The JADE thread!

So my fav green and white was broken, fixed, and sent out for repolishing. It should be sent back to me in 1-2 weeks from now. Meanwhile, I’m thinking of adding another to my top 10 bangles (well since one of the top 10 was broken). None of my fav list is carved bangle. I have one carved jade bangle, medium translucency and light green-but it isn’t my favorite after I figured that it got chipped easily (high raised carving style). But…tonight I spotted this carved bangle (low relief style?) from gojade. I heard ladies and gents here recommend his goodies being grade A and all. Thing is I never bought any bangle from him. I’m also aware that light color may arrive looking a whole lot different from what I saw previously. Has anyone bought anything from his store? Do your jade purchases look identical to what you saw (color/hue)? This bangle is priced at my top dollar budget for carved bangles ($400 or best offer). So I won’t be happy to have it shipped from China to the US and be unpleasantly surprised with it!
I add a few screenshots of the bangle that I’m considering to make it my second carved bangle. What’s your opinion of the differences in color among these picture?
Thank you guys for your input

Attachments

• AED92C06-BAD1-47CB-949A-69705A79E269.png
    AED92C06-BAD1-47CB-949A-69705A79E269.png
    559.7 KB · Views: 33
  • 9A34FF4A-9FA2-41DE-B86F-8AE272ABC59C.png
    9A34FF4A-9FA2-41DE-B86F-8AE272ABC59C.png
    530.4 KB · Views: 31
  • 24337F6E-3F5E-42AD-BB3A-BDCD84BBC2B9.png
    24337F6E-3F5E-42AD-BB3A-BDCD84BBC2B9.png
    518.1 KB · Views: 29
  • E1B13AEF-2D4D-4099-AF6B-C93DCBE4660F.png
    E1B13AEF-2D4D-4099-AF6B-C93DCBE4660F.png
    710.4 KB · Views: 27
  • 0A6665A2-4D39-4CEC-8EDA-CC36A039ED29.png
    0A6665A2-4D39-4CEC-8EDA-CC36A039ED29.png
    716.7 KB · Views: 24
  • 4A77861A-5E80-44A0-9911-D8CDD1FE0C5B.png
    4A77861A-5E80-44A0-9911-D8CDD1FE0C5B.png
    425.7 KB · Views: 21
Just a lazy Saturday with nothing to do but play with the bangles. Hope everyone is having a more exciting day than me.

Gorgeous! You have the best colors and color variety.

I add a few screenshots of the bangle that I’m considering to make it my second carved bangle. What’s your opinion of the differences in color among these picture?
Thank you guys for your input

Looks pretty! Hard to say, looks like it has a nice polish and I adore the soft color, though it might be more opaque in regular light. Carved bangles are my favorite. If I had a top 10, theyʻd easily take up most of the list.

repost
qnGnfky.jpg

Looks pretty! Hard to say, looks like it has a nice polish and I adore the soft color, though it might be more opaque in regular light. Carved bangles are my favorite. If I had a top 10, theyʻd easily take up most of the list.

repost
qnGnfky.jpg
And you are the sweetest. Thank you JKP. LOVE LOVE LOVE your carved beauties!

What price should one expect to pay for an icy pale jade bangle?
that depends on a particular bangle. I saw many “glutinous” bangles priced between $80 to 700. Some ice bangles can go for $600 if it has some white spots and some would go way above $1000 price point if they have minimal imperfection. All these price ranges don’t always include/reflect other factors such as bangle size which seems to be the case for icy and better quality jade because size does matter (that’s why if you want icy but don’t want to spend too much, you can buy pendants and rings) and severe imperfection like surface cracks, hair lines, or worse (cracks going all around-inside out a bangle whether it’s from the slab itself or done by human errors).

repost
qnGnfky.jpg
I really like the lavender princess style in this collection! Gojade has only 1 or two of minimal low relief but they are on my smaller end of size spectrum and I was looking for something I can put on and off easily without having to use soap. BTW, I just purchased the bangle a few minutes ago! I put in an offer yesterday and gojade accepted it today for $250. I hope I didn’t overpay…for some reason, my jade seller from my hometown (when I got to go there for a visit, I always went there) told me not to spend too much on carved bangles if for wearing purposes because they are carved to hide cracks and imperfection. Thus he suggested they would look beautiful after the work of a great artist but they might not have the integrity of the non carved bangle. Not sure any of this is true about the integrity thing since I never wear any bangle more than 3 months. I only notice that most carved bangle is glutinous and lower quality-nobody would want to carve an icy slab unless it has majors issues to be hidden.

I really like the lavender princess style in this collection! Gojade has only 1 or two of minimal low relief but they are on my smaller end of size spectrum and I was looking for something I can put on and off easily without having to use soap. BTW, I just purchased the bangle a few minutes ago! I put in an offer yesterday and gojade accepted it today for $250. I hope I didn’t overpay…for some reason, my jade seller from my hometown (when I got to go there for a visit, I always went there) told me not to spend too much on carved bangles if for wearing purposes because they are carved to hide cracks and imperfection. Thus he suggested they would look beautiful after the work of a great artist but they might not have the integrity of the non carved bangle. Not sure any of this is true about the integrity thing since I never wear any bangle more than 3 months. I only notice that most carved bangle is glutinous and lower quality-nobody would want to carve an icy slab unless it has majors issues to be hidden.
This is an interesting thought and I have heard it before. It may be true but I think not all carved bangles now a days have imperfections or less integrity than non carved bangles. I purchased a carved bangle from my jeweler where I can see no imperfections or major issues that need to be hidden like cracks that might compromise it. Actually the carvings are raised on the piece so if there were imperfections I would be able to see it. My jeweler had a boulder and made 5 or 6 or these carved bangle with different themes. My bangles theme was cherry blossoms and plums/peaches. If they did not carve this bangle it would just be another plain bangle and not so interesting. I did look at it very closely and saw nothing that might be a flaw so if they cut off the carving it would be fine too. Here is the bangle. I think too a bangle will crack if you drop it whether it has a crack or not. Also, when you think about it, every single bangle came from a boulder that had cracks, flaws and major issues and what they did was carve out the imperfections to get your bangle. My favorite lavender bangle that had no cracks or imperfections cracked when I dropped it on the floor. I was devastated when it happened. So I think that in jade buying, you just have to buy what you like and wear it and enjoy it. Since we are not millionaires and can afford to buy priceless pieces everything we buy should be something we love and enjoy wearing.

fullsizeoutput_3111.jpeg

Last edited:
Silver, I like that icy carved bangle you have there! I agree that it does have little carving-unlikely to hide cracks but more to add interest. However, the jade quality itself is enough to make somebody stare at it from a distance already! Aren’t you conscious of wearing high relief bangles, especially those of better quality like this? As you said: Best quality jade still gets cracked if some force is asserted on it. I’m not a big fan of jade rings and jade bands precisely coz I’m clumsy and bumping around a lot- but somehowmy bf and I eventually (two months ago) decided to order this engagement ring set made with a jade cabochon and shipped to the US. The artist came up with all designs. My guy’s ring is just a match in setting and style but got no jade in it, of course. My jade cab is just average and it’s been a few weeks since the engagement party but I’m still conscious every time I reach in my purse or turn a door knob. It’s getting ridiculous!

Attachments

• 1CEEF503-CB78-43A8-8FA9-A9329B1D9AED.jpeg
    1CEEF503-CB78-43A8-8FA9-A9329B1D9AED.jpeg
    132.4 KB · Views: 21
  • D1FA413E-5E80-4A2F-9ED3-2DCE7B8C681D.jpeg
    D1FA413E-5E80-4A2F-9ED3-2DCE7B8C681D.jpeg
    113.5 KB · Views: 21
  • 4F699898-2326-40C0-8D99-F5B4E719C2A7.png
    4F699898-2326-40C0-8D99-F5B4E719C2A7.png
    579 KB · Views: 22
Silver, I like that icy carved bangle you have there! I agree that it does have little carving-unlikely to hide cracks but more to add interest. However, the jade quality itself is enough to make somebody stare at it from a distance already! Aren’t you conscious of wearing high relief bangles, especially those of better quality like this? As you said: Best quality jade still gets cracked if some force is asserted on it. I’m not a big fan of jade rings and jade bands precisely coz I’m clumsy and bumping around a lot- but somehowmy bf and I eventually (two months ago) decided to order this engagement ring set made with a jade cabochon and shipped to the US. The artist came up with all designs. My guy’s ring is just a match in setting and style but got no jade in it, of course. My jade cab is just average and it’s been a few weeks since the engagement party but I’m still conscious every time I reach in my purse or turn a door knob. It’s getting ridiculous!
OH MY Vicky! This set is beautiful. You and BF have great taste. My sister has a jade ring which is way thinner and she has worn it for over 40 years and it never cracked. I think jade is very strong. I get that you feel conscious about protecting it but even diamonds, rubies and sapphires can crack or chip. After my lavender cracked I learned that you can only be as careful as you can but more than that you have to enjoy wearing and love your jade. I also believe now that anything can be fixed or replaced but people and relationships are most important. You are fortunate indeed to have dear BF. That is the true gem. Everything else is just icing on the cake so enjoy wearing your jade. It is SO BEAUTIFUL!!!!!! I love the whole look. Speaking of clumsy, I am the worst. LOL My jeweler is always scolding me because she says I have to take better care of my jewelry. (She does the cleaning and maintenance work on my jewelry) The last time I brought it in she said that she couldn't believe that I had knocked it around so much and how much it needed to be cleaned. She also said that I shouldn't be wearing my ring when I put on hand cream because it gets into everything and makes a mess. LOL I really am the worst. Luckily jewelry cleans up very well. My compliments to your ring artist. You must be so proud to wear this beauty.

This is an interesting thought and I have heard it before. It may be true but I think not all carved bangles now a days have imperfections or less integrity than non carved bangles. I purchased a carved bangle from my jeweler where I can see no imperfections or major issues that need to be hidden like cracks that might compromise it. Actually the carvings are raised on the piece so if there were imperfections I would be able to see it. My jeweler had a boulder and made 5 or 6 or these carved bangle with different themes. My bangles theme was cherry blossoms and plums/peaches. If they did not carve this bangle it would just be another plain bangle and not so interesting. I did look at it very closely and saw nothing that might be a flaw so if they cut off the carving it would be fine too. Here is the bangle. I think too a bangle will crack if you drop it whether it has a crack or not. Also, when you think about it, every single bangle came from a boulder that had cracks, flaws and major issues and what they did was carve out the imperfections to get your bangle. My favorite lavender bangle that had no cracks or imperfections cracked when I dropped it on the floor. I was devastated when it happened. So I think that in jade buying, you just have to buy what you like and wear it and enjoy it. Since we are not millionaires and can afford to buy priceless pieces everything we buy should be something we love and enjoy wearing.

View attachment 5117456

Thanks for your words of wisdom :biggrin: