2024 Resolution: Shopping my own Bag and SLG Collection

ANNUAL COLOR WEEK BAG SHOWCASE!!

A long standing trading (9 years and counting!) is to remind ourselves of how wonderful our own collections are by showcasing them by color. We can see how far we have come, collection wise, and we reminded that we have all (or most of) what we need making it easier to shop our own closets.

To make this celebration fun, we share bags of a certain color each week.

COLOR WEEK BAG SHOWCASE!

• New color weeks start each Sunday

• Don’t jump ahead but, if you miss a week, please do show your bags “late”.

• Show bags individually or in a group

• You do NOT have to wear the bags that week

• For added fun, show pictures from previous years (2016-2023) or even just one photo from when you started your collection to demonstrate how you have curated it over time.

• This is completely voluntary. There is no pressure to post at any time.

COLOR WEEKS

Feb. 11: Red (including burgundy)

Feb. 18: Orange & Yellow

Feb. 25: Purple & Pink

Mar. 3: Blue & Indigo (including turquoise & teal)

Mar. 10: Green

Mar. 17: Black

Mar. 24: Gray

Mar. 31: White & Cream

Apr. 7: Brown & Tan

Apr. 14: Metallic (gold, silver, bronze and more!)

Apr. 21: Jeweled and all other embellished

Apr. 28: Multicolored

If you have posted in previous years, you can search the previous threads to find old photos of your bags to share the journey of your curation

You should know that I'm a proper amateur!

Okay, the only way I can get the pics on here is by creating a low-res collage. Should be clear enough anyhow.

I made it so that it can be worn multiple ways, utilizing the oil slick as an accent. Technically, the bag is reversible, but since it's held together with glue and hope :lol:, I won't be flipping it metallic side out. I didn't make the strap- that's from one of my old bags.

Quite happy with the size of it. The scraps were juuuust enough to build the body.

Pics: first one is the scraps as I got them, then the bag with the different ways I can flip out the flaps (lol), and the last pic is the bday bag (the strap is the pop of fun; the colours run all along the strap). :smile:

View attachment 5990261
This is so lovely :love: And of course,’so is your Paul smith :smile:

Okay, the only way I can get the pics on here is by creating a low-res collage. Should be clear enough anyhow.

I made it so that it can be worn multiple ways, utilizing the oil slick as an accent. Technically, the bag is reversible, but since it's held together with glue and hope :lol:, I won't be flipping it metallic side out. I didn't make the strap- that's from one of my old bags.

Quite happy with the size of it. The scraps were juuuust enough to build the body.

Pics: first one is the scraps as I got them, then the bag with the different ways I can flip out the flaps (lol), and the last pic is the bday bag (the strap is the pop of fun; the colours run all along the strap). :smile:

View attachment 5990261
I love it! Such clever details for the multiple looks. Sometimes the best creativity comes out of just diving in.

I made a bag once (conceptually easy ..after all they are rectangles..but execution was hard). Let’s just say it really made me appreciate bag construction!

Ummm, I may have made the bag. :nuts::nuts::nuts:

I got the scrap leather a few hours ago, and being the loon that I am, couldn't wait to get started. 3 hours later and it's all done. <-This is a stupid move. I always do this. I start these projects when I'm exhausted, sleep deprived or ill. The result is always "okay" but not finished properly (edges and such). I had told myself that I'd do it properly this time, not rush through it with the excitable energy of a pup in an open field. Turns out I have no chill. :lol:

Anyway, I'm really happy with it. There are bits that aren't perfect but that was more because the leather scraps were just barely enough to make it come together. It's only for my personal use and it is such a happy bag that I'm fine with it not being ideal.

Pics to follow soon. :smile: I'll update my software now so that things start working normally again and I can upload them. Will also include a picture of my Paul Smith birthday bag. :smile:
Can't wait to see it.

Reactions: jblended

View attachment 5990261
Looks fantastic!

View attachment 5990261
You did a great job with your yellow bag! Love it, and your birthday bag is so pretty. The color on the strap is a really nice feature. Enjoy!

