Chanel RTW ~ Reveals, Chit-chat & Info thread

+1 with Brooklynite
@TankerToad, I have some designer ones, but I actually wear the doc martens ones the most. I feel that if we wear so much premier designer RTW, a more mainstream shoe makes the look more street appropriate and more youthful :smile: (of course when I go into chanel, Dior or brunello — my RTW boutiques of choice these days— my SAs just chuckle at my chosen footwear)
The funny thing is I bought my first pair of real Docs last year and I absolutely love them. They have a version with soft leather and they are so sturdy yet comfortable. When I want to avoid rain boots when it drizzles they are my go to footwear - and I can never do it with my Chanel :biggrin:

@monkyjib
I have never seen the third coat either. It's more like a coat right? The fabric is absolutely beautiful.
fwiw I went to B&J fabrics in NYC yesterday to study tweed fabrics...their Lesage was ~$200 per yard, and they also had some fancy tweed from other designers at $400 per yard. Honestly, the Lesage they had wasn't as extraordinary as we often see with Chanel jackets...Chanel created many one of a kind tweed designs IMHO (and Karl really got outstanding taste in color mix).
It's a long way to say that I can see how special the fabric is with the third jacket. If you LOVE it and will get a lot of use out of it, then go for it. (Also echo others that the first can be altered to fit you perfectly.)

Met up with my new sweet SA for the first time today. She got me to try on some jackets. First one, I loved the iridescent tweed but it’s 3 sizes too big. The seamstress said she could alter the sizing though I’m not sure how it would look. Second one fit me well but I didn’t really love it. Third one.. OMG! It was soooo nice but cost twice as much as the black tweed 4-pocket jacket. Does anyone have this 21C sparkly jacket in the last pic? Is it worth it? Please talk me out of it :eek:
View attachment 5220965View attachment 5220966View attachment 5220967View attachment 5220971
Unlike others, I'm skeptical about altering 3 sizes down. You're swimming in it! The pockets may end up in your armpits and too big for your torso. If you love it, can they get it for you in your size? The third one looks really nice on you. I agree that #2 is just ok.

@monkyjib re: altering down 3 sizes, I know it can be done, as I have had it done successfully--- but ONLY at a Chanel boutique. In fact, I was told by my SA at the Chanel Boston boutique that she had their seamstress take down a size 48 to a 34 for her successfully (YIKES!)
Just know that depending upon the style it might not be able to be done, and if the answer is yes, it may take a long time to be completed... Good luck with your decision!

Re altering down multiple sizes. I had one very unsuccessful experience many years ago with altering 3 sizes down. Everything was out out of whack and so awful that the dept manager agreed that I shouldn't take the jacket. I think that it depends on how desperate a person is to have a particular piece. I don't think it is professional of an SA to put pressure on the client to do so and make promises that can't be kept. There is always another jacket waiting in the wings.

Re alteration multiple sizes downward, this is solely my personal experience which may not be applicable to the circumstances of others. I’ve had it done, but it has to be done by an experienced and talented tailor who is a pattern cutter and preferably one who specializes in the type of garment (mine was a custom pattern cutter for men’s suits). Even so, it’s a risk if the tailor is not well versed in chanel garments. So, I would only undertake it if 1. You have access to such a tailor 2. You got an incredible deal and 3. You absolutely adore the garment and cannot find a smaller size.

My SA has sometimes come up with my size after months of fruitless searching. I have not yet had the chance to bond with a particular tailor at chanel (the way I have, for instance, with the head tailor at Dior) so I do tend to use my own tailor. But, of course a chanel tailor will have access to the actual pattern of a smaller size and will not have to start from scratch.

Depending on the individual, using an outside tailor on a garment like this can be incredibly rewarding, albeit extremely expensive, or an enormous mistake. If you go this route, I suggest you start off with simpler tasks and work your way towards a bigger project. A good tailor will also take his time and schedule interim fittings.

on another topic, there is now a thread that confirms the bag limit is one bag a month (same as before) see posts #18-20

Last edited:
Wow - I think this is the first I’ve seen that third jacket - love the cut - almost like a kimono - the pearls and sequins are probably what makes it so pricey.
Could you wear it by day?
It’s exquisite
That’s the thing. It looks wonderfully sparkly under the boutique lighting. The kimono cut is sooo flattering, but I’m not sure if it’s day-time appropriate.

The funny thing is I bought my first pair of real Docs last year and I absolutely love them. They have a version with soft leather and they are so sturdy yet comfortable. When I want to avoid rain boots when it drizzles they are my go to footwear - and I can never do it with my Chanel :biggrin:

@monkyjib
I have never seen the third coat either. It's more like a coat right? The fabric is absolutely beautiful.
fwiw I went to B&J fabrics in NYC yesterday to study tweed fabrics...their Lesage was ~$200 per yard, and they also had some fancy tweed from other designers at $400 per yard. Honestly, the Lesage they had wasn't as extraordinary as we often see with Chanel jackets...Chanel created many one of a kind tweed designs IMHO (and Karl really got outstanding taste in color mix).
It's a long way to say that I can see how special the fabric is with the third jacket. If you LOVE it and will get a lot of use out of it, then go for it. (Also echo others that the first can be altered to fit you perfectly.)
It’s more like a kimono jacket. Very light. I’ve never seen such intricate detail on a jacket in my life! Couldn’t stop touching and looking at it. Lol

Re altering down multiple sizes. I had one very unsuccessful experience many years ago with altering 3 sizes down. Everything was out out of whack and so awful that the dept manager agreed that I shouldn't take the jacket. I think that it depends on how desperate a person is to have a particular piece. I don't think it is professional of an SA to put pressure on the client to do so and make promises that can't be kept. There is always another jacket waiting in the wings.
That’s what I’m afraid of. I do trust their seamstress at the boutique but you’d never know! I can wait for the next black tweed in my size, or at least just 1 size up might be better.

Unlike others, I'm skeptical about altering 3 sizes down. You're swimming in it! The pockets may end up in your armpits and too big for your torso. If you love it, can they get it for you in your size? The third one looks really nice on you. I agree that #2 is just ok.
Unfortunately, it’s the last one available. Sigh. I guess there will always be another black tweed jacket to love. Summer collection’s fabrication probably suits me better anyway since I live in a tropical climate.

Unfortunately, it’s the last one available. Sigh. I guess there will always be another black tweed jacket to love. Summer collection’s fabrication probably suits me better anyway since I live in a tropical climate.
If you shop where I think you do, the best advice I can give is to ask the in-house tailor herself. Chanel is amazing at finding the best tailors but they are also honest about what they think they can achieve with their experience. I have been given really good advice to go ahead or sometimes, not do so much. It’s also true at the end of the day that there will always be another black jacket to love. Best of luck.