Are Louboutins outdated?

I wear them BECAUSE they are comfortable, and fit my foot perfectly like no other shoe brand. I wish the "decline" showed up by way of availability. Every pair is almost always sold out in my size, always (39) it's maddening because I can never find what I want. They are always gone in 30 seconds! I also don't equate looking sexy to asking/ beckoning to be raped or assaulted, and I see that as victim blaming (if you wouldn't have worn xyz then maybe this wouldn't have happened). I am a sexual assault (violent) survivor and I wear the hell out of my CL's. High-end fashion rarely prioritizes comfort over aesthetic. Your local mall will have plenty of choices for you if "all day comfort" is your goal.

Most women (80%) dress sexy for themselves, and most women wear designer things with logos for other women (men hardly notice). I don't think there is any equivalent to what you are saying, and zero correlation. If you wanted to say, maybe the decrease in demand for stilettos is related to the workforce becoming more and more casual over time, and people working from home, restaurants being closed for COVID, people less interested in formal attire, maybe. But to throw in #metoo is irresponsible and gaslighting. So if people are stopping wearing CL's because of #metoo, those of us that do wear them are....what?

CL makes just as many, if not more, styles in flats, boots, wedges, pool slides, block heels etc as stilettos so perhaps you are not truly appreciating the variety of the brand and only thinking CL is emblematic of a singular style?

Def one of the more bizarre posts I've come across in quite some time. If you don't like them, don't buy them.

Seems like you’re looking for a fight.

I have not implied that wearing Louboutins or stilettos means a woman is asking to be harassed or assaulted. I’m well aware that the perpetrator is 100% responsible for their actions, and how a woman acts or dresses has nothing to do with harassment or assaults. I also know that most women dress for themselves and what makes them feel good, whether that’s for comfort or beauty or sexiness.

I’m only pointing out that the designer himself has displayed attitudes that are a bit dated and similar to the sexist attitudes that have been highlighted recently by #metoo (and which we’re presumably all against).

Whether that bothers you or not is an individual choice, and I posted the question because I was curious if Christian Louboutin’s words did bother anyone—and if so in what ways it affects how they interact/perceive the brand.

I do like heels and stilettos, but you’re right that I will probably not be buying Louboutins because his words do happen to bother me. It’s okay if you or others love them and feel differently.

Last edited:

:rolleyes:

She isn't looking for a fight. You came into a Christian Louboutin forum and basically accused him of being a perv. I don't know how you expected people to react.

Also, you chose little bits & pieces of things he's said over the years - frankly taken out of context, as those of us who KNOW HIM and also have been collecting for years & years understand - to ad hoc some odd MeToo comparison.

So I'll reiterate what she said. If ya don't like em, don't buy em.

@mama_nacho could you say what statements you’re referring to? The ones I’m aware of, he has said he designs his shoes for style, not comfort, but says he does not intentionally make them uncomfortable.

I have not implied that wearing Louboutins or stilettos means a woman is asking to be harassed or assaulted. I’m well aware that the perpetrator is 100% responsible for their actions, and how a woman acts or dresses has nothing to do with harassment or assaults. I also know that most women dress for themselves and what makes them feel good, whether that’s for comfort or beauty or sexiness.

I’m only pointing out that the designer himself has displayed attitudes that are a bit dated and similar to the sexist attitudes that have been highlighted recently by #metoo (and which we’re presumably all against).

Whether that bothers you or not is an individual choice, and I posted the question because I was curious if Christian Louboutin’s words did bother anyone—and if so in what ways it affects how they interact/perceive the brand.

I do like heels and stilettos, but you’re right that I will probably not be buying Louboutins because his words do happen to bother me. It’s okay if you or others love them and feel differently.

I think people are just unaware of the context you're providing here... can you give examples so people can follow your reasoning? I don't have a dog in this fight.. not fan or foe but I was just curious about the topic.

WRT the shoes themselves, I don't think they are outdated. The hype isn't as high but when I see women wearing the shoes or I see them in a store, I don't think, "That is so 2000" or anything like that. I do think you see super high platform heels less in general these days, though, across brands...

Well, on another thread, some posters are fans of Cardi B's song (song?) WAP. How's that for a #MeToo era addition? The very popular Cardi B definitely not averse to raciness. If that song flies, and it does, CL's are the least of anyone's problem.

I’m not going to try and derail this thread but WAP is a song by two women, about what THEY want in bed. It’s about women being in control of their sexuality, being dominant and unashamed of their sexual wants. I have no idea why you’re trying to equate CLs to that song; the point that was made about CLs was that they became famous as a symbol of status and of rigidly controlled femininity - you can’t walk very quickly or be terribly dexterous in the most famous styles, and sky-high heels are for a woman who sits and is waited on, and when she stands her body is forced in to a more sexually appealing posture. You’re also being incredibly obtuse about what the Me Too movement is about, if you think it’s about prudishness and suggesting that women want chastity you haven’t been paying attention.

Now, young women are increasingly rejecting the idea that 6 inch stilettos and skin tight dresses are the only way to look sexy; look at the rise of streetwear and even loungewear, where comfort is key and you can look cool and appealing while also wearing sneakers and oversized shapes.

I’m 30 and I’m able to remember when CLs were *the* status item that young women wanted, and I’m also able to recognize that the tide is turning. Clubbing isn’t coming back any time soon in most jurisdictions thanks to covid, and even before that young millennials and gen z were less interested in big nights out with bottle service than their older counterparts once were. The idea of what outfits turns heads on a dinner out has changed dramatically over the last few years. An average 21 year old that would have loved a pair of red bottoms a decade ago is more likely to now be in to thrifted clothes and prioritizes comfort and self expression about chasing a luxury item and trying to fit in.