I may have asked this before but do you crochet? I know some of our other posters like @whateve and @nyeredzi have made items including bags. I was thinking it would be a fun project to make a summer bag. It’s easily portable and can be worked on during small pockets of time like waiting at the dentist’s office etc. Only thing is, I don’t know how to crochet! I guess there are online tutorials so it might be easy to learn.

Thank you so much! I love that PS bag and am so happy to have it in my collection. It's a proper grey, not greige, so it's all I could have wished for. :smile:
Happy to see you pop in! I feel like you're not around as much (or perhaps I'm not around, lol). Hope life is treating you well, dear @More bags

Eta: In a couple of days, I'll go back in and clean up all the edges, maybe add some edge coat if I can get some. I think it'll look less sloppy then.
Thank you @jblended. Yes, I haven’t been as active commenting. Work is challenging/longer hours/less resources and we’ve started into travel baseball season (currently on a 5 day trip supporting my younger son, it was an 8 hour drive from home).

I still enjoy popping in and catching up on the conversations and eye candy. :hugs:

View attachment 5990261

I love the colour of your bag, I think that's pretty amazing and amazingly pretty - and that's the colour I want :biggrin:

Loving the Paul Smith too! A very Happy Birthday to you :party:

One of oldest satchels is a PS (a gift from my sister) and I have worn it every Summer for work.

I wore my new Balenciaga to Saint Laurent last night to an event after work. And the rest of the crowd wore Hermes LOL. Not a Saint Laurent bag in sight. Last night was fun, more because a friend spontaneously decided to come along. So nice to go out, even if just to a shopping event. It helped the clothes and everything were really nice.

WARNIG: Downstairs they had a beautiful new variation of the SdJ

1714168133232.png1714168332937.png

As you can see, it's very me and so so nice IRL (annoying). I need to keep telling myself, it's black, black black I have 100 black bags, I have dome bags, little, med and large dome bags, I (probably) have better, and I've just blown the budget on the opposite (mad, slouchy, crinkly, silver). I also need to remind myself how expensive these crazy prices are. I can buy one thing, maybe two, but more is just stupid. I'm gonna go through some more things this weekend and do some tidying-up to distract myself.

It's still cold here and I keep being too optimistic. Yesterday, I wore some leather shorts, LS-tee under a wool polo sweater and a Saint Laurent trench. I think I looked OK, but ended-up was cold once the sun went down.

I wore a little brown pouch today over vintage tweed dressage tail-coat over denim shorts-(told you I was optimistic)-leggings and the wool polo-neck sweater and wooly hat. I was supposed to go food shopping but I couldn't stand the thought of it when it came to it, so it just turned into a long walk and talk with a prospective project partner.

I think the Bal will look better without a full-length coat, and I can't wait. I've been wearing structured/semi-structured hop-handles, plain shopping totes or cross-bodies all Winter long. Now I have a slouchy, slightly messy silver tote I feel like I have to rethink. I could have worn it today because it'll look great with the old tweed jacket, but I already looked mad enough with my wooly hat so went with brown pouch. One crazy-lady feature is enough per outfit (until I get to Iris Apfel level of 'crazy' lady).

Question:
When you buy or rediscover a bag that's quite different to the one(s) you've been wearing, how challenging is it for you to style?

Trying not to clog up the thread so not quoting every one of you, but thank you all for your sweet comments about the yellow bag. :heart:

I've already taken it out once and it was really nice to carry it. The leather is surprisingly good. I'll be using this supplier again. His leathers are awesome, even if they are very small scraps.

I made a bag once (conceptually easy ..after all they are rectangles..but execution was hard). Let’s just say it really made me appreciate bag construction!
Exactly! Especially since I refuse to purchase a bag pattern and will make my own from the ground up.
It's the little details that make a bag, not the main body. The times I've had the patience to saddle stitch and finish a bag properly, it has always left me in awe of artisans who do this day in and day out. Whilst the daily practice makes it easier for them, it's still an astonishing amount of work and diligence that is required to get something that looks really polished and is structurally sound.

