2020 resolution - shopping my own bag and wallet collection. Any one else?

That looks so good!Perfect for fall season (even though I don’t make seasonal changes). Love the “real“ label! Your son is adorable!
Did I say that I do love me a plaid/tartan?! I Was reading about Scottish tartans and think it’s so neat that these old clans designed their unique patterns. It must have been designed by the womenfolk! I wish I had a family tartan. I have to share this super nifty book

View attachment 4840242View attachment 4840241
Here it is! You’ll have to post your scarf!

View attachment 4840441
Yes. At least where I have a house.

In Scotland outsiders or peacemakers either wear a plain black or grey kilt or the Flower od Scotland (purple and green).

Highland granite (shades of grey)

You can easily get away with the Black Watch (dark blue and green) or the Royal Stuart (predominantly red) because of their links to royalty

Some tartans have been made up commercially like the Vivienne Westwood tartan (similar to the Black Watch but with a pink stripe) and some of the kilt makers / weavers have created commercial trans of their own like the Princess Diana tartan (soft pinks or soft blues).

If you have Irish ancestry you can wear the national Irish tartan or check which region your family came from

You can see if you have a sept (affiliated name to a clan) or create your own

I've bought some mini kilts from Lochcarron before. Whatever you weave or buy make sure it's pure wool and made in Scotland, that need all the work at the moment, so many businesses in trouble.

Two of them, actually (two branches of the family, one far north, one near Edinburgh).

This is the one that needs money, for obvious reasons: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Castle_Sinclair_Girnigoe

It looks like that largely because the Campbells took it over at one point, so the Sinclairs retreated to the woods AND SHELLED THEIR OWN CASTLE. Violently self-destructive for purposes of vengeance? That's my fam. :rolleyes:

The other one isn't in much better shape, but while that branch of the family was kind enough to give us a walkthrough they weren't otherwise part of the Gathering and I don't think they took in any of the haul. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Roslin_Castle It's also associated with Rosslyn Chapel, yes, that one: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rosslyn_Chapel Conspiracy theories ahoy!

Oh, and then there's the Castle of Mey, https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Castle_of_Mey , but the Queen Mother took it over as a private residence in the 50s so I imagine there's no need for the clan to raise money for it. ;)

The Sinclairs are really a fascinating clan, but I try not to get tied too much into it as an identity, as there are probably millions and my family is far removed from Scotland.

Oh, as for organization, my mom's the one in touch. There's a website: https://www.clansinclairusa.org/home.html (see? the tartan's LOUD), email mailing list, and monthly paper newsletter. And of course they have booths at every Highland Games in the US.
I have been enjoying the clan, tartan and castle discussions (clicking links and googling) so fascinating! I looked up my husband’s Irish heritage coat of arms and tartan, too!

And now I feel super guilty for straying way off-topic. I did buy a bag last week, the Longchamp Le Pliage Cuir in light gray. It looks white in this photo, and it is indeed a bit lighter than I would have liked, but it's gray. The whole family - pebble, dark red, gray, purple, and black:

View attachment 4841547

They changed the hardware to gunmetal and shortened and widened the strap, which annoys the "matched set" part of me but I understand the changes. This is my "throw on and run errands" purse, so I'll miss being able to use the strap crossbody. The SA said the new strap is much better as a shoulder strap - if it doesn't work out I'll look for some kind of replacement strap. Without branding (ahem).

The pebble has to go, either to my mom or to a resale site - I haven't yet decided. It really is a nice color - for someone else.
Stunning LPC family!

How impressive so many of you belong to a clan and have their own tartan!
I know....sadly I have no clan and no tartan. I am though part of the TPF clan and in particular, this thread, which is my favorite and has my best pals! So fun that our bags divert us onto so many adventures/discussions. Like who’da thunk that Cookiefiend’s new wallet would reveal so much of our heritage?

I know it's old school and unfashionably mainstream but the Estee Lauder Advanced Night Repair Supercharged Complex is good for moisture - it just works. Don't be tempted by the others especially the one that's twice the price (if that one still exists).

For tired, puffy, irritated or allergy eyes you could try the Body Shop Elderflower unperformed Eye Gel. It's relatively inexpensive and very cooling. I've been using this for a long time.

Don't do La Mer's unless you have seriously dry, dry skin.

The best thing we can do for eyes is to get off the computer and that's the hardest of all :biggrin:
Another reason why this is the best all-around thread. Is this the Estée Lauder in the brown bottle? I could research but I am smoke and heat weary..definitely going to seek out the elderflower cooling gel. Thanks!

Well now - I wouldn't say that I actually 'belong' to a clan, but I do indeed have Scottish ancestors!
On my grandfather's side, Thomas Mitchell came to America in 1690. It is much easier to follow the male line because their surnames didn't change.
On my grandmother's side, we're not sure when they came to America, but my grandmother was not allowed to join the DAR because apparently someone (pretty sure it was Templeton) fought for the British in the Revolutionary War.
Really? I know they've gotten a lot more relaxed in the past few years (I was able to join by simply citing my mother's DAR # and including my birth cert, as opposed to having to redo the whole geneology) but I thought the only real requirement was one ancestor who fought on the "right" side. Wacky.

The Pennsylvania Sinclairs are not my/mom's ancestor - a slightly tipsy relative once remarked that they didn't fight on either side (because Quakers) but sold arms to both (because capitalists) ...

Wow it’s so cool that you can trace back so far. Do you ever watch PBS “finding your roots” The show focuses on celebrities and uses genealogical records and DNA technology to trace roots and find common ancestors and distant cousins. For DAR, do you gals have gatherings?

Yes. At least where I have a house.

In Scotland outsiders or peacemakers either wear a plain black or grey kilt or the Flower od Scotland (purple and green).

Highland granite (shades of grey)

You can easily get away with the Black Watch (dark blue and green) or the Royal Stuart (predominantly red) because of their links to royalty

Some tartans have been made up commercially like the Vivienne Westwood tartan (similar to the Black Watch but with a pink stripe) and some of the kilt makers / weavers have created commercial trans of their own like the Princess Diana tartan (soft pinks or soft blues).

If you have Irish ancestry you can wear the national Irish tartan or check which region your family came from

You can see if you have a sept (affiliated name to a clan) or create your own

I've bought some mini kilts from Lochcarron before. Whatever you weave or buy make sure it's pure wool and made in Scotland, that need all the work at the moment, so many businesses in trouble.

Well phooey to that. Grey or black? What’s the fun in that? I went to the link you sent...fascinating history of the “warlike” highlanders. So lowlanders didn’t have tartans? It’s like military garb! I wonder how they feel about tartan/plaid in fashion? I desperately wanted these 2! Like aren’t these just the bomb?! I think I’ve mentioned my very healthy pretend lifestyle? Well I totally would have worn these for my plaid party. Le sigh..just divine.
.F8E86DDF-CC39-49AD-B068-99F7EE1E35FF.jpeg0E7D0873-D896-4D54-BD1B-C1AEE57BFA80.jpeg

Yay! Good for you. I have been severely lazy about skin care and just started exploring options. I just got a retinoid and I’m looking at it like it’s a snake. :huh: I’ll start using it intermittently very sparingly. I’ve heard a lot about the benefits of vitamin c and plan to add that next. What benefits are you seeing from using the one you have?
Oh, vitamin C is amazing. I also use a prescription retinol. My dermatologist recommended both of these. I buy vitamin C with other things in it upon Her recommendation (feurilic Acid? and vitamin E) and it is an incredible skin brightener. When I use it regularly I have had people actually comment on my skin looking better. It brings out an evenness and glow—hard to explain but worth the investment IMHO