Of course there will always be exceptions and I’m speaking from a North American centric POV (though thanks to the internet and image oriented apps like Insta and TikTok youth culture is more diffuse and globalized than ever before). Many young women still want and wear CLs. But over all they are not the powerhouse luxury item they were seen as not long ago. Plus, many of those once-key styles like platforms and peep toes just look dated now so while other brands are seeing a big boom on the second hand market, CLs don’t sell as quickly.

Related - here are two Cosmo magazine covers, one from 2012 and one from June 2020. Women’s magazines are desperately trying to stay afloat and have done a 180 from the way they used to chide women about their bodies and print sex tips aimed at impressing men. It’s because young women (not all, but many) have very different outlooks on what it means to be a woman than their older sisters did. I think this tells the story of the downturn in popularity in CLs among some young women.

B95BCBEC-1B52-4C71-8226-6B9A81D7AE4C.jpeg20F75692-CAFE-411A-8EBA-7802B018A8F8.jpeg

Trends come and go, it's just a rule of life. For anyone who likes them, just keep them in your closet and I'm sure you'll see them coming back around again. (Or continue wearing them if you like them) Some of the stuff that's popular now I was SURE would've died in the 90's, like the kitten heel sandals. You never know.

I don't know if I agree though that 21 year olds are any less into status or fitting in now than before. The names have just changed. Louboutins -> Celine -> Supreme (obviously crossing styles here). I think the current style is more 90's inspired than comfort with the grandpa sneakers, deep V swimwear, big hoodies, etc.

Trends come and go, it's just a rule of life. For anyone who likes them, just keep them in your closet and I'm sure you'll see them coming back around again. (Or continue wearing them if you like them) Some of the stuff that's popular now I was SURE would've died in the 90's, like the kitten heel sandals. You never know.

I don't know if I agree though that 21 year olds are any less into status or fitting in now than before. The names have just changed. Louboutins -> Celine -> Supreme (obviously crossing styles here). I think the current style is more 90's inspired than comfort with the grandpa sneakers, deep V swimwear, big hoodies, etc.

I’m 32 and had to Google what Supreme was...lol. I’m an example of your point :smile:

@mama_nacho could you say what statements you’re referring to? The ones I’m aware of, he has said he designs his shoes for style, not comfort, but says he does not intentionally make them uncomfortable.

“The core of my work is dedicated not to pleasing women, but to pleasing men. Men are like bulls - they cannot resist the red sole” (Source)

“What is sexual in a high heel is the arch of the foot," Christian Louboutin said in an interview last week, "because it is exactly the position of a woman's foot when she orgasms. So, putting your foot in a heel, you are putting yourself in a possibly orgasmic situation.” (Source)

“One moves more slowly in heels. Walking fast is neither sexy nor engaging. Nobody notices the people who race around. If you're walking in heels, you've got time. It's much more attractive.” (Source)

“The core of my work is dedicated not to pleasing women, but to pleasing men. Men are like bulls - they cannot resist the red sole” (Source)

“What is sexual in a high heel is the arch of the foot," Christian Louboutin said in an interview last week, "because it is exactly the position of a woman's foot when she orgasms. So, putting your foot in a heel, you are putting yourself in a possibly orgasmic situation.” (Source)

“One moves more slowly in heels. Walking fast is neither sexy nor engaging. Nobody notices the people who race around. If you're walking in heels, you've got time. It's much more attractive.” (Source)

WOW. I had no idea he made such comments.

Thank you for providing the quotes and the source. This is definitely something I want to look into more.

CL's statements remind me of Salvador Dali. A waaaaay out there guy who was very eccentric, nonetheless always touted as a genius. The more outrageous he was the more people liked him.
I am sure he wouldn’t make the same comments as he did almost a decade ago either. The climate has changed. Nonetheless I appreciate his passion and art. I am sure plenty of people were offended at the time, years ago, but fashion is full of controversy and innuendo. It pushes limits. His comments are not offensive to me, even if that’s not how I would express myself, because that’s how he channels his creativity.

I would also add that most designers now aren’t making sensual clothes (meaning eliciting of the senses, including the sexually provocative - minus maybe Tom Ford and Oliver Rousteing) and instead it’s grandpa sneakers, sweatpants, mom jeans and burlap sacks. Fashion is more androgynous because the world turned casual. Jeans jeans jeans. I DO think CL kept up though, because most of what I buy, and I buy a lot, is more goth/moto/edgy (a ton of this in his collections over the last 5 years) and less stiletto. I find much of the CL I buy and the loads of LV footwear I also buy (their stuff fits divinely) has the same vibe. I find it all very current and not outdated. But, I never bought anything for the name, or the "red sole", I just bought what I liked. And what was comfortable ;)

Last edited:

Ok, here we are: I will NEVER wear his effing shoes. Did not like them before, now I hate them ;):biggrin:

Last edited:
I feel like their classic. I haven’t bought any new ones in over a year. I’ve really pared down and sold off a few pairs. I still have my first gold glitter platform peep toes, a chunky winter boot, nude heels and my belle booties that I wear the most. The younger girls in the office go crazy for them. I’ve had them for quite a few years now but they are the best wearable CL for me. Here’s 2 pics inside in my phone

View attachment 4793900

View attachment 4793901

oh my gosh, i love these boots! can you tell me the style name??

giphy - 2020-06-25T221645.211.gifgiphy - 2020-06-25T221645.211.gif

Last edited: