What's your unpopular jewelry opinion?

You chose a thread that has been marked for a discussion that isn't going to be about things people like. And - based on your replies to posts by other users in this thread - you are policing it based on how you think people should be allowed to express their opinions.

I particularly dislike the Love collection because it is virtually just a series of markings on a plain gold band. There is no real workmanship, no design, etc, in my opinion, that justifies a very obvious multiple of 10x+. It's all about having the brand's markings. And if someone buys that, then to me, they're either rich enough to afford paying that (great for them), or they have poor sense. I'm blunt, so I use the term stupid, which is not vulgar

Just like to you, saying that someone has poor sense for making a certain buying decision is in bad taste.

I don't like Rolexes either and I wouldn't call anyone lacking in sense for buying one, because it's so much more than just markings on a plain gold band. So I disagree that I'm being childish - I'm not saying things are s***y just because I don't like them.

I actually like Rose des Vents and VCA jewelry, but I'm not slamming those, am I? So I disagree with you that my posts indicate that I'm envious of owners of the Love collection (and I think the word you are looking for is spiteful, not envious)

Even if I wanted to be envious or spiteful of people who owned jewelry, the Love collection doesn't quite cut it in terms of rarity or beauty or value.

I'll concede that I'm being judgmental and possibly a little supercilious, but so are you, just that you feel you have the moral high ground to make assumptions on my character or reasons for making certain statements (oh, she must be envious / spiteful because she's saying that people are stupid for buying it!). If anything, you're taking this personally and making it personal

Feel free to continue to do so but I've explained my reasoning and won't be replying to you further as it's just going to keep going in circles.

The only other poster I replied to directly was Tremere, who was also rude. I don’t think calling people “really stupid” goes hand in hand with expressing your opinion on a jewellery piece. All the stuff you said in your last post regarding the markings on the Love etc - fair enough. As you said, this thread was created to express unpopular opinions regarding jewellery. But it wasn’t created (or was it?) to call people names and put them down for liking a specific brand/type of jewellery.

Anyway, as you said we are just going around in circles. No point discussing it any further.

Tremere said:
- I suffer when I see people having lots of Alhambra, Love or JUC pieces, when for they same money they could have got a high-end, one-of-a-kind piece from any luxury designer.
Agree with your conclusion but I don't suffer. I just think they're either really rich or really stupid or both (sorry lol). (Quote by Kfka_btsea but couldn’t figure out how to do multi quote)

Thought this ^ was funny and I think @earthygirl thought so too. @Kfka_btsea was somewhat sarcastic tongue in cheek humor in response to Tremeres opinion that for the same money they could have gotten a high end one of a kind piece which IS an unpopular TPF opinion. If we were all in one room exchanging verbal quips, jokes or opinions, we’d hopefully shrug some stuff off And not take offense as readily.

Agree with @BigPurseSue re moonstones, but somehow I seem to fixate on ones that cost more than diamonds (a variety of emoticons could go here) JMO

Edit: during covid, I fell down the VCA and Verdura Belperron rabbit hole, so it just goes to show that when you spend enough time on TOF, sometimes your opinions can change :biggrin:

Last edited:
1. Branded jewellery is way overpriced, gems‘ quality not superb and they are often heated/otherwise enhanced
...still buying branded though (have a soft spot for Pomellato *sigh*), I can’t help it :giggle:
2. Rolex is cheesy (ups!)
3. Why would you buy something that’s only 50% gold? (as in 14k) :confused1:

im not being serious guys! (or am I?:graucho:)

Agree with your conclusion but I don't suffer. I just think they're either really rich or really stupid or both (sorry lol). (Quote by Kfka_btsea but couldn’t figure out how to do multi quote)

Thought this ^ was funny and I think @earthygirl thought so too. @Kfka_btsea was somewhat sarcastic tongue in cheek humor in response to Tremeres opinion that for the same money they could have gotten a high end one of a kind piece which IS an unpopular TPF opinion. If we were all in one room exchanging verbal quips, jokes or opinions, we’d hopefully shrug some stuff off And not take offense as readily.

Agree with @BigPurseSue re moonstones, but somehow I seem to fixate on ones that cost more than diamonds (a variety of emoticons could go here) JMO
Yes... I thought it was funny. I think people in general are just under more stress, have more responsibilities with the pandemic and children being home and all..so it seems we’re all a little more sensitive. We’re all strangers posting in a forum for fun...let’s try to keep things in perspective and not take one another’s comments so seriously!

3. Why would you buy something that’s only 50% gold? (as in 14k) :confused1:

This is my pet gripe as well!
Though it extends to the popular modern jewelry brands that sprung up more recently like Monica Vinader with items which are gold vermeil, gold plated, gold rolled, or gold filled etc. For that price or a little more, it's possible to get solid gold (18k preowned, when unbranded, sometimes doesn't cost much more! Otherwise Etsy offers a fab selection with such materials at the fraction of the price). The way these brands market to girls through celeb campaigns and influencers, calling it demi-fine jewelry etc just annoys me.

