Consigning with The Real Real TRR

Update: Fashionphile emailed today to say payment has been initiated.

I wish all of you luck in the items you have sent, hopefully you will see movement soon! Please stay safe & be well

Thank you, and I’m glad to hear your good news! That must be a relief.
I received a call today out of the blue from The RealReal asking if I wanted to consign more items. I told the representative that since my current items were still in limbo in a California warehouse I was not interested in consigning anything else at this time. The representative told me that she would check on the status and called me back about 10 minutes later, saying that they were being shipped from California to New Jersey to be processed, and that some items had progressed to the stage of having photographs taken for listing on the site. I am somewhat ambivalent at this point whether to just see the process through, but I suppose I will give it a couple more weeks to see what happens.
My concierge representative had sent me a nice text a few days ago alerting me that she was resigning. I am not surprised. I couldn’t read the full article posted above since it seems to have a firewall, but the gist is not promising or surprising.

I have an account with TRR and I haven't received that email, either. I would never give them that information.

its not an email!! If you update the app, once it installs the new version and you go to TRR, you get a yellow banner on My Sales saying you must supply this information in order to receive consignor payments due to “federal regulations”. This seems really dodgy to me and I am not sure what to do. They WILL share this information with others, but I have no idea who or why.? It sounds like if you don’t supply it they won’t pay you.

its not an email!! If you update the app, once it installs the new version and you go to TRR, you get a yellow banner on My Sales saying you must supply this information in order to receive consignor payments due to “federal regulations”. This seems really dodgy to me and I am not sure what to do. They WILL share this information with others, but I have no idea who or why.? It sounds like if you don’t supply it they won’t pay you.

Looks like a previous replier found a way around it:

I have sold a lot (at a loss, also) on TRR over the last year and received a request on my TRR sales page for SSN for my direct deposits. I phoned them and asked what this was about, as I also didn't want anything going to the IRS or needing to give them my sensitive information. I was told that it was only for the direct deposits (not mailed checks) and it was due to their changing their vendor for implementing the direct deposits and that these payments would be more secure this way. Needless to say, I don't believe them, and changed my payment to mailed checks and have not been asked for my SSN anymore. HTH

Does anyone else think it's odd that The Real Real is requiring sellers to give their date of birth and last 4 digits of SSN to comply with federal regulations and to process payment? I don't know which "federal regulation" they are referring to and when I asked customer service about it, they said I don't need to provide it if I continue to receive my payments in the same method.

Also, I have another issue with The Real Real. I bought a pair of Chanel boots and Prada boots that I had returned. They received the return last week and refunded me for the Prada boots only and initiated ANOTHER return for the Chanel boots. So instead of providing me a refund for the Chanel, they started another return and gave me a shipping label. WTH? Now the RMAs are not identical and customer service is giving me different reasons for the delay: I haven't sent in the Chanel boots because the second shipping label hasn't been accepted by UPS, they're re-authenticating the Chanel boots, etc.

It sucks because I JUST consigned 20+ items with them on Monday and on the way to the warehouse. I think at this point I might start a dispute with my credit card company because clearly customer service has no idea what they're doing. However, I'm worried that they might close my account and do not return my consigned items.

Fashionphile and Yoogis might make mistakes sometimes, but TheRealReal is the only consignment store that does not allow returns. Even if you prove that your item is fake they will tell you that you are wrong and they only sell authentic goods.
I’ve returned two or three bags when there has been a discrepancy between the listing and what I’ve received. Customer service has always been very polite and professional in my experience.

Reactions: RT1
i hate to rain any more on the parade but I also just had an unscrupulous business dealing with the realreal. They recently had a promotion for site credit awards based on the amount you spent. I purchased a few things a decided to splurge (for me anyway) and buy an Ippolita Necklace to take me to the next award level. It was a multi item order and when it came, the Necklace was not in the shipment. I waited a couple more days and when it wasn't shipped 7 days after purchase, I sent an email to customer service.. they looked into it and after a couple more days, they said there was a warehouse inventory error and the necklace wasn't available. They refunded the purchase price and it knocked me down to the next lower award tier so I asked that they award the higher award since I did what was required ,, and even spent the refund on another purchase so i would still meet the threshold for the higher award. She said since i met the requirements, she would request for the original award and that if approved i would receive email with the promo code for the credit. I found out today that not only did they deny the request, they also have the very necklace that "wasn't available", for sale at a higher price!.. I would be very leery of doing business with them.. they are not the company they used to be..

Reactions: Nessa60 and RT1
I just posted this on another thread... I will reiterate that until now I've had nothing but good relations with TRR but this just pissed me off.

