What's your unpopular jewelry opinion?

I'm on the cusp of millennials and gen Z.

Jewelry companies aren't stupid. They know most people my age aren't well versed with fine jewelry, so they take advantage of that lack of knowledge. They send their over-priced products to fashion bloggers and influencers who tell their followers that so and so sells "affordable gold jewelry." Since influencers tend to post something new every day too, it can make the general audience feel that they should be buying constantly to keep up the same image as their beloved influencer. Buying "forever" pieces are then seen as unfashionable. I think it's ironic that a lot of people my age say they care about sustainability, but purchase habits don't always reflect that. I also don't understand why people my age feel the need to emulate wealth, and then experience social anxiety if they can't actually afford it. I think social media can cause a very toxic and distorted view on norms.

I’m 33 and definitely can agree with this. The idea of “affordable luxury” keeps getting pushed by newer jewelry companies and it makes me cringe because I know plated jewelry won't last. They also keep advertising “waterproof” jewelry, which is cringey because it’s usually overpriced, steel-coated gold. I stopped buying Forever 21 jewelry and started buying gold filled pieces a decade ago and now I won’t even buy that... it lasts for a while, but I’d prefer stuff that holds more value. I have a few friends that also only buy the real stuff, but I know we’re in the minority because there’s still this idea that it’s all expensive, even though there are affordable options. And sometimes you have to save up for something special, and that’s perfectly ok!

I’m 30 now and when I started collecting in my early 20s, I didn’t know much about jewelry. My first purchases were gold items from Tiffany and Cartier, since I felt they were “safe” purchases.

As others previously mentioned, I quickly realized that custom bench jewelry offered not only a “better” value but also offered complete personalization including items that aren’t commercially viable. (E.g. A gold & silver bookmark with mother of pearl and lapis inserts).

- Hermes sterling silver jewellery is severely overpriced.
- The small JUC bracelets feel flimsy and not worth the price.
- Paying extra for Cartier white gold is not worth it as it can look dull and scratch easily.
- The best Cartier ring of all is definitely the Trinity in the classic size.
- VCA Alhambra collection looks best in onyx, grey MOP or guilloche... or pave if you want to spend more.
- Not a big fan of fashion watches (i.e. Chanel J12, Dior VIII, etc).

Peeve: anything done to market lesser quality stuff as high end--"chocolate" diamonds, Tiffany rubedo, etc. White gold falls into this category for me--when you wear rhodium-plated WG or rhodium-plated silver (think Macy's silver), you're looking at the same metal. Sadly, 14k also falls into this category (for me)--58% "gold" isn't worth investing in, especially when the color is so tinny compared to 18k.

Btw, it's a GREAT time to buy platinum--there've been long market stretches where platinum was costlier than gold, but today gold is at $1,860-ish and platinum is at $860-ish. Mene's a good source for platinum b/c it's based on current metal price. I love platinum b/c I like the soft gray color.

Other perhaps unpopular opinion: We shouldn't collect with an eye to passing down to our heirs, because most people will wear a few pieces to remind them of lost loved ones and the rest will either sit unworn or be sold. When my mother died, I told my younger sisters: select what you love, sell the rest, and put it towards your house downpayments. And they did!

I would say vintage jewelry > designer jewelry in terms of uniqueness and craftmanship. I have some beautiful antique pieces that are totally one of a kind and even though they come pre-loved, I think they are extra special.

I go back and forth on whether I want a Cartier Love bracelet for the design or if marketing has convinced me I need it for partial brand recognition. This is something I struggle with and I don't want to buy for the wrong reasons. I do agree that it's a very popular clout focused design these days to own and flaunt, I change my mind all the time wondering if that's for me but do think it's so lovely!

VCA Alhambra and Cartier Clash I don't like at all, I think the Alhambra is boring (why can't they make different shapes and not just different colors?) and the Clash seems so clunky and sloppy! But just my personal preference.

This is my pet gripe as well!
Though it extends to the popular modern jewelry brands that sprung up more recently like Monica Vinader with items which are gold vermeil, gold plated, gold rolled, or gold filled etc. For that price or a little more, it's possible to get solid gold (18k preowned, when unbranded, sometimes doesn't cost much more! Otherwise Etsy offers a fab selection with such materials at the fraction of the price). The way these brands market to girls through celeb campaigns and influencers, calling it demi-fine jewelry etc just annoys me.

Yes some of the designs are nice, but they're overrated and not worth it at all imo.
Strictly speaking, 14K gold is 58.5%, which is closer to 60% than 50% but you have to remember, gold is a soft metal, the higher the purity, the faster it gets worn down, so 14K makes sense for items that get a lot of wear (or just get platinum).
I never understood why people buy gold plated stuff though.

I'm a gemstone kind of girl. I'm stalking opals online, my dream is to find the perfect one, get it polished and set into a pendant or a ring. There's just something about taking something from nature and molding it into a wearable piece. I don't get the same feeling of satisfaction when I buy from Tiffany or something, but I do have an obsession with YSL arty rings. If I buy high end costume jewellery you bet it's gonna be in your face and not some understated piece.