Chamonix leather for handbag

birkincurious

Sep 18, 2006
I couldn't find much about this on the forum. Does anyone have any opinions on Chamonix leather. I was wondering how it would be for a handbag, like a bolide or plume, not a birkin. Is it practical for everyday? I understand it does not take to the rain very well. Any thoughts would be welcome.

I have a chamonix Birkin which I ADORE - although I wouldn't say it was a good everyday leather. I have found it to be OK with moisture, but wouldn't take it out in a shower. It's a very delicate leather for corner scratches. Perfect for a clutch bag! It's quite a decadent leather, as it needs a little care at all times, but the payoff is it's an absolutely delicious look for a bag - a matte version of creamy boxcalf.

Chamonix is a fantastic leather.....one of my favorites. I love the matte finish.......I didn't find mine to be too delicate and when caught in a light drizzle the drops whiped off very nicely.

Chamonix is a fantastic leather.....one of my favorites. I love the matte finish.......I didn't find mine to be too delicate and when caught in a light drizzle the drops whiped off very nicely.
Wipe it quickly, I've seen opaque water spots if the water is not wiped down. Just a note, it will lose its matte finish as it ages.

if you have the chance to buy a chamonix bag, then definitely get it! this is a great leather that unfortunately is not currently produced in mass quanitities (for handbags, at least). i adore chamonix.

Reactions: Virevolte
I have a chamonix rouge H clutch which I absolutely adore, and I don't think I could have done a better purchase. That said it's a clutch, and even if I haven't used it a lot, I can tell from now it's quite prone to showing scratches and wear on corners, so even if I love this leather to pieces I wouldn't choose it for an everyday or very big bag.

I find chamonix especially beautiful in rouge H and naturel. For what's regarding black i only like it if it comes with white stitching (but it usually comes with black stitching, whereas rouge H and naturel come with usually come with white stitching)

I have a chamonix rouge H clutch which I absolutely adore, and I don't think I could have done a better purchase. That said it's a clutch, and even if I haven't used it a lot, I can tell from now it's quite prone to showing scratches and wear on corners, so even if I love this leather to pieces I wouldn't choose it for an everyday or very big bag.

I find chamonix especially beautiful in rouge H and naturel. For what's regarding black i only like it if it comes with white stitching (but it usually comes with black stitching, whereas rouge H and naturel come with usually come with white stitching)

YOur clutch is seriously lovely. I agree that really, you couldn't have done better with the combo you have.

Having seen rouge H now in chamonix I'm actually getting a little less fixated with my grail rouge H boxcalf. I love the matte look of chamonic.