Ever love a brand until you found out something about it that turned you off?

I absolutely LOVED Burberry but then realised that they have SO many made-for-outlet items and most of their main line items go to outlet for half the price most of the time. I still love Burberry, but it changed the way I looked at how much it's 'worth' buying at full price if you can get the same item a few months later heavily reduced at an outlet.

Another one is not aimed at a particular brand, or the fault of a brand themselves, but the trend of buying 'dupes' on Chinese wholesale websites (mostly LV or Gucci) gets under my skin so much and makes me feel conscious carrying bags that I have seen 'duped' over and over.

I also really don't like when brands become popular with rappers and are mentioned in rap songs :annoyed: along with obscenities about women, drugs, etc. - for me it devalues a brand (happened a lot with Gucci, LV, now Dior). Reminds me of this :lol:

I absolutely LOVED Burberry but then realised that they have SO many made-for-outlet items and most of their main line items go to outlet for half the price most of the time. I still love Burberry, but it changed the way I looked at how much it's 'worth' buying at full price if you can get the same item a few months later heavily reduced at an outlet.

Another one is not aimed at a particular brand, or the fault of a brand themselves, but the trend of buying 'dupes' on Chinese wholesale websites (mostly LV or Gucci) gets under my skin so much and makes me feel conscious carrying bags that I have seen 'duped' over and over.

I also really don't like when brands become popular with rappers and are mentioned in rap songs :annoyed: along with obscenities about women, drugs, etc. - for me it devalues a brand (happened a lot with Gucci, LV, now Dior). Reminds me of this :lol:
I was really put off Burberry when they said something along the lines of Burberry isn’t for chavs- that annoyed me- aside from it just being prejudiced they shouldn’t have an accessible diffusion line and then complain ‘common’ people are buying it. I also think it is shady they were burning unsold stock (though I suspect a lot of brands do it and they just got caught).

I never heard that story about khaled, the crazy thing is he could easily afford to make a coat out of scarfs too - I guess maybe he wore it for the controversy?
Re the reference dapper Dan I am confused- I remember seeing him on tv and the doc said he screenprinted the logos onto blank fabric but in this it’s saying he repurposed designer pieces. Does anybody know which one is true?

On the question itself, learning more about Coco Chanel was pretty rough for me as I really admired her and bought the Chanel hype.

In a different sphere, I was sad to hear that the body shop and the Salvation Army are sort of MLMs.

Also this is a bit subjective but I hate both brands that push an incredibly narrow narrative about who is beautiful enough to fit the brand like Victoria secrets and Abercrombie and Fitch but then I also kind of hate the pandering ads like the one for Marc jacobs beautiful that are like: ‘everyone is beautiful! Look at this obese woman!’ Because to me they seem to still be a bit objectifying :no:

I was really put off Burberry when they said something along the lines of Burberry isn’t for chavs- that annoyed me- aside from it just being prejudiced they shouldn’t have an accessible diffusion line and then complain ‘common’ people are buying it. I also think it is shady they were burning unsold stock (though I suspect a lot of brands do it and they just got caught).

I never heard that story about khaled, the crazy thing is he could easily afford to make a coat out of scarfs too - I guess maybe he wore it for the controversy?
Re the reference dapper Dan I am confused- I remember seeing him on tv and the doc said he screenprinted the logos onto blank fabric but in this it’s saying he repurposed designer pieces. Does anybody know which one is true?

On the question itself, learning more about Coco Chanel was pretty rough for me as I really admired her and bought the Chanel hype.

In a different sphere, I was sad to hear that the body shop and the Salvation Army are sort of MLMs.

Also this is a bit subjective but I hate both brands that push an incredibly narrow narrative about who is beautiful enough to fit the brand like Victoria secrets and Abercrombie and Fitch but then I also kind of hate the pandering ads like the one for Marc jacobs beautiful that are like: ‘everyone is beautiful! Look at this obese woman!’ Because to me they seem to still be a bit objectifying :no:

Dapper Dan repurposed fake LV bags and luggage canvas in the '80. He also used no longer worn real fur.

In my mind he took fake and made it real.

Alessandro Michele was more than inspired by one of DD's LV/mink bomber coats 2017 but Gucci not only did a collab with Dan but set him up financially.