"It was a good run but we're done. The last couple of years I've purchased from TRR and have been reasonably happy. When covid hit and the borders closed I emailed AND called TRR to ask what country of origin they put on the bags when they shipped internationally, fully expecting to hear that Italy, France etc., would be listed. I was told that they AlWAYS (their word) put the USA as country of origin. Great, I thought, being Canadian and part of the Free Trade Agreement that means no duty for me.
So, I purchase my Hermes bag and am charged $200 duty because France was listed as country of origin. Call TRR and they're very apologetic and give me a site credit which I use to purchase another bag. Charged duty again. This time they say that the first time the credit was a courtesy and that it's up to me to pay tax and duty. Well yes, it is, but based on their advice the duty shouldn't have been charged. No apology for the incorrect info (which I have in writing) only a statement saying I need to deal with Canada customs. Uh, no, they won't do anything because TRR put Italy as the country or origin. Let me say again, I have no problem paying tax and duty, but based my decision to ship to Canada on TRR's incorrect information.
So, for the lack of an $80 site credit they've lost a loyal customer (over two dozen bags in the last two years). Not the way I'd run a business but there you are."

i hate to rain any more on the parade but I also just had an unscrupulous business dealing with the realreal. They recently had a promotion for site credit awards based on the amount you spent. I purchased a few things a decided to splurge (for me anyway) and buy an Ippolita Necklace to take me to the next award level. It was a multi item order and when it came, the Necklace was not in the shipment. I waited a couple more days and when it wasn't shipped 7 days after purchase, I sent an email to customer service.. they looked into it and after a couple more days, they said there was a warehouse inventory error and the necklace wasn't available. They refunded the purchase price and it knocked me down to the next lower award tier so I asked that they award the higher award since I did what was required ,, and even spent the refund on another purchase so i would still meet the threshold for the higher award. She said since i met the requirements, she would request for the original award and that if approved i would receive email with the promo code for the credit. I found out today that not only did they deny the request, they also have the very necklace that "wasn't available", for sale at a higher price!.. I would be very leery of doing business with them.. they are not the company they used to be..

Not raining on anyone's parade. The experiences that many of us have shared just gives us insight into how
this company does business.
I have had several episodes with incorrect measurements, smells & condition not described accurately.
TRR unfortunately has a poorly trained staff & the customer service leaves a lot to be desired.

Reactions: ccbaggirl89
I just posted this on another thread... I will reiterate that until now I've had nothing but good relations with TRR but this just pissed me off.

"It was a good run but we're done. The last couple of years I've purchased from TRR and have been reasonably happy. When covid hit and the borders closed I emailed AND called TRR to ask what country of origin they put on the bags when they shipped internationally, fully expecting to hear that Italy, France etc., would be listed. I was told that they AlWAYS (their word) put the USA as country of origin. Great, I thought, being Canadian and part of the Free Trade Agreement that means no duty for me.
So, I purchase my Hermes bag and am charged $200 duty because France was listed as country of origin. Call TRR and they're very apologetic and give me a site credit which I use to purchase another bag. Charged duty again. This time they say that the first time the credit was a courtesy and that it's up to me to pay tax and duty. Well yes, it is, but based on their advice the duty shouldn't have been charged. No apology for the incorrect info (which I have in writing) only a statement saying I need to deal with Canada customs. Uh, no, they won't do anything because TRR put Italy as the country or origin. Let me say again, I have no problem paying tax and duty, but based my decision to ship to Canada on TRR's incorrect information.
So, for the lack of an $80 site credit they've lost a loyal customer (over two dozen bags in the last two years). Not the way I'd run a business but there you are."

My sentiments exactly.. It was a good run & now it's over.. Time to move on to other internet sites that will
value & respect a client with a history. Two dozen bags in the last two years is pretty good. I'd be fighting
left & right to keep you as a client.
I stopped making purchases from TRR because their measurements were inaccurate, the descriptions
were often not clear & wrong & at times there was a "smell" from storage or not proper handling of the item
There is a big turnover at TRR & it is now reflecting across the board from cs down shipping
Retailing is going to be very challenging going forward& if sites like TRR are not going to step up
to the plate & treat clients & acknowledge their 'errors" they will take a hit & I think it will be a BIG ONE!

My sentiments exactly.. It was a good run & now it's over.. Time to move on to other internet sites that will
value & respect a client with a history. Two dozen bags in the last two years is pretty good. I'd be fighting
left & right to keep you as a client.
I stopped making purchases from TRR because their measurements were inaccurate, the descriptions
were often not clear & wrong & at times there was a "smell" from storage or not proper handling of the item
All of this things, yes, but I did manage to get some great bags from them. Even with their faults I'd love to have continued to shop there but when the error was clearly theirs (I emailed CS and asked them to pass my thoughts to management, along with a copy of the email I received with the erroneous info) and they won't make restitution, I'll vote with my wallet.

Most know about my early experiences with TRR; the out-&-out theft of my jewelry (high-end) and my battle with them (had to bring in an Attorney). Bottom line, the whole concept and funding was a Private Equity venture .. which, in itself is interesting given that there were originally 3 partners (limited partnership) but then one of them (a large & very reputable investor) pulled out last year (can't blame them when the Prospectus clearly stated that "the RealReal does not see a profit in the foreseeable future") - WHAT?????

This type of business really requires someone to understand the consignment market, and TRR's CEO not only doesn't, but alas .. she is just in it for the $$$. Even some of their locations are so ridiculous; why the need for a huge Home Office in the middle of San Francisco (KA-CHING $$$$$) .. oh yeah, because that is where the CEO lives!

I think (at I have found this to be the case in most situations), the folks that work there are nice and they do mean well, but they are overseen by others who are also all about the $$$ (that's Corporate America today). Like @muchstuff , I managed to get some MEGA-deals on not only Balenciaga bags, but Jewelry (where they had ZERO clue of the designer)!!! Alas, not so much the case anymore and given that I'm not working, can't afford sh!t anyhow (BOO :crybaby:)!!! In general, I say caveat emptor in regards to buying/dealing with TRR.