I've discovered that I don't enjoy saddle stitching much. It doesn't relax me because I get fussy about maintaining the right tension and getting an even stitch all the way along. I notice when anything is even slightly askew and then can't ignore it, so I'll unpick everything and do it over. Strangely, I am not this fussy about the handmade bags I buy. Every one of them has something wrong in the stitches or edges, but I'm never bothered by it when it's someone else's work.

I may have asked this before but do you crochet? I know some of our other posters like @whateve and @nyeredzi have made items including bags. I was thinking it would be a fun project to make a summer bag. It’s easily portable and can be worked on during small pockets of time like waiting at the dentist’s office etc. Only thing is, I don’t know how to crochet! I guess there are online tutorials so it might be easy to learn.
I do not. I never did learn any useful skills like that! :P Even the leatherwork is just my self-taught bumbling around.
You're selling me on crocheting, though! You should try it and see if you enjoy that sort of activity.

(currently on a 5 day trip supporting my younger son, it was an 8 hour drive from home).
8 hours?! :whut: I would be crying in the car! Hope work (and life in general) slows down a bit for you. Make sure you're taking care of yourself amidst the madness.

and that's the colour I want :biggrin:
So hard to get the right shade of yellow, isn't it? This was the exact shade I wanted. The backside of the hide was in terrible shape, but the front flawless. I wish it had been a bigger piece. This wasn't the design I originally wanted for a yellow bag, it's just what worked best when I got the piece in my hands and realized the oil slick leather would make a good lining.

When you buy or rediscover a bag that's quite different to the one(s) you've been wearing, how challenging is it for you to style?
I don't usually have to rework my style too much for a different bag. That may just be because most of my bags are odd shapes or otherwise unusual, so I'm used to the clothes being the simple backdrop for the novelty bag.
My daily style is very tomboy/men's tailored, which works with every bag I own. The only exceptions are a couple of my bags that look better against a more feminine look, which is not something I do often, but I will dress girly when I'm in the mood for that particular bag. I've changed my clothes before just because I decided I wanted the girly bag and it was worth the effort to change just to have the joy of carrying it. :P

So hard to get the right shade of yellow, isn't it? This was the exact shade I wanted. The backside of the hide was in terrible shape, but the front flawless. I wish it had been a bigger piece. This wasn't the design I originally wanted for a yellow bag, it's just what worked best when I got the piece in my hands and realized the oil slick leather would make a good lining.

I don't usually have to rework my style too much for a different bag. That may just be because most of my bags are odd shapes or otherwise unusual, so I'm used to the clothes being the simple backdrop for the novelty bag.
My daily style is very tomboy/men's tailored, which works with every bag I own. The only exceptions are a couple of my bags that look better against a more feminine look, which is not something I do often, but I will dress girly when I'm in the mood for that particular bag. I've changed my clothes before just because I decided I wanted the girly bag and it was worth the effort to change just to have the joy of carrying it. :P

I think yellow, green and blue are the hardest colours for bags. Luckily because brands create lots of blues, I have perfect warm, stormy and clear navy blues. Light olive, jade and warm-leaning mid-vibrant green (basically H Bambou) are my greens. We have been more lucky with greens more recently, But Yellow? Really limited choices. I have the perfect yellow belt (vintage Trussardi) and somewhere I have a Sergio Rossi clutch, but how gorgeous to have a sunny yellow bag in the summer, especially to wear with blue and/or white all Summer. Hard work paid off.

You have great style. I have been trying to do part of men's tailoring-style for a few years. Not suggesting your motivation is the the same, but one reason I like tailoring is because however messy or plain I dress, throwing on a sharp Jacket, or wearing jeans with a white shirt etc always makes it more work appropriate.

Sloppy bag-lady/man is actually quite fashionable atm, but better on someone's 5'10" and above. Average height gals like me just look a bit donkey-like with big coats and big bags IMO. Slim, long, sharp coats also don't work with Mz Le City Bal on the shoulder but OK in-hand, it's going to be a learning curve but I'm determined to crack the (dress) code.