I don't mind carrying and wearing Chanel, because not only did she die before I was born but she'd hate me wearing it and that's a type of revenge. Plus, I respect and admire KL for his work and pragmatism, and the company for staying private (unruled by shareholders' bottom-line annual returns).

Although I was upset by his hideous outburst considering the people that went out of their way to help him in his early career, I still carry Galliano and Galliano era Dior I'd bought pre-racist rant. Not sure I would go out of my way to buy Maison Margiela now he's there. Once the Genie's out of the bottle it's hard to put it back in.

Same as reading the diary of a certain 1970s fashion designer. I have vintage pieces that are highly collectable, I just wouldn't buy any more.

I wouldn't buy or wear AW or AW Bal even though his work could fit in with my style, but I don't have any already. I was shook! Just why?

I don't buy Hugo Boss although I probably would if I didn't know about their history. It's difficult to un-know. It's not under the same owners and is 1M miles from manufacturing soldiers uniforms but the name is still there on the inside next to my skin. The man made his fortune from it.

I was a regular for Dolce tailoring and shift dresses. Dolce and Gabbana crazy and tone-deaf advertisement fiasco set my teeth on edge 3 years ago. Again, I wear the things I have but I'm not an active customer anymore.

Some major brands I otherwise love are clearly size-ist even though they profess 'diversity' and it puts me off. Some brands court controversy for publicity, and some don't treat their staff well from what I hear on the inside, shopping's very complicated :cray: .

Never loved loved D&G, and considered buying from them at one point, but after the advertising fiasco, I don't even bother to turn my head to look. :blah:

Alexander Wang as well, was very interested for quite sometime (just never pulled the trigger because there was no physical store I could go to where I lived), but after the recent allegations, I've stepped back.

LV is a love, hate relationship. I love the history. I love the trunks. In my personal experience, customer service and ordering has been poor, and therefore, I have not bought LV in years. I've also heard that employees are not treated the best and their commission % on certain items were cut last year (and it was never great to begin with); and everytime I see that line outside the store....can't be bothered lol :P

I was neutral with Gucci (not really my style) until I read up on history of the Gucci family, and that I did not like. It didn't really vibe with me. But there are always certain pieces that draw my eye, so I may have to reconsider. I've also heard great things about Gucci from people on TPF, so it's not like I dislike the collections or service; just have an issue with it's history. But you know, like @papertiger said, it's complicated, haha, no business is perfect and they're definitely not angels. :lol:

D&G - I love their pieces but the advertising issue killed it for me.
Chanel - I wanted a single flap since forever but when I did some research about her, and found out some unattractive and surprising activities, it killed my urge. I was a Chanel girl since my teen years ( I am 48 now). It was a great disappointment.

It really surprises me. I would think artists would exhibit free thought, an openness in their heart and mind.

It brings an ugliness and taints their creations. Where we should find joy, we ultimately find hate.

D&G - I love their pieces but the advertising issue killed it for me.
Chanel - I wanted a single flap since forever but when I did some research about her, and found out some unattractive and surprising activities, it killed my urge. I was a Chanel girl since my teen years ( I am 48 now). It was a great disappointment.

It really surprises me. I would think artists would exhibit free thought, an openness in their heart and mind.

It brings an ugliness and taints their creations. Where we should find joy, we ultimately find hate.

For me fashion shows the ingenuity and talents of all these great minds. Why the hate? There is no place for it in art.

Apologies for the repetition. Newbie here!

The grandchildren of Louis Vuitton supported the puppet government led by Marshal Philippe Pétain and made money from their business dealings with the Nazi Germany during WWII.

No one’s hands are clean.

Designers are people too. They’ll have their beliefs and biases. Can blame them entirely, it makes them who they are.

That’s why it’s complicated. Just gotta go with what you’re comfortable with. :smile:

I wasn’t in love with the brand, and this isn’t about a bag, but I was going to look at purchasing slippers from the UGG brand (logo with the first G larger than the other 2 letters) a few years ago. As well as gloves. Because of how people raved over them. I did thrift a pair a black UGG boots then. I was doing a little reading up, as the manufacturing process of the foot bed has changed with time for the boots. As well as finding out that they are made in China. In doing more searching I found a history of the word ugg historically being a generic term to describe the utilitarian style and that the history of trademarking the word ugg has limited where some manufacturers, especially Australian which is ironic, of ugg style footwear have been able to sell it.
I bypassed the above mentioned brand and have since bought shearling slippers from other companies.

Last edited: