?

What ring could possibly be "worth more?"

can you really tell the difference between CZ and diamonds? i mean if u get a one kt. diamond and a 1 kt CZ do you think anyone can honestly tell?? has anyone ever actually compared the two side by side??

can you really tell the difference between CZ and diamonds? i mean if u get a one kt. diamond and a 1 kt CZ do you think anyone can honestly tell?? has anyone ever actually compared the two side by side??

i have compaired them.. i have 1 carat earrings and a 2 carat necklace and my best friend has a 2 carat CZ for her engagement ring...and we layed out my earrings and my necklace and put her ring next to them.....and the human eye can not tell the difference....im sure if the CZ was really old or really crappy you probally could....but honestly we could not tell the difference.

maybe under different circumstances someone could tell the difference. but the normal human eye cannot tell the difference just by looking at them.

i went to a local store here and we talked about diamonds vs CZ and he said alot of women are comming in and purchasing rings with CZ or upgrading their original ring from the old diamond to a larger CZ. He also said as I said that the normal human eye can not tell the difference in almost all cases. So alot of rings you see out and about could be CZ's. This was comming from a jeweler.

i have compaired them.. i have 1 carat earrings and a 2 carat necklace and my best friend has a 2 carat CZ for her engagement ring...and we layed out my earrings and my necklace and put her ring next to them.....and the human eye can not tell the difference....im sure if the CZ was really old or really crappy you probally could....but honestly we could not tell the difference.

maybe under different circumstances someone could tell the difference. but the normal human eye cannot tell the difference just by looking at them.

i went to a local store here and we talked about diamonds vs CZ and he said alot of women are comming in and purchasing rings with CZ or upgrading their original ring from the old diamond to a larger CZ. He also said as I said that the normal human eye can not tell the difference in almost all cases. So alot of rings you see out and about could be CZ's. This was comming from a jeweler.

And from my own personal experience, Ive had friends and strangers drool over some of my cz jewellery, and I mean where they look like they think Im wearing the crown jewels. Ive had compliments galore, and many comments on how lucky I am!!!! I actually gave some cz jewellery to my friends and even I am inpressed when I see it on them!!! Of course they knew that it was a cz, but its just for fun!

For me its an interesting concept that a lot of what we put on a pedistal is just smoke and mirrors. It interesting that we can be admiring what we think is an object of intrinsic value, but it may only be glass. It shows you that not everything is what it appears.

And from my own personal experience, Ive had friends and strangers drool over some of my cz jewellery, and I mean where they look like they think Im wearing the crown jewels. Ive had compliments galore, and many comments on how lucky I am!!!! I actually gave some cz jewellery to my friends and even I am inpressed when I see it on them!!! Of course they knew that it was a cz, but its just for fun!

For me its an interesting concept that a lot of what we put on a pedistal is just smoke and mirrors. It interesting that we can be admiring what we think is an object of intrinsic value, but it may only be glass. It shows you that not everything is what it appears.

well said!!! everything is definatly not as it appears.

for me personally....my boyfriend and i have looked at rings and i pickes a ring thats platinum with small diamonds around the band and then the center stone is a CZ...for us personally we would rather use money for a down payment on a house or bills or all of the above instead of spending 10,000 dollars and up on a diamond.

everyone is different....we all spend money on something!

I have CZ earrings that I am totally fine with...however, if anyone asks or compliments them, I make sure to let them know that they are CZs.

I would not be OK with a CZ engagement ring, personally, though.

I am not trying to be incendiary, but in my opinion, and to my eyes, a diamond and a CZ look nothing alike. I have a couple of real diamonds, and have compared them side-by-side with CZs ... the light is reflected differently because it's a different substance. If you're looking at diamonds all day, you know the difference. With that said, both are a prism, and reflect the entire spectrum of light, so as a symbolic gesture they are similar. I would just be wary of those who try to sell you a CZ in place of a diamond, but it depends on what traditionally diamonds have symbolized to your community whether or not they will hold value.

...For me its an interesting concept that a lot of what we put on a pedistal is just smoke and mirrors. It interesting that we can be admiring what we think is an object of intrinsic value, but it may only be glass. It shows you that not everything is what it appears.
Occasionally someone, some extremely gifted someone, writes a concise sentence or two that crystallizes an idea on which I have expounded and pontificated and committed what would be a 3 foot high stack of single-spaced words upon words upon words, and never gotten closer to the goal than the "Occasionally Semi-Coherent" mark, and even then, obscured my point, myself and the occasional lurker with a severe case of Compulsive Reading Syndrome in a nebulous and rococo mazecloud of never-ending words and word wannabes, and then I see that paragraph, that luminescent and illuminating and accessible oh my! little sentence clump, perfect as a newbloomed rose at sunrise, and I just have to take a minute, and gaze at it in admiration, awe, and yes, not a little envy, before I set my nose sternly to the arduous task, and try my best to achieve my own personal unreachable star, of simply saying "Thank You."

Thank You for helping those of us Living With Brevity Impairment see how it looks written like we should have written it, but can only dream of, writing it.

personally, i would never wear a cz e-ring. my ring isnt huge (.75) but i love it so much! i love it obviously bc DH (and his friend who designed it) worked hard to pick out something beautiful and special just for me. but if it was a cz, i would just feel like it was trying to b something it was not, like al lstyle and no substance.

Occasionally someone, some extremely gifted someone, writes a concise sentence or two that crystallizes an idea on which I have expounded and pontificated and committed what would be a 3 foot high stack of single-spaced words upon words upon words, and never gotten closer to the goal than the "Occasionally Semi-Coherent" mark, and even then, obscured my point, myself and the occasional lurker with a severe case of Compulsive Reading Syndrome in a nebulous and rococo mazecloud of never-ending words and word wannabes, and then I see that paragraph, that luminescent and illuminating and accessible oh my! little sentence clump, perfect as a newbloomed rose at sunrise, and I just have to take a minute, and gaze at it in admiration, awe, and yes, not a little envy, before I set my nose sternly to the arduous task, and try my best to achieve my own personal unreachable star, of simply saying "Thank You."

Thank You for helping those of us Living With Brevity Impairment see how it looks written like we should have written it, but can only dream of, writing it.

:roflmfao: Fabulous post! I swear I am laughing out loud. If I hadn't just finished my second glass of wine I would have to throw in a few $100 words but... yeah the wine. Anyway, I totally relate (and agree)!