Which Rolex?

I like the slate and champagne, I like the green as well. The black is just so stark to me, just preference!
Slate is gorgeous. I have the YM37 slate dial and in the sun it's a really lovely soft grey. Indoors it is turns charcoal to almost black.
I think slate looks really nice also on the website but have never seen it in person. I am following this thread as I select my configuration (there are limited options in my 31 size two-tone, as I like cooler colors and most are so warm-toned when I saw them in person).

OP, would you consider a color in the middle as an option? When I was searching for photos of slate, the two-tone 36 with a slate dial is what kept popping up and it looks gorgeous. Unfortunately, it looks like it is not an option in your 36 with diamond markers, but do you have any interest in the other colors?

Of these two options, I think the black is more chic and the MOP is prettier and probably more versatile.

I’ve been mulling this over for a while. I don’t want to drive PF nuts or anything either (sorry in advance). The watch on the left is the one I bought. I’ve been really torn over it since I purchased it about a month ago and have been considering other options. It’s grown on me a little and I particularly like how subtle it is for a Rolex. But I’m so worried about major scratching and think the jubilee bracelet/fluted bezel would be much better for protecting against scratches. I was previously considering MOP dial, but since I want this as an everyday wear watch and it’s my first Rolex I think the silver dial suits the TT well. Now the question is… do I keep what I have? Or should I get the jubilee/fluted combo instead? Thank you so much for all of your replies and opinions! This decision has been eating at me and I feel like it’s sucking the enjoyment out of it a bit. I really can’t wait to make a decision and wear my watch and hopefully enjoy it.

IMG_7613.jpeg

Last edited:
So a lot of people will tell you to get the watch you like the most and do not worry about scratching it. That's cool. But I get how it can detract from the enjoyment of wearing your watch. It sounds like you know this already - the smooth bezel and PCLs will scratch very easily. That combo is however a little more subtle (for a Rolex) but a lot of people daily fluted / jubilee. F / J would be my choice if buying a datejust - I prefer that combination because it's so classic and I also really dislike scratches. The fluted bezel and jubilee bracelet are a lot more forgiving. If you are concerned re everyday wearability would you consider a fluted / jubilee model without diamond hour markers? That would tone down the bling while giving you the freedom to wear your watch without stressing.

I guess another question is are you able to return at this point?

Last edited:
I think you remarked in your other thread that you could not return it since it had been sized for you, so can you try to enjoy it? It is elegant and understated. You also said that you are in your early 20s I believe, and wanted something a bit more understated due to your age, so when the time comes you can choose a different configuration for your next watch. Perhaps to celebrate a life or career milestone.

So a lot of people will tell you to get the watch you like the most and do not worry about scratching it. That's cool. But I get how it can detract from the enjoyment of wearing your watch. It sounds like you know this already - the smooth bezel and PCLs will scratch very easily. That combo is however a little more subtle (for a Rolex) but a lot of people daily fluted / jubilee. F / J would be my choice if buying a datejust - I prefer that combination because it's so classic and I also really dislike scratches. The fluted bezel and jubilee bracelet are a lot more forgiving. If you are concerned re everyday wearability would you consider a fluted / jubilee model without diamond hour markers? That would tone down the bling while giving you the freedom to wear your watch without stressing.

I think you remarked in your other thread that you could not return it since it had been sized for you, so can you try to enjoy it? It is elegant and understated. You also said that you are in your early 20s I believe, and wanted something a bit more understated due to your age, so when the time comes you can choose a different configuration for your next watch. Perhaps to celebrate a life or career milestone.
Yes, as you said the watch isn’t returnable at this point. My boyfriend knows a reputable watch buyer and asked them a bit ago if they would consider the watch I had, since he knows how hesitant I’ve been about it (and this whole decision for that matter). The buyer actually gave a decent offer (slightly under what I paid). My understanding from what they said was that since this has a domed bezel, it’s not as sellable/desirable as a fluted bezel. But the alternative to keeping it would be to sell it to the buyer, cut my losses, and get the other configuration.

Do you think opting for roman numerals (like the watch I have on the left) would make a big difference in how blingy the watch is overall? I think the diamond markers are very cute, but I honestly also think the pave 6 is beautiful as well. I think the jubilee bracelet honestly scares me the most since you can spot it from far away (especially in TT).

I like the one on the right best, to me it’s more classic and on the plus side more forgiving regarding scratches. You could always ask the AD if he could swap the faces for you?

Reactions: etudes
I also do not like scratches, reason why I opted for the fluted bezel and President bracelet for my 1st and would love a TT fluted bezel and jubilee bracelet for my future 2nd...unless I have a change of heart.
Also, there’s something about the diamond hour markers that‘s just so feminine and pretty to me.
Good Luck deciding! You can never go wrong with any Rolex however. They are all gorgeous!

Straight-up I prefer jubilee/fluted combo, I just prefer the less-crowded face. BTW, I don't think either are subtle. There are far more subtle (vintage) Rolex out there.

In terms of your story, and the non-returnable status of domed-bezel, I feel for you. If you are genuinely torn, keep the one you have, but, if every time you look at it and wish it was the Jubilee, make the change whilst you have the chance.

Here's my DJ with diamond markers. It's identical to the one you want, but it's SS and not TT with a white dial. I love my Rolex, with that being said, you have to love your watch, otherwise you will always down down on it with regret. If you were to sell to that buyer, how quickly and easily can you get the watch you want from an AD, or do you have to go grey?

Rolex.jpg

@pinkmilq, agonizing over this purchase for the past month certainly takes the joy out of it and would seem to be a huge red flag that you aren't happy with this choice. The one on the right is absolutely stunning and classic. Truly a "forever" watch. Please take that "fair offer," be grateful that you won't be losing very much and get the one on the right.

Last edited:
Do you think opting for roman numerals (like the watch I have on the left) would make a big difference in how blingy the watch is overall? I think the diamond markers are very cute, but I honestly also think the pave 6 is beautiful as well. I think the jubilee bracelet honestly scares me the most since you can spot it from far away (especially in TT).
Yes I do. The diamond markers with fluted jubilee are quite blingy, but lovely. I actually prefer baton hour markers to romans on smaller Rolex watches as I find the roman dial a little crowded. Either batons or romans are less flashy than diamonds. I myself would not worry about the jubilee as a safety concern. I think if you are still agonising you should sell the watch to your bf's contact and take your time deciding what you really want. Don't rush!

Reactions: nicole0612