Perfume Chat Thread

I prefer Eau Sauvage between the two, though I think Eau Sauvage Parfum is better than the Eau Sauvage EdT. Unfortunately, Eau Sauvage Parfum is trickier to get since it's only officially sold overseas. I considered getting it last time I was abroad, but I already had five other bottles of perfume that I was bringing back, so I had stop myself.

I love how Cologne Bigarade opens like you're biting into or peeling a fresh orange, but beyond that, it loses me a bit.
I love that opening of cologne bigarade too! And agree re MFK.

Thank you for the info re sauvage edt versus parfum. @Shopfranceinc can sometimes get fragrance from abroad and is super wonderful to deal with if you need stuff. (At least pre covid).

Got my second ScentBird subscription scent today. Vanille Abricot, by Comptoir Sud Pacifique. Absolutely love it! Such a beautiful scent! Truly delightful! This one went even better than my first one last month. I'm sure I'll hit a dud I don't like at some point, but so far so good. And even when I get a few duds it will cost me a lot less than a full bottle. I just wish more scents were available to sample free in stores. Are there any stores where you guys have been successful finding and sampling scents? So far I've only had luck and Nordstrom's, Sephora, and Ulta, and they don't have the niche scents.

I just wish more scents were available to sample free in stores. Are there any stores where you guys have been successful finding and sampling scents? So far I've only had luck and Nordstrom's, Sephora, and Ulta, and they don't have the niche scents.
Well, here in Chicago, we're lucky enough to have shops that carry a lot of niche fragrances, so it's not too hard. If I'm really dying to sample something, I can always just order from a decant site.

I have just barely begun to become interested in fragrances. Many people become anosmic to their own scents and often-used fragrances and overspray, which turned me off to the whole idea for a long time. But I've been working my way through the TF scents; given that I have no real point of reference, I cannot say whether they are worth the price or not, but they are helping me to determine the scent families I am interested in. I very much prefer genderless scents, as most "women's" fragrances seem overpowering and sneeze-inducing. I am sure that is not the case and that I have simply sampled the wrong ones, but that's what led me to the TF line in the first place.

As it stands, I am most attracted to woody scents so far - Oud Wood and Santal Blush. Knowing that, I may now be able to branch out into other brands.

I have just barely begun to become interested in fragrances. Many people become anosmic to their own scents and often-used fragrances and overspray, which turned me off to the whole idea for a long time. But I've been working my way through the TF scents; given that I have no real point of reference, I cannot say whether they are worth the price or not, but they are helping me to determine the scent families I am interested in. I very much prefer genderless scents, as most "women's" fragrances seem overpowering and sneeze-inducing. I am sure that is not the case and that I have simply sampled the wrong ones, but that's what led me to the TF line in the first place.

As it stands, I am most attracted to woody scents so far - Oud Wood and Santal Blush. Knowing that, I may now be able to branch out into other brands.

Concern about becoming anosmic is one reason I have a variety of scents and don't wear the same one more than a few days in a row.

Good luck finding more woody scents you like in other brands.

Got my second ScentBird subscription scent today. Vanille Abricot, by Comptoir Sud Pacifique. Absolutely love it! Such a beautiful scent! Truly delightful! This one went even better than my first one last month. I'm sure I'll hit a dud I don't like at some point, but so far so good. And even when I get a few duds it will cost me a lot less than a full bottle. I just wish more scents were available to sample free in stores. Are there any stores where you guys have been successful finding and sampling scents? So far I've only had luck and Nordstrom's, Sephora, and Ulta, and they don't have the niche scents.
The stores that have niche perfumes are not located near me, so I usually order from decant companies. Currently I'm on a sample no-buy since I have a backlog of samples to get through. I am not planning to order any samples for the rest of the year.

Any samples you're especially excited to try?
Among the samples I have, I'm excited to try Tubereuse Criminelle by Serge Lutens. Some of the samples I have are those that were included with perfume orders over the years (so not necessarily those that I ordered, but I will still try them at some point). I want to try Le Lion from the Chanel exclusifs. Also, Vol de Nuit parfum by Guerlain since I have been debating ordering that one. My to-sample perfume list is quite long and includes scents from houses like Zoologist, Masque Milano, Slumberhouse, Rogue Perfumery, Ormonde Jayne and a few more from Frederic Malle, to name a few perfume houses. Maybe I will get to them next year. What are you keen to sample?

Among the samples I have, I'm excited to try Tubereuse Criminelle by Serge Lutens. Some of the samples I have are those that were included with perfume orders over the years (so not necessarily those that I ordered, but I will still try them at some point). I want to try Le Lion from the Chanel exclusifs. Also, Vol de Nuit parfum by Guerlain since I have been debating ordering that one. My to-sample perfume list is quite long and includes scents from houses like Zoologist, Masque Milano, Slumberhouse, Rogue Perfumery, Ormonde Jayne and a few more from Frederic Malle, to name a few perfume houses. Maybe I will get to them next year. What are you keen to sample?

Looks like a great mix of Houses and scents. A couple rose scents I want to try are Ellie Saab Essence No. 1 Rose, Annick Goutal Rose Absolue; but don't think I'll be able to get samples of either of them. There are a couple more from Kyse Perfumes I want to try. Given how much I love Comptoir Sud Pacifique Vanille Abricot I'm looking forward to trying their Amour De Cacao as my July scent. Next month I get Anna Sui Fantasia Mermaid which I'm curious about.

Reactions: Purses & Perfumes
Hi everyone,
I can't say which perfume house is favourite. My friend calls me Guerlain lady but I really love rose scents. I have enough rear pearls in my collection.
Niche perfumes are my choice.
I like some perfumers as N Lorson, L.Harris, LMaffei, J.C.Ellena and J.Bedel of course.
I have bought and tested more than 50 samples this year. Some scents are great, other ones are rather boring.

Looks like a great mix of Houses and scents. A couple rose scents I want to try are Ellie Saab Essence No. 1 Rose, Annick Goutal Rose Absolue; but don't think I'll be able to get samples of either of them. There are a couple more from Kyse Perfumes I want to try. Given how much I love Comptoir Sud Pacifique Vanille Abricot I'm looking forward to trying their Amour De Cacao as my July scent. Next month I get Anna Sui Fantasia Mermaid which I'm curious about.
Sounds like you like a true rose scent. I haven't tried Rose Absolue but I have a few other Annick Goutal fragrances. One of the prettiest true rose scents is Aerin Rose de Grasse. I tried it quite a few years ago but I remember it as being lovely. I like that some of their fragrances are offered in rollerball format, which is a nice way to try them out without having to commit to a full size bottle. Rose de Grasse is easy to wear and nice if you are not looking for too much development in the fragrance.

Also, Une Rose by Frederic Malle is a beautiful rose with depth. I also like Serge Lutens Sa Majeste la Rose, which makes me think of a lush pink rose with green leaves and a hint of honey in the base.

Last edited: