What's your unpopular jewelry opinion?

My own opinions:

Lots of "new and modern" jewelry brands have sprung up over the last 4 to 5 years, offering "ethical" / "affordable" / etc jewelry, like semi precious gems or lower grade precious gems at the 2k to 5k range. I really detest these because their real margins aren't too far off from retail stores. It's a ripoff imo.

There are newer ones like aurate which focus more on simpler gold jewelry and seem more transparent, and you can calculate the cost of their labour and design.

Bluenile all the way for very simple gold and silver jewelry. Or your trusted jeweler. At the end of the day, its still the same element you're buying.

Happy to have an estate / pre-owned ring as my E-ring.

Agree with your conclusion but I don't suffer. I just think they're either really rich or really stupid or both (sorry lol).

Almost everyone I know of who owns one of these doesn't own the real thing. Most of these people aren't poor, some are from families with tens of millions of assets. They either custom make one out of real gold (and I might add, higher gold content than the original), or they buy a cheap $20 one.

It's so bad that one of my friends decided against buying a real one because she felt that there were so many fakes out there that people would probably just assume that hers was a fake.

Which also provides evidence towards your point that people mostly buy it for the brand. And I guess when Cartier figures that out they'll just raise prices even more, even though nothing about the product inherently justifies it.

I also think the Love collection is ugly and is a case of less is not more. It's just blah. Like seriously Cartier, try harder. It looks like a $600 gold bracelet that you can find in any jewelry store.

I do like the VCA Alhambra though. And Dior's Rose Des Vents.

I love Dior's Rose des Vents. I have the earrings, bracelet, ring and small necklace in white gold and diamonds. I'm also thinking of buying the large necklace in white gold and diamonds, but it might be too much, I don't know.

I love Dior's Rose des Vents. I have the earrings, bracelet, ring and small necklace in white gold and diamonds. I'm also thinking of buying the large necklace in white gold and diamonds, but it might be too much, I don't know.

ooh your collection sounds fab! Dyou have any pictures of it?

I’m actually not sure what the large necklace looks like, there seems to be several different types - ie. multi layered chokers, etc. Dyou have a link of it?

personally I love the malachite, but white gold is probably the most classic style and the easiest to wear with anything

Reactions: Bagatha Christie
I’m not crazy about the love bracelet or VCA for myself, but they look great on others.
im not as much a diamond person as a colored stone person and have discovered this only recently
I thought I was a white gold or platinum person (I love phw on bags) but apparently rose gold looks best on my skin (Very new discovery)
I love Verdura and Suzanne Belperron design (Verdura produces licensed a Belperron reproductions). The latter may be forever out of my price range, but I will hopefully start with one or two Verdura pieces. neither seem popular on TPF.
I possibly love wearing large watches more than any of the above.
Ooh , I also love big watches! You must post in the wristwatch thread!

My unpopular jewelry opinion is that stud earrings—diamond studs, pearl studs, whatever—are a total yawn. I think small hoops or drop earrings are much more interesting and flattering. It’s commonly said you “can’t go wrong with studs” but I personally think you can. I know I’m in the minority on this, but not everyone buys into the same jewelry uniform.

I agree... and I have both kinds. My workplace is fairly formal so the (pearl only, no money for the diamonds) studs go there, though I wear the bigger, dramatic ones in casual / smart casual settings too.

Love hoops outside of work - they can also be a uniform I feel. hoops + silk cami + jeans

Agree with your conclusion but I don't suffer. I just think they're either really rich or really stupid or both (sorry lol).

Almost everyone I know of who owns one of these doesn't own the real thing. Most of these people aren't poor, some are from families with tens of millions of assets. They either custom make one out of real gold (and I might add, higher gold content than the original), or they buy a cheap $20 one.

It's so bad that one of my friends decided against buying a real one because she felt that there were so many fakes out there that people would probably just assume that hers was a fake.

Which also provides evidence towards your point that people mostly buy it for the brand. And I guess when Cartier figures that out they'll just raise prices even more, even though nothing about the product inherently justifies it.

I also think the Love collection is ugly and is a case of less is not more. It's just blah. Like seriously Cartier, try harder. It looks like a $600 gold bracelet that you can find in any jewelry store.

I do like the VCA Alhambra though. And Dior's Rose Des Vents.

“I just think they're either really rich or really stupid or both (sorry lol).“

Perhaps you should look at getting rid of that giant chip on your shoulder instead of insulting others on a public forum, when you know full well that a very high percentage of people who will read your post fall into the category you have described of wearing recognisable pieces from luxury brands such as VCA, Cartier etc.

You can state you dislike something without calling someone stupid or making assumptions about their financial status. Honestly, it just makes you sound really unpleasant and envious and neither are nice traits.

“I just think they're either really rich or really stupid or both (sorry lol).“

Perhaps you should look at getting rid of that giant chip on your shoulder instead of insulting others on a public forum, when you know full well that a very high percentage of people who will read your post fall into the category you have described of wearing recognisable pieces from luxury brands such as VCA, Cartier etc.

You can state you dislike something without calling someone stupid or making assumptions about their financial status. Honestly, it just makes you sound really unpleasant and envious and neither are nice traits.

Opinions include judgements. This thread is already titled unpopular jewelry opinions. Do you see me posting in a Cartier thread that I think the Love Collection is ugly? No, so get off my back.

I guess I could use euphemisms and say that I believe that it shows either “lack ofsense” and / or “abundance of financial resources”, but my opinion doesn’t change.

Also, if you bother reading to the end of my post, you can see that my opinion was directed specifically at the Love collection. And that I like VCA and Dior Rose des Vents. So, no, it isn’t insulting the vast majority of people in this forum, or even this sub forum, and it doesn’t indicate a dislike of people who want to / can buy expensive jewelry. There’s a lot more to the expensive jewelry world than those brands mentioned anyway.

You’re entitled to your opinion that my comments reflect that I’m not a nice person and that I’m unpleasant or envious (although for the record, I am not envious of anyone with the Love collection. I’m more than happy to have not spent money there)

and I’m in turn entitled to think that you’re out of control when you feel personally attacked by a stranger’s opinion on a piece of your jewelry, on the Internet.

if you like it then buy it, wear it, post about it, whatever. My opinion shouldn’t affect you like that.

Opinions include judgements. This thread is already titled unpopular jewelry opinions. Do you see me posting in a Cartier thread that I think the Love Collection is ugly? No, so get off my back.

I guess I could use euphemisms and say that I believe that it shows either “lack ofsense” and / or “abundance of financial resources”, but my opinion doesn’t change.

Also, if you bother reading to the end of my post, you can see that my opinion was directed specifically at the Love collection. And that I like VCA and Dior Rose des Vents. So, no, it isn’t insulting the vast majority of people in this forum, or even this sub forum, and it doesn’t indicate a dislike of people who want to / can buy expensive jewelry. There’s a lot more to the expensive jewelry world than those brands mentioned anyway.

You’re entitled to your opinion that my comments reflect that I’m not a nice person and that I’m unpleasant or envious (although for the record, I am not envious of anyone with the Love collection. I’m more than happy to have not spent money there)

and I’m in turn entitled to think that you’re out of control when you feel personally attacked by a stranger’s opinion on a piece of your jewelry, on the Internet.

if you like it then buy it, wear it, post about it, whatever. My opinion shouldn’t affect you like that.

So why call anyone “really stupid”? You can attempt to justify your comments as much as you like but the fact is that they were/are very rude. You can ‘vent’ your dislike of the Love or any other collection as much as you like given the title of the thread, but throwing insults around just makes you look childish - and yes, smacks of envy. I don’t particularly like Rolex watches but wouldn’t call anyone “really stupid” for buying one. I would just state that they are not to my taste and I would rather spend the same money on something different. Ditto a few other watch or jewellery brands that aren’t to my personal liking.

And I couldn’t give a toss as to whether you like my jewellery, be it Cartier or any other brand/non brand! I don’t even know you! I just think its in really bad taste to call people stupid or wasteful with their money for buying something that you don’t like. Everyone else that has commented on this thread was able to do so in a polite way so why can’t you?

I’m not crazy about the love bracelet or VCA for myself, but they look great on others.
im not as much a diamond person as a colored stone person and have discovered this only recently
I thought I was a white gold or platinum person (I love phw on bags) but apparently rose gold looks best on my skin (Very new discovery)
I love Verdura and Suzanne Belperron design (Verdura produces licensed a Belperron reproductions). The latter may be forever out of my price range, but I will hopefully start with one or two Verdura pieces. neither seem popular on TPF.
I possibly love wearing large watches more than any of the above.
just looked up suzanne belperron...wow!!! new obsession :loveeyes:

personally, I'm not the biggest fan of the cartier love for me, but i think on other people it can look fabulous!! i love vca as well, including alhambra, but i do want to expand more into their other less-known collections like the rose de noel or lotus. jewelry is just jewelry, i wouldn't judge someone's character on it.

So why call anyone “really stupid”? You can attempt to justify your comments as much as you like but the fact is that they were/are very rude. You can ‘vent’ your dislike of the Love or any other collection as much as you like given the title of the thread, but throwing insults around just makes you look childish - and yes, smacks of envy. I don’t particularly like Rolex watches but wouldn’t call anyone “really stupid” for buying one. I would just state that they are not to my taste and I would rather spend the same money on something different. Ditto a few other watch or jewellery brands that aren’t to my personal liking.

And I couldn’t give a toss as to whether you like my jewellery, be it Cartier or any other brand/non brand! I don’t even know you! I just think its in really bad taste to call people stupid or wasteful with their money for buying something that you don’t like. Everyone else that has commented on this thread was able to do so in a polite way so why can’t you?

You chose a thread that has been marked for a discussion that isn't going to be about things people like. And - based on your replies to posts by other users in this thread - you are policing it based on how you think people should be allowed to express their opinions.

I particularly dislike the Love collection because it is virtually just a series of markings on a plain gold band. There is no real workmanship, no design, etc, in my opinion, that justifies a very obvious multiple of 10x+. It's all about having the brand's markings. And if someone buys that, then to me, they're either rich enough to afford paying that (great for them), or they have poor sense. I'm blunt, so I use the term stupid, which is not vulgar

Just like to you, saying that someone has poor sense for making a certain buying decision is in bad taste.

I don't like Rolexes either and I wouldn't call anyone lacking in sense for buying one, because it's so much more than just markings on a plain gold band. So I disagree that I'm being childish - I'm not saying things are s***y just because I don't like them.

I actually like Rose des Vents and VCA jewelry, but I'm not slamming those, am I? So I disagree with you that my posts indicate that I'm envious of owners of the Love collection (and I think the word you are looking for is spiteful, not envious)

Even if I wanted to be envious or spiteful of people who owned jewelry, the Love collection doesn't quite cut it in terms of rarity or beauty or value.

I'll concede that I'm being judgmental and possibly a little supercilious, but so are you, just that you feel you have the moral high ground to make assumptions on my character or reasons for making certain statements (oh, she must be envious / spiteful because she's saying that people are stupid for buying it!). If anything, you're taking this personally and making it personal

Feel free to continue to do so but I've explained my reasoning and won't be replying to you further as it's just going to keep going in circles.