Yes some of the designs are nice, but they're overrated and not worth it at all imo.

This is my pet gripe as well!
Though it extends to the popular modern jewelry brands that sprung up more recently like Monica Vinader with items which are gold vermeil, gold plated, gold rolled, or gold filled etc. For that price or a little more, it's possible to get solid gold (18k preowned, when unbranded, sometimes doesn't cost much more! Otherwise Etsy offers a fab selection with such materials at the fraction of the price). The way these brands market to girls through celeb campaigns and influencers, calling it demi-fine jewelry etc just annoys me.

Yes some of the designs are nice, but they're overrated and not worth it at all imo.
Sadly yes fast food, fast clothes, fast jewellery...one season and ends up in a bin :sad:
Buying jewellery to keep ‘forever’ is not a priority for younger generations - could be our another unpopular opinion :giggle:

Earrings and bracelets are the most lost jewelry, I agree!

1. no ’Official‘ engagement ring per se
I’ve never lost an earring or bracelet, but I have lost more rings than I can count. Particularly Engagement, wedding and eternity bands. (however, DH doesn’t hold it against me bc he once threw out my engagement sapphire with the newspapers). So I had some older rings from family repurposed into a small rotation of every day rings that stand in. I ended up with a travel eternity band that I wear a lot and hasn’t been lost or misplaced once lol.
2. Love base metals with great design and mix with precious all the time (didn’t mean to rhyme)
I don’t see any problem wearing base material or mixing base with precious though i think contemporary designers are a really poor choice of value (unless you love the design so much it doesnt matter). This pendant, possibly brass, is by an artist named Miguel Berrocal and it’s one of my favorites. I mix it with a steel IWC Portugueser, JLC reverso, white gold breguet or old gold Rolex, and diamond studs; a leather phw CDC cuff. Sometimes I layer with the necklace part of a two piece aquamarine necklace and pendant/brooch set (Second photo) Or wear it layered with a big grey black south sea pearl necklace with a big pearl ring. it’s jewelry. I want to have fun with it And have it reflect my personality or style. (And yes, it’s on a hardware store lanyard). my mom has the same one and she had a jeweler fashion a gold chain. To each her own. :biggrin:
3. I used to match my jewelry to bag hw, but now that I’m older, I like the mix.
4. generally, with pearls, I prefer large south sea (mine are older and I didn’t spend a fortune), but sometimes I like small pearls mixed with base metals or jade (of dubious quality). My ‘real‘ pearls are posted in the pearl lovers thread, but here are the tiny ones with Jade, base metal or fashion bits. Fun and relatively cheap

D47508B6-1E63-45E0-8C06-34F68ED34273.jpeg8BE966A0-5889-455D-9EB1-9633F22AB016.jpeg5DE1C779-455D-40A3-A2EB-0045205851FC.jpegDB6D4A8C-DAAB-4FB3-99BA-9908D7E566AD.jpeg

1. no ’Official‘ engagement ring per se
I’ve never lost an earring or bracelet, but I have lost more rings than I can count. Particularly Engagement, wedding and eternity bands. (however, DH doesn’t hold it against me bc he once threw out my engagement sapphire with the newspapers). So I had some older rings from family repurposed into a small rotation of every day rings that stand in. I ended up with a travel eternity band that I wear a lot and hasn’t been lost or misplaced once lol.
2. Love base metals with great design and mix with precious all the time (didn’t mean to rhyme)
I don’t see any problem wearing base material or mixing base with precious though i think contemporary designers are a really poor choice of value (unless you love the design so much it doesnt matter). This pendant, possibly brass, is by an artist named Miguel Berrocal and it’s one of my favorites. I mix it with a steel IWC Portugueser, JLC reverso, white gold breguet or old gold Rolex, and diamond studs; a leather phw CDC cuff. Sometimes I layer with the necklace part of a two piece aquamarine necklace and pendant/brooch set (Second photo) Or wear it layered with a big grey black south sea pearl necklace with a big pearl ring. it’s jewelry. I want to have fun with it And have it reflect my personality or style. (And yes, it’s on a hardware store lanyard). my mom has the same one and she had a jeweler fashion a gold chain. To each her own. :biggrin:
3. I used to match my jewelry to bag hw, but now that I’m older, I like the mix.
4. generally, with pearls, I prefer large south sea (mine are older and I didn’t spend a fortune), but sometimes I like small pearls mixed with base metals or jade (of dubious quality). My ‘real‘ pearls are posted in the pearl lovers thread, but here are the tiny ones with Jade, base metal or fashion bits. Fun and relatively cheap

View attachment 4838016View attachment 4838017View attachment 4838030View attachment 4838031
Your Birkin :heart: